It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User
This cough is driving me crazy... acid reflux?

Hi everyone. A little over a week ago I started burping hundreds of times a day (no exaggeration). Starting within 15 minutes of getting up. That went on for two days before I started OTC generic prilosec, next day started coughing. Sometimes dry, scratchy cough, other times what feels like a lot of sinus drainage collecting in my throat. And I have that lump-in-the-throat feeling. Food doesn't go down as easily as it should. NO pain. No odd taste or smell when I burp at first, but now sometimes when I burp I'm thinking it might have a slight taste. After I burp a lot in a row, sometimes it feels "warm" in my throat, but I wouldn't call it burning. Don't burp up food (although sometimes when I drink water and I burp afterwards, it feel like I might be burping up a little water). Sometimes I have this gurgling feeling in my throat.

I was on the OTC prilosec for about three days, went off one day, then went to the doctor the next He's trying me on Nexium for ten days and if it doesn't help, off to the gastro. He looked in my throat, pushed and poked on my abdomen, felt my neck. Again, no pain. Felt the cough was from acid reflux.

Since starting on the Nexium the burping has been better, although sometimes my stomach feels a little "weird." But the coughing is worse and driving me crazy. I know you can have a dry cough with acid reflux, but I'm wondering since the cough is getting worse and the burping is getting better could the cough be from something else. I've had this before without the burping and always thought it was sinus drainage.

Both the coughing and the burping (especially the burping) get better when I lie down, so at least I can sleep.

With the wide range of experiences here, does anyone feel like the cough could be something else, such as sinus drainage? Any suggestions on what I can do that might help right now?

Thanks for your insight!!

6/06: Dx hyperT & Graves Disease. RAI 6/06. Current treatment: Synthroid

Last edited by Hypergirl48; 02-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: This cough is driving me crazy...acid reflux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypergirl48 View Post
Hi everyone. A little over a week ago I started burping hundreds of times a day (no exaggeration). Starting within 15 minutes of getting up. That went on for two days before I started OTC generic prilosec, next day started coughing. Sometimes dry, scratchy cough, other times what feels like a lot of sinus drainage collecting in my throat. And I have that lump-in-the-throat feeling. Food doesn't go down as easily as it should. NO pain. No odd taste or smell when I burp at first, but now sometimes when I burp I'm thinking it might have a slight taste. After I burp a lot in a row, sometimes it feels "warm" in my throat, but I wouldn't call it burning. Don't burp up food (although sometimes when I drink water and I burp afterwards, it feel like I might be burping up a little water). Sometimes I have this gurgling feeling in my throat.

I was on the OTC prilosec for about three days, went off one day, then went to the doctor the next He's trying me on Nexium for ten days and if it doesn't help, off to the gastro. He looked in my throat, pushed and poked on my abdomen, felt my neck. Again, no pain. Felt the cough was from acid reflux.

Since starting on the Nexium the burping has been better, although sometimes my stomach feels a little "weird." But the coughing is worse and driving me crazy. I know you can have a dry cough with acid reflux, but I'm wondering since the cough is getting worse and the burping is getting better could the cough be from something else. I've had this before without the burping and always thought it was sinus drainage.

Both the coughing and the burping (especially the burping) get better when I lie down, so at least I can sleep.

With the wide range of experiences here, does anyone feel like the cough could be something else, such as sinus drainage? Any suggestions on what I can do that might help right now?

Thanks for your insight!!

I have acid reflux and asthma. The two of these conditions can aggravate each other. Whe I get a cold or my allergies are acting up really bad then the cough can hang on as long as 6-8 weeks. Both things need to be kept under control with meds. sleep with your head p using a bed wedge pillow or put bed risers on your bed as this helps both the acid reflux and asthma. I hope this can help you.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, if you think it's GERD watch your diet too. You can research a GERD diet. Don't eat late either. I'm not sure about the cough, I wanna say yes it can go along with it from the acid backing up but not sure. Is your tongue yellow?

Ok checked it out, the bile coming up the esophagus can cause a cough. Cough medicines and the like wont work only GERD meds. So until that is controlled the cough will continue.

Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 02-18-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added more info

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User

Thanks flipfleury and Cathy.

I've done four days of Nexium and the only things I have to show for it are a decrease in burping, increase in coughing (dry and non-dry), globus (lump in throat feeling) is worse, and this morning I woke up with a horribly dry mouth and white-coated tongue. (No yellow tongue, though.) I've since learned the PPIs can cause that. Dry mouth can cause it, and since PPIs can cause dry mouth...

More research today and I'm beginning to think it's LPR instead of the GERD since I don't have heartburn with it.

I'm looking into getting a bed wedge to put between the mattress and box spring. My friend got one online for an entirely different health reason and was very pleased, so I'm probably getting mine from where she got hers.

(Cathy, I'm right down the road...Glen Allen on the other side of Richmond.)
6/06: Dx hyperT & Graves Disease. RAI 6/06. Current treatment: Synthroid

Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I don't have heartburn either but you may be right but just in case check out silent reflux, that's cool we're not too far apart! Cathy

Reply Reply