It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

trixie1983 HB User
Having trouble keeping food down

About four years ago I had a period of six weeks I threw up everything I ate. I ended up having my gall bladder out, as this was deemed the culprit. The vomiting continued the past four years, but was rare. About a month ago the vomiting became more frequent, it went from perhaps once a week to almost every day. I was vomiting up half of what I ate.

My GI doctor put me on Nexium, rantadine , and an anti-nausea medication. I was told to eat a bland diet, and to take the anti-nausea pills a half hour before I eat. The vomiting isn't as frequent, but it is still several times a week. I'm not eating much now. Looking at food makes me cringe. I eat several times a day, about the amount of a granola bar 5-6 times a day. After eating I begin spats of burping.

I'm tired all of the time, and have hand tremors due to the anti-nausea meds. If I don't takes the meds I mostly don't keep my food down.

I normally vomit within 5-10 mins after a finishing a meal if I am going to vomit at all. When it happens my whole meal is purged.

I'm tired all the time now, and have trouble functioning during the day.

My doctor wants me to give the meds 4-6 weeks and then see how I am. Then he will run other test. He wants me to do a barrium swallow, but I know I would not be able to drink it. I can't handle that much liquid at a time.

I'm becoming frustrated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
(female)

happydays86 HB User
Re: Having trouble keeping food down

I am having similar symptoms, I am trying to post my symptoms but it wont let me do a new post x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shinninglikeme HB User

Hey trixie,
whats the age and what are the tests you have done so far?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

shinninglikeme HB User

Hey trixie,
whats the age and what are the tests you have done so far?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

111222 HB User

Have you looked up rumination syndrome? Not sure if you have all the symptoms but medical doctors do not know much about it. I am having a hard time finding treatment for my son who went threw a lot of medical tests that showed nothing physical.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

trixie1983 HB User

I've had blood work done and an endoscopy. My GI doctor tells me everything is normal. I am back on celexa and lamictal. Going off of them did nothing for the vomiting. I almost ended up in the hospital because my depresseion came back full force.

I'm at my wits end with my GI doctor. He has no clue what is wrong with me, and still tells me its my meds.

I continue to take nexium, but that is all. I have stopped the anti-neausea pills because they did nothing. I was still throwing up.

The main thing right now is I have started a gluten-free diet, and have taken out dairy. The vomiting is only a few times a week now, as opposed to daily. I still get stomach cramps if I eat something that does not agree with me. Its not every time I eat anymore though.

I found if I chew spearmint gum, or mints the urge to vomit subsides sometimes. I pretty much chew gum after every meal and snack.

I will look up ruminitation syndrome thank you for the info.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
(female)

111222 HB User

Gum is actually one of the treatments for this syndrome.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
(female)

kbushell92 HB User

Hi Trixie, there could be a blockage at the lower end of your digestive system. Alternatively, you could discuss with your dr the possibility of gastroparesis. It is when your stomach is slugglish or doesn't work amd you can't digest food. Ask him about the gastric emptying study. I am going to talk to my dr about this. I haven't vomited but have come close on several occasions.

Closed Thread