It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

NHChic HB User
Lightbulb Diverticulitis pain?

In Nov. Had what was thought of to be my first diverticulitis attack. At the same time, I was diagnosed with pancreatitis. I had two issues going on at once. The CT scan at ER stated that I had inflammation on portion of descending colon. The results stated Ischemic colitis could be reason, but my gastro thinks it may be due to diverticulitis, as I do have diverticulosis. (and because at my age of 44, didnt think I was a candidate of ischemic colitis).

The ER never addressed the inflammation.

I then had gallbladder surgery and then pain in intestines and I was put on Cipro and flagyll. Im going on my 8th day of meds, and I feel so horrible and tired, and have bad diarrhea. But whats really bugging me is Im getting pain
on left side under rib, where I believe inflammation was. Its a nagging pain.
Never occurred before attack.

Just curious as to how long it takes to heal if it's truly diverticulitis. Im assuming if I had any dangerous problems, Id be bleeding and keeled over.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
(female)

Shirley2641 HB User
Re: Diverticulitis pain?

Hi, You say you had pancreatitis in November,have you had it checked out with the pain you're having anymore. I am 72 years old and found out I had chronic pancreatitis when I was 68. I realize now I had my first attack of acute pancreatitis before I was 18 years old and several more acute attacks through the years. My ER trips I was told I had Gastritis. I was also told I had gallbladder disease when I was 22 years old but it was quite a number of years more before I had my gallbladder removed. When my gallbladder was removed I still remained having pain in my right side. I also would have full-blown stomachaches, usually most of the evening after dinner. My MD had upper GIs and all the tests he thought of done and couldn't find anything wrong so he labeled me as having right sided diverticulitis. So for years this is what I thought was wrong with me and I just lived with it Then when I was 68 I woke up one morning with a stomach ache straight in the middle of my stomach,one bad enough I couldn't hardly sit still I was rocking back and forth. I went to the emergency room and this time they diagnosed me with acute pancreatitis and said I needed to see a doctor and get my pancreas checked,as my brother had died with pancreatic cancer. I live close to John Hopkins so that is where I got a doctor and went and they went down and checked my pancreas to make sure I didn't have cancer and I was told I had a disease pancreas. So now what I have is chronic pancreatitis due to having so many pancreatic attacks not knowing what they were. You say your pain is on the left side and my pain was on the right side but your pancreas is really in the middle in the back of your stomach so it makes me wonder. I would not go as far to say I would guess you have pancreatitis, but one never knows I guess and since you have had it it would be wise for you to watch out and not get into much more trouble with that like I have. I am wondering if it can hurt on the right side,can it not hurt on the left side also. They told me I had to really cut down on fats and dairy products and since I have done so I have way less pain and I'm doing much better. I really wish you well and hope to hear what your problems turn out to be. Seeing that you have had pancreatitis it really crossed my mind how many years I have spent trying to find out what was causing all of my pain and also wanting to warn you to be careful and watch your pancreas close so you would not be into chronic pancreatitis like I have. Much luck to you and I hope you recover and feel better soon. Shirley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
(female)

NHChic HB User

Wow, you have had quite a journey!!

What I initially felt on Nov 26 was cramps, thought I had to go to bathroom, but I thought my intestines would explode. God awful. Then I suffered through next 24 hours before I went into ER on my own.

They found I had pancreatitis. I had soreness in that area, but not severe pain like in the intestines.

Its strange, I had two things going on at once. I am curious about the thickened bowel area of the descending colon. My uncle is dying from colon cancer and while I am young, I still worry.

This is all an enigma. I went to the ER with intestinal pain and dx with pancreatitis.

Not sure if the two are connected. Dont think they are. I believe the pancreatitis is gone. But I am sore from under my rib cage down. Could be the tail, who knows. I know its not my gallbladder, cause it's gone!

Im sorry you suffered for so long.

What do you do for your disease?
best wishes!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
(female)

Shirley2641 HB User

Hi there,
I certainly hope you are feeling some better by now, it's pretty miserable when you suffer with stomach pain so long. I can well understand why you're so concerned, that C word is always at the bottom of our thoughts. I have no idea what diverticulitis feels like as I never apparently really had it.

What I have to do with this chronic pancreatitis is watch my diet eat very little meat and dairy products and that is really cut my pain down. I will tell you the pain that it can cause can make you rollup and roll and I really haven't had an attack like a real real attack, to end up in the ICU, as many of persons have. I have read some horror stories of people with chronic pancreatitis on the Internet and it tells me from what I have had I certainly hope to never get there. Not long after I found out I have this I almost headed to the emergency room one night I was pretty doubled up in pain but I managed to get over the worst and go to bed. I'll tell you, you watch every bite you put in your mouth after you feel the pain it can .cause. I have considered myself quite lucky since I've known I've had it from what I hear and have read about other people. Of course chronic pancreatitis can turn into cancer also so that is something you have to watch out for. My brother died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 52 and he had never been sick for a day in his life until he got that.How we never know what will happen next and when we get stomachaches it's so hard to guess what's going on in there. Please keep in touch so we can all know what's going on with you. I just pray that you get it resolved soon. Good luck! Shirley

Closed Thread