It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Gastric Emptying Study for nausea?

Hi Everyone!

i have been on a 5 month path now that started out with a diagnosis of reflux which then led to needing my gallbladder out which now has left me with constant nausea and I am 3 weeks post surgery. Today the surgeon had me go to an ASAP appt with the GI doc who said maybe food might be sitting to long in my stomach so we needed to do a gastric emptying study - on Christmas eve!!! lol....so whats it like? is it going to be difficult for me since I am so nauseated that I cant eat? I have lost 80lbs so far honestly am just nauseated all the time, and after I try to eat it is worse. I never hurl, but sometimes I do have "looseness" right after I eat, which I know can be my body adjusting to the new bile flow.

Any thoughts on how to decrease the nausea?? I am desparate!!!

Thanks, Wendy

Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Gastric Emptying Study for nause?

hi Wendy, I soooo feel your pain. I have been dealing with nausea since april at least. I munch on pretzels, they really seem to help along w/ some flat pepsi. I also buy ginger gum from local drug store, it ain't cheap either but it works. Chammoille tea helps too. I take zofran 8 mg as well. that helps a lot.

I've had upper/lower gi tests, just had mrcp yesterday and hida scan today. I think the emptying study will be next but I don't eat eggs. Maybe they can give you zofran via iv prior to the study. call the hospital and ask about it.

I actually set my alarm in the middle of the night and take my zofran so I meet my npo requirements before my tests.

whatever you do don't let them give you reglan. it can give you terrible side effects it is one of the drugs given for slow digestion. PLEASE.

good luck and lmk how it goes ok? I hope if I have one they can give me something besides eggs because I hate eggs! Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
hi Wendy, I soooo feel your pain. I have been dealing with nausea since april at least. I munch on pretzels, they really seem to help along w/ some flat pepsi. I also buy ginger gum from local drug store, it ain't cheap either but it works. Chammoille tea helps too. I take zofran 8 mg as well. that helps a lot.

I've had upper/lower gi tests, just had mrcp yesterday and hida scan today. I think the emptying study will be next but I don't eat eggs. Maybe they can give you zofran via iv prior to the study. call the hospital and ask about it.

I actually set my alarm in the middle of the night and take my zofran so I meet my npo requirements before my tests.

whatever you do don't let them give you reglan. it can give you terrible side effects it is one of the drugs given for slow digestion. PLEASE.

good luck and lmk how it goes ok? I hope if I have one they can give me something besides eggs because I hate eggs! Cathy
Ewww does it have to be eggs? I wonder if they can have ketchup on them cause that's the only way ill eat them! I have trouble consuming any food right now, and eat so slow because of the nausea which intensifies after I put food in the belly.

I had the hida scan...it was t too bad, but you have to lie there while the watch your gallbladder! Boring!

Zoo ran didn't Orkney for me post surgery, but phenergan does,,,,,but makes me sleepy!

I hope you find relief super soon! Why are they taking so long and making you suffer? April is a long time ago my friend!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, I know I have been dealing with this way too long. it seems they take forever to schedule a test then wait for results then another and another. I am so depressed. I cannot even watch food network! my son and his partner are coming down tomorrow and my hubby had to do the food shopping and will have to cook I will not be able to eat it I am worried about smelling it. my problem is I am gaining weight but I also have thyroid problems and addison's disease where I have to take hydrocortisone which is like steriods.

I do eat a lot of junk stuff I don't allow to get empty because then I have problems. I can eat bananas, cinnamon applesause (cinnamon helps with nausea), cinnamon toast, oatmeal, sometimes a pb&j sandwich. no dairy. mashed potatoes, rice. all bland stuff. soup sometimes. i have stage 3 reflux too which can cause nausea I take a prescription for that.

if I were you I would call the testing place tomrrow and see how the emptying study works and see how they can work with you I'm sure they've had folks like us before!!! ha!

Hope you get it figured out soon it sure ain't no fun especially during the holidays.

Cathy

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
wendya2J (12-20-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Re: Gastric Emptying Study for nausea?

Well, the test wasnt too bad just long!! I had to eat scrambled eggs (fortunately not all of them) that had radioactive isotopes in them - they also offered 2 pieces of toast, jelly and 6oz of water. After that, they took pictures immediately, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and 4 hours. I just laid on this scanner bed and the machine lowered till it was super close to my abdomen and they took 2 minutes worth of pictures. I was sooooo nauseaus afterwards though!!!! I took a phenergan and took a nap!! Kinda of messed up Christmas Eve!!

So I got the call today that my results showed a very delayed gastric emptying and that the Dr would talk to me about treatment when I saw him on 1/14....??? What?thats it? Im so nauseaus I cant even eat or drink much of anything and we are just leaving it hanging for 2 weeks???

I really think I want a new GI dr.....has anyone ever just switched dr's? what do you say or do???

Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Gastric Emptying Study for nausea?

Hi I know how you feel my hida and Mrcp came back normal surgeon is referring me back to gastro. Been throwing up for two days! Merry Christmas huh?

Why don't you call in am and see if they have a cancellation list explain your situation. Maybe ask to see a partner. I feel your pain.

I also have diarrhea w/ mine. Plus I have Addison's disease so this is stressing my adrenal glands. I just cry and cry so depressed.

Let us know what you find out. Cathy

Closed Thread