It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Have to do the "Oscopies" next!

Hi!
I have to get a colonoscopy. Im not happy about it for sure....but I hear its not that bad? I am really concerned about dehydration. I have been living on the edge of it for at least 6 weeks since I had my gallbladder out. I was hospitalized for dehydration/nausea 10 days after my surgery. I am still totally struggling with my intake of food and liquid and am worried about the colonoscopy prep. There is no way I could drink a TON of liquid!!! And then, when the cleansing happens, Im worried I'll really become super dehydrated again! What should I do? Honestly, taking in food and water just makes my nausea so much worse....they are also going to repeat my endoscopy (had one in September) at the same time as I failed my gastric emptying test so he wants to look in my tummy and the valves again.

Any suggestions? Tips on prep I should ask for or questions I should ask the Dr?

Thanks so much! Im 45 years old, and the first one of all my friends to have this procedure, so they cant help me out!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Have to do the "Oscopies" next!

Hi,

So sorry to hear you are going through too much.

I can't help you on the dehydration question. With all you've been through, it might be wise to call your doctor and ask about your concerns. A pharmacist may be able to give you some suggestions as well. I'd certainly think you would want liquids with electrolytes in them when you cleanse.

I had my first colonoscopy a week after I had a nissen fundoplication for acid reflux. Basically they had just wrapped the top of my stomach around my esophagus and stitched it in place. I was only one week into a couple week liquid only diet at the time. It made me really concerned about being able to drink all that prep. Thankfully all went well as could be expected. I think it was a bit rougher because I was worn down from the surgery already. My procedure went very well though.

I'm not certain that this helped, but know you aren't alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
wendya2J (01-20-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Thank you so much. It does sure help to know you are not alone! I think you are right, I should just mention it to the dr. Maybe they could give me some extra fluids when I come in for the procedure?

How bad is the prep? Is it like sitting on the potty for the whole day? I don't take in much food these days, but am constipated as well.....I'm more scared about the prep than the procedure!

When I had my endoscopy before, the woke me up so fast and marched me out the door before I could even walk straight....is that how it always is?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I didn't have too much issue with the "going" part of the prep. You should be good within a couple hours. It cleans you out pretty fast.

The fact that you haven't been able to eat a lot will mean you don't have quite as much to clean out. The prep should soften things so it shouldn't hurt. You will have some "D" though.

The thing I didn't like about the prep was the taste. My pharmacist recommended mixing it with gatorade and getting it chilled in the fridge. You can't use any red dyes in the drink though and that is the only flavor I really like. I used lemon and didn't love the taste. I just set my mind to it and drank at the intervals they told me to.

I've had 4 endoscopies and with one, they rushed me out. With the others, they didn't. Maybe it depends on the nurse or how busy they are. The one thing I remember about the Colonoscopy is that they wouldn't even think of releasing me until I had passed gas. (You might want to decide if you want your loved one in the room at that point. ) They have you roll on your side and pull your knees up to help put you in a position to help release the gas. My GI doc comes in to show me pictures and discuss his initial findings. They always take bioposies and I have a follow-up in about 2 weeks to discuss the full findings and test results.

By the way, I started going through this in my late 30's. I had severe reflux issues and developed wicked IBS after a reaction to one of the medications they gave me. 5 days on the meds and now a lifetime of IBS.

Keep us posted with how you are doing.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Oh goodness!! you have been through so much- I pray you have relief from symptoms????

Thanks for the info....It was having D for a day in Dec that got me back in the hospital for the dehydration...Im still nervous about that! But you are right, I will have less to clean out!! lol....I hope they dont rush me, that just didnt do good for me when I had the first endoscopy.

Does it make sense that this new GI dr wants to look at my stomach himself? I think it does? but, what do I know, and I'll be knocked out!! lol....

If they dont find anything, which Im not really sure what they are looking for down there??? They discuss that at the office visit follow up, right? Im just wondering what they will eventually do for the delayed emptying...???

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

My GI doc scheduled me for a scope at my first visit. Before I ever saw him, my primary care doc had tried some things already. By taking a look at the stomach and esophagus and intestines, it gave them an idea of what was, or wasn't, going on. The biopsies they do also help them as well.

Your GI doc should discuss results with you. He should also discuss treatment options that are available and make other recommendations for further tests if it is needed.

In your case, I know there are some gastric emptying tests available. I haven't had one so I can't remember the name.

It is very frustrating when they don't find anything. My thinking at times is that if they found something it could be treated. On the other hand, it is always great news when they don't find something as well. The frustration comes because you are suffering and want to figure out what is wrong so it can be treated.

Honestly, that is why I've been scoped so many times and had so many 24 hr pH tests by my GI doc.

Closed Thread

Tags
colonoscopy