It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

keenap HB User
Sulfuric Burps during Abdominal Pain, then Vomiting/Diarrhea

I need some suggestions on what's wrong with me or help, please. I'm 19 year old female with no health problems other than this mysterious illness of mine.

Symptoms:
Sulfuric burps, intense abdominal pain, vomitting & diarrhea, ONLY DURING COLD WEATHER / WINTER and USUALLY at night.

History:
This is my third year of dealing with these symptoms, and I am very tired of it. I've always had rough tummy issues, but I'm beginning to realize these are not normal.

It normally starts with burping. One year I would burp for couple hours, tasting this horrible nastiness, while my stomach felt like there was something in there trying to claw it's way out. It was horrible. I would find myself over the toilet bowl, hurling several times until I was empty, then continued to dry heave. Right after vomitting, I'd experience a sudden onslaught of diarrhea I'd have to battle. This happened roughly 5 times that winter (from November – February ish). Once the cold weather passed, symptoms stopped. I was fine. The first time it happened we thought it was a 24 hour flu, but then it happened again a week or so later. And again. Lying in bed with horrible tummy aches and a bucket nearby.

The next year came along (last year), I don't remember the details all too well. I remember the stomach pains being much more intense, in near tears, rendered immobile. I remember going to the ER, and the doctor saying nothing was wrong, but he sent me out the door with some vicodin. It did nothing for me. I just threw it up. Burping, throwing up. Same as the year before. I was able to get an appointment with a GI doctor. I had a colonoscopy done. Nothing showed up. I went on to do this test where I drank this stuff, walked around for a few hours, and they watched it move through my body to see if anything was irregular. Nothing out of the norm. I was sent on my way and decided to forget about seeing the GI doctor again to have a “check up” since these symptoms wouldn't show up til winter again anyway. I knew the pattern by now.

Now this year has come along. I've been burping, not nearly as bad, but still consistently with that familiar but horrible taste in my mouth, for a few days now. The stomach pains were light. I was hoping it was from a candy overdose or something because I didn't want to face this again, but nope. I was belching again. The first year I was belching consecutively. No break for breath. This year it was more spaced out. I couldn't pass gas either. My stomach felt so upset, so I sat on the toilet, hoping to pass anything. No luck. Was blocked. Went to my bed to writh in pain until I decided it was time to see the ER again. I actually felt what I am convinced was a gas bubble move up from my intestines. Shortly after that, I began throwing up and then the diarrhea came. I went on to the ER, but after throwing up, my symptoms for that particular night always fade and come back another day, so there wasn't much to be done. I fell asleep in the ER. They didn't even get a urine sample off me, and they shooed me out the door with a prescription saying I had a stomach bug.

This happens every winter, very irregularly. Several times. It can be symptoms lasting for weeks or a sudden throw up fest. I am not prone to throwing up. I've thrown up more the past 3 winters than I have throughout my entire life. The belching is starting up again right now and so are the tummy troubles. I only went to the ER two nights ago, but I've had a little bit of belching all day. Does anyone have a clue what is going on in my body? Any remedies? Anything? Please... This happens sporadically and suddenly throughout the cold months and it directly inhibits my ability to function. I would lie in bed for hours until I'd finally throw up and relieve myself of my symptoms... I don't know what's wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
(female)

itzmoka67 HB User
Re: Sulfuric Burps during Abdominal Pain, then Vomiting/Diarrhea

Have you had your house checked? Maybe it has something to do with you heating system or something like that? There could be something in the filter that you are using in your furnace that your body is reacting to.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
(female)

keenap HB User

Update: I've found a lot of threads where people call this the rotten egg burps, and a lot of them seem to not have any clue, cures, or even know triggers.

I've concluded it doesn't happen just in winter or colder months. I am experiencing it less frequently, but thinking back, I can remember different instances when I've had these belches or have had the horrible stomach pain as a child, but the symptoms just change slightly and have over time gotten worse. I used to think everyone got them, and it only lasted one horrible night, so I never bothered to tell anybody. I specifically remember the belching as young as 8 and the stomach pain as young as 12-13.

I have also found my first trigger! I wasn't one to do any time of real running before, so after high school, I didn't bother with it. Now, I'm getting more active with my dog. I started teaching her to walk on a leash better which involved changing paces, and after that, I decided I'd just run with her the whole time. Well, both times I tried doing that, I got my abdominal pain again, but it was different. It was more mild, so not as painful, but it lasted longer. It lasted about 8 hours both times. Any pressure on my stomach was not appreciated. I still got the belches, but the vomiting never came. Neither did diarrhea. I did pass gas, but it was very difficult, and it gave better temporary relief than the belching. However, both times, I would not make a BM for the entire next day, which is super abnormal for me.

I would also like to mention that my diet has changed completely since even the last time I had an episode of this. I'm now vegetarian, transitioning to vegan, so I don't think a specific food, or at least meat, can be a trigger.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
(female)

keenap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzmoka67 View Post
Have you had your house checked? Maybe it has something to do with you heating system or something like that? There could be something in the filter that you are using in your furnace that your body is reacting to.
I am someone who refuses to turn on the heat or the AC if I can help it. My room hasn't seen the heat on until last winter, and since I've thought about it more and recognized I've had patterns of this in my childhood at different houses and even towns, I'm doubting heating is the case. Thanks for the suggestion though. It's something that could have been easily looked over.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I think you to quit going to the ER and see a PCP who can and will do a full workup. ER's aren't equipped to help you long term. You could have an ulcer, an infection, gallstones, no telling what but ER isn't going to do the testing for those things. Go have a physical.

Closed Thread

Tags
abdominal pain, belching, burping, diarrhea, vomiting