It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
(male)

dek38uk HB User
Unexplained Weight Loss - digestive disorder?

Hello everyone,
The past year as been hell for me I have been loosing weight and feeling tired all the time despite eating more than adequate calories, I also am barely exercising due to the fatigue.
I have lost around 20 pounds during this time.
I have had an extensive workup by my doctors - Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Abdominal and pelvic CT(With contrast) and ultrasounds, Chest and abdomen X-Rays,ECG's, lots of blood tests (FBC,Liver,Kidney,Pancreas, Creactive, ESR, Bone profile, Celiac, B12, Iron, PSA, ANA and many more), also Urine Analysis and other tests.

Anyway all that as been discovered is an Hiatus Hernia. Apart from that no other problems.

My bowel movements are not right there is always undigested food and fat in it (Some type of Malabsorption of fat I think).
I have lost all my muscle around my joints, arms and shoulders causing them to click alot.
My saliva is always foamy white and very acidic,even though I am on PPI's for my Hiatus Hernia.
MY urine is also not as it used to be.

I understand that I have had some extensive testing but I know that something is not right somewhere in my body. It is really frustrating not getting a diagnosis, and my enjoyment of life is minimal. This time last year my life was better than ever before.

Has anyone on here an ideas of what could be causing my weight loss and fatigue, finding someone with similar problems who have be diagnosed will at least let me ask my doctors for further testing.

Many Thanks

Dek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Unexplained Weight Loss - digestive disorder?

The only obvious things missing in your list of tests are thyroid levels and blood sugar. Excess thyroid production can cause weight loss, muscle loss, fatigue. Diabetes can cause the same, but I would imagine that was done and maybe just not listed. There are other types of malabsorption besides celiac disease, and a gastroenterologist should be seen for that. Metabolic problems like digestive enzyme deficiencies can occur. What is the change with your urination? Were all test results normal? Have you gotten copies of all your labs to verify that? Any borderline results? What have your Drs said after all this? Did they do a small bowel biopsy when endoscopy was done? Do you have abdominal pain, diarrhea or mucus in stool in addition to fat? Fever? Any other info that may be related? Family history of diseases?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
The only obvious things missing in your list of tests are thyroid levels and blood sugar. Excess thyroid production can cause weight loss, muscle loss, fatigue. Diabetes can cause the same, but I would imagine that was done and maybe just not listed. There are other types of malabsorption besides celiac disease, and a gastroenterologist should be seen for that. Metabolic problems like digestive enzyme deficiencies can occur. What is the change with your urination? Were all test results normal? Have you gotten copies of all your labs to verify that? Any borderline results? What have your Drs said after all this? Did they do a small bowel biopsy when endoscopy was done? Do you have abdominal pain, diarrhea or mucus in stool in addition to fat? Fever? Any other info that may be related? Family history of diseases?
Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry I missed off Diabetes and Thyroid, they were both normal. My urination is foamy but all analysis show it is ok, not sure why it as gone like this?
As far as I am aware all my results are normal, although we do not get to see copies of the results unless I pay privately for the tests.
My Doctors just keep diagnosing me with stress and anxiety, which I am afraid I do not accept. I understand some of my earlier symptoms were possibly down to this, but not what is coming out of my and the muscle loss.
I did not get a small bowel biopsy, as everything looked good down there.
I do not have much abdominal pain, and not much Diaarrhea there is occasional mucus in the stool however, but its more fat than anything else.
My bowel habits started to change after the initial weight loss, my weight loss seems to be in stages - it drops then steadies for a few months then drops again.
Family history - Grandad dies of Stomach Cancer at 78, I think my gran had Bowel cancer which was cured thats about it. Oh sorry my other grandad died of Pancreatis at around 45 that about it I think.
Cant think of any other problems.
Thanks

Dek

Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Foamy urine usually means protein in urine, clearly not normal. Has your urine been checked SINCE the foamy urine appeared? I see you had an ANA done. If that was 6 months or more ago, I would ask for a repeat. Autoimmune diseases can cause many of your symptoms. Is there no way to get copies of your labs? Some Drs tell patients results are ok when they are not. Since there is so much fat in your stool. you could have a lipase deficiency causing some of the malabsorption. I would try a lipase supplement from a health food store. Gluten intolerance could be an issue as well, even with neg celiac blood tests. A gluten free diet may be worth a try too, but will take awhile to assess the effects. Fat soluble vitamins are probably deficient, like Vit D and A, and I would supplement those too. The lipase will work pretty quickly but the gluten avoidance will take weeks to months, with gradual improvement. Are you anemic? Iron supplementation wouldn't hurt, as most people with malabsorption are iron deficient. Amylase, another pancreatic enzyme, aids in protein absorption, and since you have had so much muscle mass loss, that may be worthwhile taking. So there's a shopping list for OTC remedies until you get to the bottom of it. Can you change Drs and see a new one? It infuriates me they suggest this is anxiety. That doesn't cause fat in your stools!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Thanks for the reply again Ladybud.
I had my Urine checked several times since it started foaming, and all was ok each time.
The ANA tests were done around 10 weeks back.
I am going to try and get old of some Digestive enzymes, and vitamin A and D. Would a digestive enzyme complex containing both Lipase and Amylase be adequate? Looking back I tried enzymes earlier this year, and I cant recall any oil slicks then.
The Gluten free may be hard for me to do, but I will give it a try. I will see if the Enzymes and vitamins work first.
I am not Anemic as far as I know I have had many Blood counts done and all have been fine thus far.
I have recently changed doctors, and they dont seem in a rush to get you out of the office.
I am hoping to get some bloods redone, and will ask to see results, and also try and get copies of my previous tests.
The problem with my first docs were that I was in such a state when things were going wrong that Stress was an easy diagnosis.
Alot of my initial symptoms were so weird, and I do now realize that they were stress related as these symptoms have now subsided.
Thanks again

