It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

luv2sing2u HB User
Red face Gallstones and constant gnawing burning

Hi everyone,

I've been having digestive issues since mid-January. The first thing I can remember was waking up one morning with an awful sour taste in my mouth. I've had that a few times before, and was told it was acid reflux. So my family doctor put me on Protonics. Seemed to help for a while, but then I started feeling like it was irritating my stomach, so I quit taking it. Over the course of a few weeks, my throat started feeling like I had something stuck in the back of my throat - like a big ball of phlegm. I went to see an ENT, and he put a scope down my throat. He said he didn't see any signs of tumors or throat cancer - said my throat looked perfect, except for my larynx looking inflamed a bit. Felt it was from acid reflux. Fast forward a few weeks.... I start having a severe, gnawing burning sensation in between my rib cage, right in the pit of my stomach. I then went to a gastroenterologist, who wanted to do an endoscopic and an ultrasound of my gallbladder. The endoscopic showed I had a small hiatal hernia and a stricture on the upper third of my esophagus, and some mild inflammation in my stomach. He tested me for H Pylori, which was negative. Said I had some gastritis. He put me on Prevacid, which did not really help. Well, I didn't really like that doctor, so I went to another gastroenterologist. He did a gastric emptying test, which showed that I had a minimal delay in emptying. The stomach should take around 90 minutes to empty - mine took 97 minutes. So nothing major there. Then, when the burning kept getting so severe, I asked him again to do a second endoscopic and biopsy for anything and everything he could think of. I was concerned about stomach cancer. But he said he saw no signs of cancer, and didn't think I had anything to be concerned about. But nonetheless, he did another endoscopic, and confirmed the hiatal hernia, and also saw the stricture, as well as some mild inflammation in the duodenum. He biopsied for H Pylori, which again came back negative. He then did an ultrasound on my gallbladder, which revealed 5 or 6 gallstones. He felt this is what was causing my symptoms. He also ordered a HIDA scan to check the functionality of my gallbladder- it came back normal with no blockages. Once he found the stones, he sent me to a surgeon for a 2nd opinion.

I've seen two surgeons. The first surgeon said that, although my symptoms are somewhat atypical in that I don't have sharp stabbing pain, he has seen a fair share of patients that come in with symptoms similar to mine, and they have the gallbladder removed, and they get along fine for whatever reason. He felt "optimistic" that I would see some improvement of symptoms if I had it removed. The 2nd surgeon told me he's "sitting on the fence" with this one. Again, some of my symptoms sound like gallbladder-related issues, but I don't have the pain that many people have with gallbladder issues. He said he wishes he could tell me that we can remove it and it would take care of the problem, but he just didn't know. It's almost like I have to try it to see what happens kind of thing.

I just don't know what to do...... I've lost about 10 pounds since January. And for a while, I had horrible diarrhea. Now that seems to have subsided, although I do have very loose stools, and sometimes it goes into full-blown diarrhea.

Can someone PLEASE comment on this if you have any insight. I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S. I'm currently on Nexium, but don't notice much difference with the Nexium either. I just want to FEEL better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

Lucydi HB User
Re: Gallstones and constant gnawing burning

Hi I see you posted this back in may did you end up having gall bladder removed in the end? I'm in a similar situation have horrific burning and occasionally the typical gall bladder attack but ultrasound shows everything is fine just multiple small stones and its down to me to have it removed but can't gaurentee the pains and discomfort would go so was just wondering what happened to you in the end

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Multiple small stones is not a "everything is fine" condition. Do you realize that this could cause your gb to rupture and possibly kill you?
Or an emergency surgery with a full cut? I'd be having it out ASAP>

Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
(female)

Lucydi HB User

Yes I am aware of that as I had some one tell me on my post but my consultant never mentioned that and said most people go to the grave with their gall stones but I'm due for a pre assessment on 4th sept and hopefully will be having it removed shortly after

Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't mean to be Ms Doom and Gloom but I do know someone who died from a ruptured gallbladder so I take it very seriously. Be sure to eat NO FAT from now until 2-3 weeks after removal. Then slowly introduce it into your diet. You'll be fine.

Closed Thread

Tags
burning, diarrhea, gallbladder, gallstones, nausea