It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
(male)

Markusseven77 HB User
GERD / Acid Reflux, Panic Attacks, Anxiety Attacks, tingles, congestion, indigestion

All of these are related to each other. The source being acid reflux. If your doctor tells you that you need anxiety medicine, don't believe him. The problem causing all of these symptoms (Panic / Anxiety attacks, tingles in arms or other parts of the body, feeling like you're going to swallow your tongue, congestion, tightness of chest, indigestion, chills, hard time breathing, can't catch your breath after exercise, hard time or difficulty swallowing, etc..) all of these are caused by ACID REFLUX / GERD. I had all of these symptoms, and when I started taking aciphex, and then protonix, not only did it stop my acid reflux at night, but it also stopped all of these other symptoms as well.

I am a 29 year old male, and my mother had GERD / Acid Reflux for 28 years, until she finally developed Barrett's esophagus. I'm thinking the reason I have it, is because it's hereditary. I just really started getting the symptoms back at the start of 2010, and I believe it got exacerbated by me lifting weights, particularly the weight lifting exercise known as a SQUAT (I'm assuming anything where you bend your knees and go down with weight added, will really mess with your esophagus and the LES).

I have been on these pills now since August 2012, after I had been lifting weights for almost a year (Oct. 2011-August 2012), that's when I went to the E.R. because I was having a hard time breathing, I had tingles in my forearms, could barely swallow any food, felt like I was going to swallow my tongue for no apparent reason, chills in the middle of the night even when I wasn't cold, panic attacks, anxiety attacks, feeling of doom like I was about to die, etc.. When I got on these pills, all of these symptoms ceased, but I did have some side effects. I am now feeling a bit congested again though, like I have tightness in my chest. I've tried all the remedies under the sun, and it's very unpleasant that I have to go through life popping pills. Has anyone figured out a way to naturally cure GERD? It's a shame, because I've never drank, never smoked or done drugs, eat healthy as possible, tried to work out (which only seemed to make things worse, whereas in other normal people, it would help them), and I am still relatively young. Just wondering if others have experienced similar things as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Re: GERD / Acid Reflux, Panic Attacks, Anxiety Attacks, tingles, congestion, indigest

I would caution someone with those symptoms to seek medical advice. Unfortunately, symptoms of a stroke or heart attack are very similar or identical to the symptoms of someone with GERD and reflux. I have been to the ER three times thinking that it was heart related and ended up being reflux. I would hate for someone to think it is reflux when in fact they are having a cardiac event which can be deadly. In my opinion, I think it is best to rule out the cardiac cycle and then focus on the GI tract. It can save your life.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
(male)

Markusseven77 HB User
Re: GERD / Acid Reflux, Panic Attacks, Anxiety Attacks, tingles, congestion, indigest

I agree with you. I would always advise going to the doctor if you're experiencing all of these symptoms, because it can be mistaken for one or the other. I'm just giving you my own experience. When I hear people now say that they have panic attacks / anxiety attacks, I immediately ask them if they've ever had trouble with acid reflux or heartburn. Most of the time they tell me that they do have Acid Reflux. Once I started taking PPI pills for acid reflux, not only did it stop my acid reflux, but it also stopped all of those other symptoms such as panic attacks.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

Nole4ever HB User

Have you been checked for hiatal hernia? It is a leading cause of reflux/GERD.
If that is the issue, it can be surgically repaired with minimally invasive surgery. In most cases, only meds required after surgery may be PPIs such as Omeprazole (generic for Nexium, available OTC). I agree with the other posters - get a thorough physical workup and make sure what you are dealing with.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
(male)

Markusseven77 HB User

It could be, my mom has had Acid Reflux for 30 years (one year more than I've been alive), and I believe she may have had a hiatal hernia, and now has Barrett's Esophagus. So this is definitely a hereditary thing. I have had an endoscopy, and the only thing they told me was that my esophagus was a bit red and inflamed, but nothing else.

Closed Thread

Tags
congestion, esophagus, gerd - physical issues, indigestion, weight lifting