Dek

Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think the combo enzymes would be fine. I do hope that works and you can see the difference soon and put some weight back on. I agree to do one thing at a time, enzymes, then gluten if needed, so you know what is working for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
dek38uk (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Thanks Ladybud.
Would they effect the tests results if I get another Pancreas blood done?

I am by no means underweight (13stone 4 pounds) at the moment, but it's just the loss of muscle around my joints and arms and shoulders that is not good.

I would love to get my muscle back, and get to the bottom of what as caused the weight loss.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

They should not, as these are working in the gut to digest food, whereas the blood tests are looking for high blood levels associated with inflammation or pancreatic disease.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Thanks, I will start taking them as soon as I get old of some.
I am worried my problem may be Chronic pancreatis, something my Grandfather died of.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you had chronic pancreatitis, your amylase or lipase levels in blood would have been high. You said they were normal, so I don't think you have it, based on that.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
If you had chronic pancreatitis, your amylase or lipase levels in blood would have been high. You said they were normal, so I don't think you have it, based on that.
I had my Pancreas function tested in August last year. As far as I know everything was normal, The strange bowel movements started around 3 weeks after the bloodwork was done.
I have only really noticed the oil slicks in the bowl for the past few month, however I was noticing undigested food from late last August/Early sept.

I have had my Pancreas looked at on Ultrasound and CT, The pain I get is not overly severe so I am thinking I would be in a bit more pain if it was Pancreatis, also I am sure if Pancreatis was the cause of the weight loss my Pancreas would look pretty damaged on a CT, as the disease would have to be relatively advanced.

I really need to see a GI, and if he doesn't have answer perhaps look at food intolerance.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
(female)

binns1980 HB User

Hi Dek,
I was reading your post and wanted to let you know that I hope you find out whats going on with you really soon. I suffer from digestive issues. I haven't been able to see a doctor about my on going problems because I currently don't have any health insurance. Earlier this year I was told by a gastroenterologist that I have gastritis. Like you, I have noticed the undigested food in my stools. I won't have a bm for weeks and when I do its usually loose and I feel weak and horrible afterwards. When I do have a normal bm, I notice the undigested food and a substance that looks like mucus. I've lost a great deal of weight also. I went from weighing 192 down to 156. Antacids don't work, it seems like I been on everything known to man. I was told about probiotics for healthy digestion. Maybe this will help with the oily stools you are having. I was told Align is a good probiotic to try. I figure I've tried everything else so what do I have to loose.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I thought you had been seeing a GI Dr. Is your PCP doing the work-up thus far? Definitely need to see a GI doc. Be sure to take all copies of everything with you so they don't have to repeat it all. Keep us posted on progress please.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
(male)

dek38uk HB User

My PCP as been looking after my case I have not seen a GI as yet, and am trying to get referral. I have paid for some scans myself, and also paid to see a private PCP, who referred me for the CT scan (Which I paid for). Getting referred on the UK health system is difficult unless something stands out, I do have funds to see a GI privately but the I would also have to pay for tests aswell.

I will keep you posted when I find out what the problem is.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
(male)

dek38uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by binns1980 View Post
Hi Dek,
I was reading your post and wanted to let you know that I hope you find out whats going on with you really soon. I suffer from digestive issues. I haven't been able to see a doctor about my on going problems because I currently don't have any health insurance. Earlier this year I was told by a gastroenterologist that I have gastritis. Like you, I have noticed the undigested food in my stools. I won't have a bm for weeks and when I do its usually loose and I feel weak and horrible afterwards. When I do have a normal bm, I notice the undigested food and a substance that looks like mucus. I've lost a great deal of weight also. I went from weighing 192 down to 156. Antacids don't work, it seems like I been on everything known to man. I was told about probiotics for healthy digestion. Maybe this will help with the oily stools you are having. I was told Align is a good probiotic to try. I figure I've tried everything else so what do I have to loose.
Thanks for the reply. How was you diagnosed with Gastris? Did you have a Endoscopy? I had one and no sign of gastris. I am currently taking PPI's for my Hiatus Hernia, but they dont work too well, so I am not sure if it is the hernia causing the pain.
I have daily BM's always undigested food with some mucus and oil slick.
Are you eating normally? I eat plenty but have still lost weight, the worst thing is my fatigue and seeing bones that were normally hidden by muscle.

Reply Reply