It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

tabogin HB User
Does this sound like gastroparesis?

For the last month and a half I have been experiencing constant nausea, loss of appetite and some vomiting. I have an upper GI endoscopy scheduled for next week but I'm not confident they will find anything and I am wondering if they will schedule me for a gastric emptying study.

The majority of my nausea is in the mornings. I wake up feeling very, very sick. Some days I start vomiting as soon as I get out of bed, but it is always dry heaves, there is nothing in my stomach. Then I usually start to feel better throughout the day although I can't really eat much. If I try to eat I get full very fast. As long as I don't push myself to eat too much I don't feel nauseous or anything afterwards, just very full for hours on end. Then sometimes I will start to feel really nauseous again at night. Some nights I will end up throwing up before I can go to sleep, on occasion I have woken up in the middle of the night to vomit. When I do vomit it doesn't seem as if I am vomiting undigested food. It is usually dry heaves or whatever I've most recently drank. Everything else sounds like GP, but the fact that I'm not vomiting undigested food is what gets me. I have no other symptoms, bowels have been pretty much normal.

Any insight you have would be appreciated! I have had an u/s of my gallbladder/liver/pancreas and that was normal (no HIDA scan yet), as well as lots of blood work.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Re: Does this sound like gastroparesis?

Hi!

Im battling similar issues. I did have a gastric empty study on 12/25 which did show delayed gastric emptying. I had my gallbladder out on 11/30. Nausea started about a week before the surgery, and was there as soon as I woke up from the surgery! I definately have good days and bad, but I hardly eat anything at this point at all because It makes me feel so sick!!! My new GI doc is treating the nausea first while we wait to get me in for a colonoscopy and he is also going to repeat the endoscopy since I will be knocked out anyway and he'd like to see in my tummy for himself. Our plan for right now is for me to take zofran 3x/day, eat 6 tiny meals in stead of 3 big ones and to do some supplemental drinks during the day to help maintain my weight. After he sees my stomach valves, we will discuss medication or botox for the delayed emptying. I dont vomit at all, but I am sooo nauseated and do wretch.....I feel so bad for you - this isnt fun!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Nausea and early satiety (feeling full with very little food ingested) are classic symptoms associated with ulcers. Early AM and nighttime increase in symptoms is classic too, as that is when the stomach is empty. I think the endoscopy will tell you something. It is important to have it done to rule out more serious things, and if nothing shows up, other tests should be done to figure this out. Gastroparesis is much less common, and usually causes more bloating discomfort than nausea. It is more common in Diabetics and those with peripheral neuropathy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Nausea and early satiety (feeling full with very little food ingested) are classic symptoms associated with ulcers. Early AM and nighttime increase in symptoms is classic too, as that is when the stomach is empty. I think the endoscopy will tell you something. It is important to have it done to rule out more serious things, and if nothing shows up, other tests should be done to figure this out. Gastroparesis is much less common, and usually causes more bloating discomfort than nausea. It is more common in Diabetics and those with peripheral neuropathy.
I nkow this is a really dumb question, but what does it feel like to be bloated vs feeling full early???? Im just not sure....thanks for answering my silly question!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

No question is silly! The difference is that feeling full means more like you don't want to eat any more. Bloating is more like you feel absolutely overstuffed, uncomfortable and your abdomen feels and may be distended. I have had severe bloating, and felt like my whole stomach and abdomen was going to rupture! I felt and looked like I was 9 months pregnant, had to unzip pants, unhook bra and it would take 1-2 hrs for it to go away after I ate. The cause in my case was a dairy and gluten intolerance that made me fill up with gas. There are lots of causes for bloating. I hope that helps you understand the difference.

Last edited by ladybud; 01-11-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: left out word

Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
(female)

wendya2J HB User

THanks so much - I guess I've had both! Has anyone else felt full and yet hungry at t he same time? THey say my stomach doesnt empty properly, but not too bad - yet I feel full after just a few bites. Is the gastric emptying scan the only way to dectect delayed emptying????

Closed Thread

Tags
gastroparesis, nausea, vomiting