It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

emt0820 HB User
Unhappy What helps Constipation best? I NEED TO GO!!!

Hi,

Could anyone help me out here. What laxatives have you found to help with constipation? Someone told me to drink prune juice everyday. Whats better? Prune juice or dried prunes? Someone told me to eat a fiber bar in the morning, and my GI doctor gave me something called,,,Amitiza,,i have tried it but it makes my breathing feel funny. Anyone use this for constipation? Someone said to drink Miralax everyday. And of course when all else has failed I will drink some magnesium citrate which of course will do the trick but I really had relying on that. I really would love some feedback!!!

Thanks
nicki

Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: What helps Constipation best? I NEED TO GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt0820 View Post
Hi,

Could anyone help me out here. What laxatives have you found to help with constipation? Someone told me to drink prune juice everyday. Whats better? Prune juice or dried prunes? Someone told me to eat a fiber bar in the morning, and my GI doctor gave me something called,,,Amitiza,,i have tried it but it makes my breathing feel funny. Anyone use this for constipation? Someone said to drink Miralax everyday. And of course when all else has failed I will drink some magnesium citrate which of course will do the trick but I really had relying on that. I really would love some feedback!!!

Thanks
nicki
If you need immediate relief,try a glycerin suppository. It doesn't cause cramps like ducolax suppositories tend to do. It can take as little as 20 minutes for the suppository to work or as long as an hour. It works the best if you can keep the suppository in for at least 20 minutes. I have found that if I do slow deep breathing exercises while sitting on the toilet it helps it to be much less painful to go instead of straining and forcing the bowel movement out.
I have had problems with constipation all of my life an have found that if I maintain a high fiber diet 25-30 grams a day,drink at least 64 oz. a day of water, having set schedule for sitting on the toilet to move my bowels every day then I don't get constipated any more. I use a glycerin suppository if I haven't moved my bowels within 48 hours of my last BM. If I allow myself to go more than 48 hours then I have to force myself to go and it hurts a whole lot more this way. i hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread