HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   Excess Bile Production - why?! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/940001-excess-bile-production-why.html)

aelise 02-20-2013 06:55 PM

Excess Bile Production - why?!

So after a long history of stomach problems (pain, nausea, no pattern, mostly in the moderate range) I finally decided to man up and get an endoscopy - not to mention, I finally had health insurance that would actually cover it! I had been diagnosed with several things over the years, but treatments never helped and nothing was for sure.

I am 26-years-old, female, with an otherwise good health background. Non-smoker, I don't drink (makes me sick), and I eat a pretty healthy diet. I've had stomach problems for about 12 years, and as of the past two years I've also been blessed with IBS.

Endoscopy showed normal esophagus (not reflux), inflammation in the stomach/duodenum, and excess bile in the stomach. Biopsy results all came back negative so I don't have h. pylori, or Celiac disease, or any of the other things they check for. The dr says the excess bile is causing the inflammation in my stomach/duodenum, and we need to find out why this is happening and stop it. She has ordered a gastric empty study for right now.

My question is, the ONLY thing I can see online that causes excess bile production is removal of the gallbladder... mine is still hanging out, as I've never had any surgeries to remove anything. I do not take any medications. What else can cause excess bile production, does anyone know?

Titchou 02-21-2013 03:52 AM

Re: Excess Bile Production - why?!

You should have a HIDA scan to determine GB function. Over 75% or under 35% ejection rates and it should be removed.

cabin921 02-21-2013 06:30 PM

I agree with titchou you should have a hida scan. I have an overactive galldladder with a 92% ejection rate an have been told that it pushes out excess bile when it is overactive.

aelise 02-21-2013 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=cabin921;5136448]I agree with titchou you should have a hida scan. I have an overactive galldladder with a 92% ejection rate an have been told that it pushes out excess bile when it is overactive.[/QUOTE]

Interesting! What is the treatment/management for something like that? Have you mostly controlled your symptoms?

cabin921 02-21-2013 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=aelise;5136452]Interesting! What is the treatment/management for something like that? Have you mostly controlled your symptoms?[/QUOTE]

I have been sick for months now . I have gone from 125 lb to 102 lb and have been through many test. Had ultra sound , hida scan and upper scope to check for ulcers and biop for h plyori . the only thing to show up was the high ejection rate on the hida scan . As far as i know removal of the gb is all that can be done . I am seeing a surgeon in the morning and i am going to talk to him about it , but i dont think it gets any better. when it is overactive it pushes out too much bile and sometimes can contract so hard and push out so much bile that it will push it up into your stomach that is called bile reflux. There were some days were i just felt toxic and i think it was due to the bile being in my stomach. I would gag when i brushed my teeth and could taste a funny tast when i would gag , at first i thought it was just stomach acid but the upper scope showed stomach looked good no over acid , no ulcers no h plyori . Like i said the only thing showing is the high ejection rate on the gallbladder hida scan

aelise 02-21-2013 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=cabin921;5136474]I have been sick for months now . I have gone from 125 lb to 102 lb and have been through many test. Had ultra sound , hida scan and upper scope to check for ulcers and biop for h plyori . the only thing to show up was the high ejection rate on the hida scan . As far as i know removal of the gb is all that can be done . I am seeing a surgeon in the morning and i am going to talk to him about it , but i dont think it gets any better. when it is overactive it pushes out too much bile and sometimes can contract so hard and push out so much bile that it will push it up into your stomach that is called bile reflux. There were some days were i just felt toxic and i think it was due to the bile being in my stomach. I would gag when i brushed my teeth and could taste a funny tast when i would gag , at first i thought it was just stomach acid but the upper scope showed stomach looked good no over acid , no ulcers no h plyori . Like i said the only thing showing is the high ejection rate on the gallbladder hida scan[/QUOTE]

Yikes! Please do update us when you speak with a surgeon. I am curious what he/she will say.

Titchou 02-22-2013 04:38 AM

I had gallstones and had mine removed. But as others have said, an overactive one should be removed as well.

cabin921 02-23-2013 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=aelise;5136480]Yikes! Please do update us when you speak with a surgeon. I am curious what he/she will say.[/QUOTE]

Surgeon said he will remove gb since all other test are negetive and thinks it is gb . Surgery set for thursday 28th.

aelise 02-23-2013 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=cabin921;5137087]Surgeon said he will remove gb since all other test are negetive and thinks it is gb . Surgery set for thursday 28th.[/QUOTE]

What is the prognosis for you then? Does the surgeon think gb removal will help? I read today that only 5% or less of gb removal patients experience continuing symptoms. That makes me feel better, personally. I was under the impression it was much more common.

