It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

Mommy47 HB User
Is this acid reflux???

Hi, for the past 2-3 weeks, I've been taking naproxen (NSAIDs) 1000mg/day for Achilles tendonitis. A few days ago I woke up, laughed and bam!! The worst like burning pain, felt like it started on my bottom teeth, but since then it's whenever I laugh, or cough, it feels like a tight, burning sensation in my throat. I also grind that side if my mouth with my teeth. Is this nerve pain from my grinding? Or acid reflux caused by the use of NSAIDS? I also drink a triple cappuccino a day, (soy) and iced tea. All have caffeine. I would appreciate any input!! I've had heartburn, but it doesn't feel like that. I also tell a lot when I calls kids, we have a big house, and I was I icing achilles, so I had to yell!! Lol

Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Is this acid reflux???

According to my doctor, NSAIDS can be "hard on the tummy." He doesn't like for me to take them and I've had need for a chronic wrist injury for the last couple years. It might be worth checking with your doctor to see if there are other better options to help you through your tendonitis.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Mommy47 (01-18-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: Is this acid reflux???

NSAIDs strip the gastro-intestinal tract of protective mucous and are acid forming. Sounds like what you experienced is severe heartburn due to the effects of the drug. I was on them too. Next step is you will be advised to take proton pump inhibitors to supposedly "protect the stomach" while you take NSAIDs. But, be warned, this doesn't mean the NSAIDs are safe, it just means you are not feeling the damage. And the PPIs are very dangerous. I, and many other people, got addicted to them, you can't get off them without severe, excrutiating acid rebound, much worse than the severe heartburn you feel as a result of the NSAIDs. The safest thing to do is to stop the NSAIDs. The achilles may hurt, but you can treat it with stretching and massage/ physio. Or something less strong, if you really want drugs.

Sorry if this sounds alarmist. Read the forums about the effects of NSAIDs, and if you even think about taking proton pump inhibitors, just to enable you to take NSAIDs, then read, read read about them before you go down that path. Where you are now there is hope. You will feel better very soon. Oh, and by the way, until you are better cut out all caffeine.

The Following User Says Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
Mommy47 (01-21-2013)
Closed Thread