It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
Exclamation Is Prevpac the same as Prevacid?

Hi guys, I am in need of some information and am hoping someone can clear this up. Several years ago I got a severe allergic reaction from a medication called Prevpac that I think got me sent to the ER (I'm not sure if it was this medication or another) because of a very bad stomach problem that I had.

This year it seems that I got the same stomach problem, only this time I was tested positive for H. Pylori through an Endoscopy procedure (however no ulcer was found.) Obviously the first thing that came into my mind was my allergic reaction to Prevpac and the horrible memories on that. I immediately let the nurse know about this medication, so she happily prescribed me on something else. Better yet this medication only needed to be taken 10 days as opposed to the 2 week regimen that is common with these packs.

Unfortunately upon arriving to the pharmacy I was told that Medicaid did not cover the medication and I was prescribed something else. The medication is Prevacid along with 3 other medications.

The Prevpac that got me severely ill from what I understand contained a combination of other medications, these meds were:

Clarithromycin
Lansoprazole
Amoxicillin

However, when I read the boxes description on Prevacid it says it contains Lansoprazole while the other 3 bottles are Clarithromycin, Amoxicillin and Omeprazole. I would like to ask if these medications are the same as the Prevpac medication that got me sick the awhile back? The only difference I can see between the two is one is a combo of meds put together and the other are separate meds. Obviously I am extremely cautious and very scared in taking Prevacid because of my experience with Prevpac. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tommy212; 02-01-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Is Prevpac the same as Prevacid?

Hi,
As far as I know Prevacid is a PPI.
Omepresole is also a PPI. Clarthromycin and Amoxillin are Antibiotics prescribed to kill the H.Pylori bacteria.
When I had H.P I was prescribed both these Antibiotics and a PPI called Nexium.
The two Antibiotics had a terrible effect on me and made me really sick. The Nexium I have taken on and off for a few years and it has not caused any side effects.
I think it was the Clarathromycin and the Amoxillin which made you feel ill and not the
Prevacid.
I wish you well and good luck with the treatment,

Solofelix.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
(male)

Tommy212 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,
As far as I know Prevacid is a PPI.
Omepresole is also a PPI. Clarthromycin and Amoxillin are Antibiotics prescribed to kill the H.Pylori bacteria.
When I had H.P I was prescribed both these Antibiotics and a PPI called Nexium.
The two Antibiotics had a terrible effect on me and made me really sick. The Nexium I have taken on and off for a few years and it has not caused any side effects.
I think it was the Clarathromycin and the Amoxillin which made you feel ill and not the
Prevacid.
I wish you well and good luck with the treatment,

Solofelix.
Hi, thanks for the reply. It looks like there was some sort of mixup with the medication, to make a long story short they told me NOT to take the Prevacid as there was a mixup. The doctor prescribed me the original medication and somehow the second time around Medicaid actually approved it! Extremely odd. I don't know how she did it.

Anyway the medication is called Pylera, it is taken in conjunction with Omeprazole for 10 days (rather then the 14 I had to do with prevacid) and only two bottles as opposed to the Prevacid and 3 other bottles that I had to take for 2 weeks.

Unfortunately based off of what I'm reading online side effects seem to be really brutal with this medication also. I'll see what happens within the next few days. Thanks for the reply and I hope everything will be alright.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Tommy,

I wish you well with your treatment and yes it is a tough regime.
Dont forget to take Probiotics in tablet form and in yogurt as a lot of good bacteria will be lost along with good after this treatment.
I did not know about this when I had the treatment and therefore suffered with lots of symptoms afterwards.
All the best,

Solofelix.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi Tommy,

I wish you well with your treatment and yes it is a tough regime.
Dont forget to take Probiotics in tablet form and in yogurt as a lot of good bacteria will be lost along with good after this treatment.
I did not know about this when I had the treatment and therefore suffered with lots of symptoms afterwards.
All the best,

Solofelix.
"Sorry meant to say that" Good" will be lost along with the "Bad"...

Solofelix.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
(male)

Tommy212 HB User

Thanks so much, I just took my first dosage about 10 mins ago. Hopefully no severe side effects/allergies will occur while on these meds. I'll try and keep you updated within the next 10 days, thanks again.

Closed Thread