It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Really bad pain

Hi,
Today i went to ER because this pain i had in my chest back and shoulder was too much to deal with alone.

I had some lunch then ben tover slightly wrapping xmas presents, within 20 mins i had acute heartburn (nothing new) so took a ranitidine and thought it might tail off !!!! IT DID NOT.

I then started to have what i can only explain as a stabbing ache or pain in my upper gut area where the food leaves the oesophagus and enters the stomach right in the centre. It then proceeded to go through to my back abd up the right side of my shoulder into my right side jaw area. The wave of pain was so excrtiiating i thought i was seriously having a heart attack. IT made me physically sick and sweaty with the pain. This kept coming in waves for about half hour until I could take it no more and called an ambulance who came did an ecg and then took me to ER.

The evg was normal, all my bloodwok was normal, i even had amylase to check my pancreas was working ok, it was fine. I had a chest xray which the Doctor was happy with also.

So she said it looks like a bad case of indigestion !!! i will never laugh at people with indigestion again, NEVER. Labour pains having a child is less painful than i experienced today.

They gave me buscopan, more antacids and paracetamol which took the edge of it. I came home with tramadol which are very strong pain meds.

I was hungry so the Doc said have something non fat based so i had some toast and ham and some cereals with milk. Its been an hour since i ate it and im getting the pain again, not as bad as today but its come back

I KNOW I cant tolerate that pain again. The hospital just said go see your own Doctor. What for? maybe an endo? what can they do? i just know in this day and age we do not need to suffer that sort of pain.

Anyone else had this sort of thing before? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Really bad pain

I hate to tell you but ham and milk are fatty foods! It sounds like it may be gallbladder. Eat no fat - no dairy that isn't non fat, no cakes, cookies, sauces, red meat, eggs, nothing friend, no salad dressing, no mayo, etc. No fat means no fat. Go see your regular doctor and ask for an ultrasound to rule out stones. If it comes back negative, ask for a HIDA scan to check for function. Below 35% and it should come out.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks titchou for your help.
Had a pain free night but sitting in bed this morning terrified to eat or drink anything.

My reg doc just called, he's arranging for an urgent ultrasound of my gall bladder abdominal area.

I hope I can get it done quick as I'm scared to eat. What CAN I eat that is fat free?????
The pain meds didn't touch the pain so I'm dread g eating and bringing it back on again

Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

Poor Bucket
I hope it not your gallbladder dr as of lately well atleast hear like to take those out when that is not the issue so be cautious. I myself have had the same thing you have had happen to me.along with the trip to the ER so frustrating when these attacks happen out of the blue with no warning. More than likely your throat is inflamed from your heartburn and pressing on you vagus nerve causing your heart like symptoms no that's only if your and your dr have cleared your heart of any issues. It is so hard to find a knowledgable GI dr that knows how to deal with these things and is open to try whatever it takes.
Hang in there and good luck.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had the abdo scan, the monographer said there was nothing unusual to report. My gall bladder was healthy and normal, liver and kidneys too, which is a relief.

So I'm thinking it must have been a very bad case of indigestion made worse by this stupid hiatus hernia I have.

Seems the only answer now is to lose some weight and see if that helps with the hernia symptoms.

I've been in bed past 3 days with flu and now a terrible cold, my body feels totally wracked in pain, and I have been dragged through the mill, I feel so weak.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

I to have a hiatal hernai some days are good some are bad weight loss will help I recently lost 5 lbs and are trying to lose more not easy but it have help with pressure and food wanting to come back up on me also with less pain in the chest area hmmm i gotta try to lose more to see if it is something that can help good luck

Closed Thread