It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

elliven HB User
Question Help-does anyone know the answer

I had a VAGOTOMY AND PYLOROPLASTY operation 33 years ago and thou I suffer with pain and diarrhoea (DUMPING SYNDROME) and struggle to keep any weight on,as well as having difficulty extracting the correct amount of nutrients from foods I eat, I try not to let the condition control me.I would love someone to answer this question for me. when taking vitamins, supplements or medications they are usually coated or are contained in a gel like shell capsule to protect them while they are in the stomach, when i swallow these does the coating/shell have to brake down in the stomach acid to be effective further along the digestive tract, I am asking this because I am assuming that my stomach does not produce enough acid to remove the coating or brake down the capsule shell and also the tablet will travel much quicker through my digestive tract due to my PYLORUS being restructured to allow contents to empty quicker into the DUODENUM therefore will my system absorb and benefit from the contents of tablet, if not how can i work around this.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Help-does anyone know the answer

You probably are absorbing the vitamins, but if you are terribly concerned, you can open the capsules and sprinkle the powder onto a spoon of applesauce, yogurt, etc. Do not chew any little beads as they may be slow release. You can also get your blood tested for various vitamin levels, like A, D, B vitamins, K if you suspect deficiencies. Likewise you can get calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron levels checked to make sure they are in normal ranges.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
(male)

elliven HB User
Re: Help-does anyone know the answer

Hi Michelle
Thanks again for your advice, would really appreciate your advice on several questions and don't worry I promise not to hound you with questions every other day.
1. have probs with lumbar and cervical disc bulges and tears/ pressing on nerves, told to take vit D3 because blood test shows low level.
2. thinking of taking Betaine Hydrochloride capsules but am unsure if they will harm me because their transit through my digestive tract will be quicker than normal due to PYLORUS muscle restructure.
3. have been taking Serranol for one month and have not noticed any benefit to overall health.
4. what are your thoughts on a health supplement called TABASHIR BAMBOO (Organic Silica)
5. What are your views on a device called HealthPoint (hand held acupuncture device) will it really work as they claim?.
6. can I buy a really good health supplement that would contain all the vitamins and minerals for overall good health in powder form or say in a fish oil like omega 3.
looking forward to your thoughts and advice
neville

Reply Reply