It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

Alesis HB User
Question Scared to eat: Pressure, pain & bloating in upper belly!

Hello:

35 year old female with a history of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), psoriasis, IBS, GERD and fibromyalgia. On 16 April, I had my gallbladder out per recommendation of my gastroenterologist, for the bloating, pressure and pain in my middle/upper abdomen whenever I ate or drank anything, even water. Plus, my gallbladder was not working (please see below).

However, four days out of surgery, the symptoms returned with a vengeance, as if I never had the surgery.

This is the way I feel whenever I eat or drink anything, no matter how bland: my stomach bloats up and I get a pressure pain in the middle...then it dies down a little bit, only to come back full throttle, making me feel like my stomach is going to burst! I wake up too nauseous to eat, and my first meal bothers me a bit...then my symptoms get worse as the day goes on...some nights I have trouble sleeping, the pain is so bad.

Before surgery, when the symptoms first started, my stool patterns changed...I only had a BM every 4-5 days...now that I am off the pain meds, and I am over the post-op loose stools, I am back to the every 4-5 day thing again.

Now the pain has gotten so bad, I feel it all the time...it just worsens whenever I eat. My Primary Care Provider upped me from omeprazole to Nexium...however it has been since Thursday and I am feeling worse instead of better.

Also, I started getting low blood sugar attacks, or what feels like them, starting last Wednesday. I haven't had them since I lost 100 lbs from my gastric bypass, which I had in July of 2011.

Tests include:
Upper GI Series -- showed esophageal dysmotility
Upper Endoscopy -- showed hiatal hernia and irritated stomach lining
Ultrasound of gallbladder - normal
HIDA Scan - 5% Ejection Fraction
(gallbladder removed, as surgeon said it would get stones eventually, plus surgery may fix problem, and it was obviously not working).
Allergy testing -- all negative, including celiac

I am scared to death to eat, because of the way it makes me feel. My weight goes up and down 5 pounds...people tell me I look skinnier, however I don't know where the weight is going. I can feel the bones through my skin.

I see the Gastro on 7 May...it cannot come soon enough!

Please tell me:

1. Have any of you experienced something similar?
2. What specifically should I tell my doctor? Any suggestions? I just want to be concise and to the point.
3. Any questions I should ask? I tend to be at a loss for words.

Thank you,

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 04-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Scared to eat: Pressure, pain & bloating in upper belly!

What exactly are you eating? The standard "bland" diet is the worst thing in the world for someone who just had their gb out! You should be eating NO FAT. Most bland diets are fat heavy - eggs, cream soups, etc. Please do not eat that. Lean bland chicken or turkey breast, bread, potatoes, yogurt - frozen or regular, etc are OK for 2-3 weeks after removal.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

Alesis HB User
Re: Scared to eat: Pressure, pain & bloating in upper belly!

Hi.

I am eating low fat turkey, bread, potatoes, etc. Not much else. I am purposely avoiding fatty foods.

Even plain water bothers me.

I saw a nutritionist today and she is pretty much dumbfounded, considering that _everything_ bothers me.

The pain got so bad that I was hunched over and could barely move Monday evening. Per recommendation of the doctors on call (I called my gastro and surgeon's answering service), I went to the ER. Blood was taken and a CT ordered. Labs were normal; CT showed a ruptured ovarian cyst and constipation; not sure if this was determined through symptoms alone or CT, however I was told I had severe gastritis.

I have been on a proton pump inhibitor for quite some time, which has been upped to a stronger one. Tonight I added in Gaviscon hoping for relief, as the PPI has not even taken the edge off my symptoms.

I will be following up with my GYN for the female stuff; however the GI doctor's office said my doctor was not interested in moving up my appointment, despite all that happened.

It certainly seems like a digestion related thing, considering that it happens _every time_ I eat. Standing up helps to a point, as well as not eating a few hours before I go to bed. However, it is hard to stand up/sit up after I eat, because eating tires me out.

I have certainly been though the ringer. I am tired of suffering and want this fixed sooner rather than later.

Any suggestions as to what I can bring up to the doctor?

Since I have esophageal dysmotility, per Upper GI Series, perhaps it has spread to my stomach?

Thanks a bunch,

A.

Closed Thread