Good luck, do keep us updated and let us know how the surgery went! I'm hoping you get some relief after the procedure :-)

cabin921 02-23-2013 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=aelise;5137164]What is the prognosis for you then? Does the surgeon think gb removal will help? I read today that only 5% or less of gb removal patients experience continuing symptoms. That makes me feel better, personally. I was under the impression it was much more common.

Good luck, do keep us updated and let us know how the surgery went! I'm hoping you get some relief after the procedure :-)[/QUOTE]

Surgeon did not say symptoms would go away , he does not know if removal will take care of things or not just said all test show normal and high ejection rate on hida scan is all we have to go on and my symptoms do sound like a gb problem. Both my grandmothers , mother , daughter and two of my nieces have had their gb removed and all had relief. My niece had an ejection rate of 93% and mine is 92% . She has not been sick a day since removal so i am praying i will be the same.

aelise 02-23-2013 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=cabin921;5137200]Surgeon did not say symptoms would go away , he does not know if removal will take care of things or not just said all test show normal and high ejection rate on hida scan is all we have to go on and my symptoms do sound like a gb problem. Both my grandmothers , mother , daughter and two of my nieces have had their gb removed and all had relief. My niece had an ejection rate of 93% and mine is 92% . She has not been sick a day since removal so i am praying i will be the same.[/QUOTE]

Well I wish you luck. I will probably be headed down the same road myself. All the doctors know right now is my stomach/duodenum have too much bile in them. Even though I'm scheduled to do a gastric empty study, I've had one before and it was negative. I don't have any pain or anything associated with my gallbladder but an overactive one is a serious possibility I think. Given that my symptoms aren't too bad, I might be able to get away with some dietary/lifestyle modifications, maybe some medications. If I could be sure that taking my gallbladder out would help, I would do it in a second. But I'm more concerned that they will take it out and my symptoms will worsen, or stay the same. Who knows.

Makes me wish I had h. pylori or one of the autoimmune diseases they suspected I had. At least those can be better managed.

cabin921 02-23-2013 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=aelise;5137234]Well I wish you luck. I will probably be headed down the same road myself. All the doctors know right now is my stomach/duodenum have too much bile in them. Even though I'm scheduled to do a gastric empty study, I've had one before and it was negative. I don't have any pain or anything associated with my gallbladder but an overactive one is a serious possibility I think. Given that my symptoms aren't too bad, I might be able to get away with some dietary/lifestyle modifications, maybe some medications. If I could be sure that taking my gallbladder out would help, I would do it in a second. But I'm more concerned that they will take it out and my symptoms will worsen, or stay the same. Who knows.

Makes me wish I had h. pylori or one of the autoimmune diseases they suspected I had. At least those can be better managed.[/QUOTE]

I had no gb pain in the beginning just felt sick thought at first it was just too much stomach acid or maybe ulcer so i bought some otc zantac and it did help with the sick stomach feeling but things just kept getting worse and then the pain started but my pain has never been really severe , maybe because i dont have stones just overactive and the excess bile is maybe what is causing the stomach issues . My stomach would have a burning feeling and sometimes would have a gnawing feeling when it first started now that is pretty much gone and i just get sick to my stomach and have pain under right rib and in back and lots of gas. Hope you can find out what it is and get to feeling better soon.

aelise 03-05-2013 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=cabin921;5137239]I had no gb pain in the beginning just felt sick thought at first it was just too much stomach acid or maybe ulcer so i bought some otc zantac and it did help with the sick stomach feeling but things just kept getting worse and then the pain started but my pain has never been really severe , maybe because i dont have stones just overactive and the excess bile is maybe what is causing the stomach issues . My stomach would have a burning feeling and sometimes would have a gnawing feeling when it first started now that is pretty much gone and i just get sick to my stomach and have pain under right rib and in back and lots of gas. Hope you can find out what it is and get to feeling better soon.[/QUOTE]

Cabin, how did your procedure go?

Titchou 03-06-2013 03:40 AM

1It went great. Check over on the gallbladder board to get all the details.

cabin921 03-06-2013 04:50 AM

[QUOTE=aelise;5142454]Cabin, how did your procedure go?[/QUOTE]

Procedure went good. My gb pain is gone , i am still having some small spells of nausea only lasting about 30 min at a time but am praying that to will go away . Today is only day 6 post op and other than the small nausea i do feel better.