It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
(male)

dek38uk HB User
Re: Unexplained Weight Loss - digestive disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I thought you had been seeing a GI Dr. Is your PCP doing the work-up thus far? Definitely need to see a GI doc. Be sure to take all copies of everything with you so they don't have to repeat it all. Keep us posted on progress please.
I am trying to get a referral to a GI from my PCP, unfortunately I am in the UK and our health system is dictated by PCP's. I have paid for scans myself, and could pay to see a GI, but then would also have to pay for any tests they ordered.
It seems ongoing, and I dont want to get to a point where I end up sick in hospital before they find what is wrong.
I just need an answer to what is the problem.
I will keep you posted

Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
(female)

binns1980 HB User

Hey Dek,
Yes I had an Endoscopy done and that's how they was able to tell me I had gastritis. My weight loss is due to not eating much. for two months straight all I would eat was saltine crackers and drink water. That seem to be the only thing I could eat and not have horrible stomach pain and feel sick afterwards. Even when I would try to eat regular food, I would be up all night feeling horrible. It felt like bricks were just sitting in my stomach. I even would eat around 5pm and go for a walk to do stuff around the house to help my food digest and nothing worked. The doctor gave me Nexium for the gastritis but it tore my stomach up. The doctor told me to discontinue taking it. Now I just take an over the counter Pepcid AC. It helps with heart burn but nothing else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by binns1980 View Post
Hey Dek,
Yes I had an Endoscopy done and that's how they was able to tell me I had gastritis. My weight loss is due to not eating much. for two months straight all I would eat was saltine crackers and drink water. That seem to be the only thing I could eat and not have horrible stomach pain and feel sick afterwards. Even when I would try to eat regular food, I would be up all night feeling horrible. It felt like bricks were just sitting in my stomach. I even would eat around 5pm and go for a walk to do stuff around the house to help my food digest and nothing worked. The doctor gave me Nexium for the gastritis but it tore my stomach up. The doctor told me to discontinue taking it. Now I just take an over the counter Pepcid AC. It helps with heart burn but nothing else.
Hi Binns,
I am on pantroprazole for my Hiatus Hernia, and am getting worse heartburn than ever before. I was originally on Omeprazole (Prisolic) which didn't work very well either, In fact I have been loosing weight since I started taking these meds (Not sure if they are ruining my absorption?). They are not helping me but my doc says I need to be on them for the rest of my life!!

I think that my problem could be either pancreatis (Chronic), some sort of food intolerance or my digestive system is screwed up due to the PPI's.

Got an appointment with a GI next Saturday, so I will see what he thinks.

My cholesterol as droppped from 6.6 to 4.43 in 9 Month which means I am not absorbing fat I think.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Dek, have you had a HIDA scan to check gall bladder? Bile stored in the gall bladder is what helps digest fats. Gall bladder disease frequently doesn't show up on CT scan or ultrasound, but does on HIDA scan. You can have a bad gallbladder without the usual RUQ pain. That would seem an essential part of your workup as well.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Quote:
Dek, have you had a HIDA scan to check gall bladder? Bile stored in the gall bladder is what helps digest fats. Gall bladder disease frequently doesn't show up on CT scan or ultrasound, but does on HIDA scan. You can have a bad gallbladder without the usual RUQ pain. That would seem an essential part of your workup as well.
Ladybud, I have not at a HIDA scan yet. Even getting the Ultrasound done was hard as my doctors keep playing the stress and anxiety card. Hopefully the GI doc I see next week may be able to advise what tests/Scans are appropriate.

MY condition is strange, it is like what ever it is effect all my bodily functions. My hands are cold most of the time, my urine does not look right (colour is ok, its just the foam), I get weird pains, and I am now starting with what looks like Psoriasis around my groin area. Could it be Autoimune? I have had ANA, and other autoimune tests which were all ok.

It's so frustrating, the UK national health service is understaffed, so waiting times are long. I have been searching for an answer for a long while now, and dont seem to of got any further.

It could be something simple like a food intolerance, but I would rather have a definitive diagnosis so I know what I need to do.

I can try restricting things from my diet but not sure what may be the cause.

I purchased some Digestive enzymes yesterday and will see how they work.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder, but uncommon in the groin. If it itches and is bright red, it is most likely a fungal infection. That is common in groin (jock itch) and can be treated with OTC anti-fungal spray twice daily until completely gone, about 10-14 days. It could be autoimmune, and some lupus patients have negative ANAs early in course, so that is worth repeating. Gluten would be my first suspicion as a food intolerance and can be associated with autoimmune disease. It definitely causes malabsorption if celiac disease is present. That can be tested on blood for antibodies. I would ask GI Dr to do Hida Scan, celiac antibodies and a repeat ANA, as well as fat soluble vitamin levels and iron/ferritin (stored iron). Good luck with new doc!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Quote:
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder, but uncommon in the groin. If it itches and is bright red, it is most likely a fungal infection. That is common in groin (jock itch) and can be treated with OTC anti-fungal spray twice daily until completely gone, about 10-14 days. It could be autoimmune, and some lupus patients have negative ANAs early in course, so that is worth repeating. Gluten would be my first suspicion as a food intolerance and can be associated with autoimmune disease. It definitely causes malabsorption if celiac disease is present. That can be tested on blood for antibodies. I would ask GI Dr to do Hida Scan, celiac antibodies and a repeat ANA, as well as fat soluble vitamin levels and iron/ferritin (stored iron). Good luck with new doc!
Ladybud, I have already been tested for Celiac which was negative. The problem I have is the GI I am seeing I have to pay for the consultation and to get the rest of the tests done will probably cost me around 2500 UK pounds. I have already spent around 5000 on various tests/consultations etc..
Really I should of gone to a GI first before paying for any scans etc
I can try and push for repeat bloods from my PCP, which will not cost me a penny.
It appears that there are too many people who are suffering not knowing what is causing there health problems.
It's strange how my symptoms developed, the malabsorption seemed to appear after I was already loosing weight.
It's just getting lucky finding a doc who as come across a similar case and may be able to pinpoint it straight away (So far this as not occurred). I am determined to keep pushing to find the answer.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes your PCP could do the blood tests and even order the HIDA scan if it will cost you less that way. Good luck, and I hope you get answers and get well soon!

Closed Thread