It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

KattyKay HB User
Please Help! Stomach Ache

Hi All,

This past September, I woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and having severe nausea. It lasted for a couple of more days so I went to the ER where they thought that I contract E. Coli. They gave me nausea meds, IV liquids and sent me home. They said I would feel better by the end of the week. After a week of the same, I went back to the ER, was given nausea meds, IV liquids and they took a CT scan which was normal. Since then, I have been feeling better, the nausea is gone, no more diarrhea, green stool. However, every time I eat, especially if it is anything more than soup, my stomach feels like lead is in it and I have a stomach ache. The stomach ache feels more like a muscle ache- similar to an ache after you do a bunch of sit-ups. The pain is right underneath my sternum and at times can radiate right or left. So it is not something that it is horrible but it is uncomfortable, it usually lasts anywhere from 10 mins to an hour after eating.

I have had numerous tests- blood tests for Chrons, Celiac, H. Pylori, gall bladder, etc etc. I have also had an ultrasound, endoscopy, and gastric empyting test all were OK. The doctor is now pretty much telling me that it is all in my head but I know itís not. Any thoughts?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: Please Help! Stomach Ache

You can get something called post infection spastic colon. I had camplyobacter and e Colin and my bowel I'm afraid to say has not been right since, that was a year ago.

Your gut and bowels becomes much more sensitive to foods post infection. Try to eat lots of probiotics and not too spicy foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

KattyKay HB User

That makes total sense and my GI doctor did mention that the digestive system becomes more sensitive after an infection. However, I didn't think that it would take this long to totally recover. And I think it is more frustrated when he pretty much just told me it is in my head and I should try to eat regular food.

I thought about going to see another GI doctor but with the type of insurance I have it was hard enough to get a referral. If I could get rid of the stomach tenderness after I eat, I would feel much better.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

There is no fast sure way to get rid of post eating pain after infection.
All you can do is try to keep your stress to a minimum. Eat plenty of probiotics, yoghurt and buy a good supplement from the health store.

Stay away from things like wine and acidy foods also curries too.

You might want to look up on google the FODMAP diet. IT tell you the foods that irritate the gut lining so you maybe should avoid them too.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

My Stomach has never been the same since treatment for H.Pylori and I agree with your Dr that the stomach becomes more sensitive after infection.
Take Probiotics and try Aloe-Vera juice, I found this really helped but you do need to stick with it for at least four weeks before making a decision.
Also try Domperidone before meals and eat smaller meals and more often.
Hope this helps,

Solofelix.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

Jennuine84 HB UserJennuine84 HB User

domperidone is usually used for people with gastroparesis and have poor stomach digestion and motility. its also hard to get as you can only get it out of country, since the united states does not provide access to it.

was your stomach motility/digestion ever tested, did you take a stomach emptying test? just a suggestion as to why you keep having problems.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
(female)

KattyKay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennuine84 View Post
domperidone is usually used for people with gastroparesis and have poor stomach digestion and motility. its also hard to get as you can only get it out of country, since the united states does not provide access to it.

was your stomach motility/digestion ever tested, did you take a stomach emptying test? just a suggestion as to why you keep having problems.

Hi,

Yes I had a gastric emptying test that was normal. I've had a CT,MRI, ultrsound, tons of blood tests for things like infectious diseases ,celiac ,crohns, etc. At first the doctor said it was GERD. Now he says it is in my head. I am taking protonix before meals and zantac before bed.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

Jennuine84 HB UserJennuine84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyKay View Post
Hi,

Yes I had a gastric emptying test that was normal. I've had a CT,MRI, ultrsound, tons of blood tests for things like infectious diseases ,celiac ,crohns, etc. At first the doctor said it was GERD. Now he says it is in my head. I am taking protonix before meals and zantac before bed.
I deal with reflux, was on dexilant for 10 months. protonix never worked for me. but I never had stomach pain like that with reflux. it seems like they are missing something. i hate when docs say "its in your head" just because they cant give you an answer. that doesnt mean its in our head. if a test doesnt show something in black and white it can't possibly exist, but yet we are stuck with the complications and symptoms. doctors are disappointing these days.

Reply Reply