It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

alysa3 HB User
Constant nausea

Hello everyone,

Iím hoping to get some advice on an ongoing problem Iíve been having with constant nausea. Iím 26 years old, and for the past 4 months have experienced constant 24/7 nausea. Iíve had an endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, hyda scan (to check gallbladder) and all of the basic blood tests. Everything comes back normal, aside from the fact that I do have mild gastritis. I took gastritis medication for several weeks (omeprazole and protonix), but they did not help. My doctor has me on an anti-anxiety medication, since I have been under a lot of stress. However, it seems to me that the underlying cause is not anxiety. The nausea is so bad that I have not been able to work or function normally. It also hurts to press on my stomach, primarily in my upper chest. In addition to some anxiety, I also experience fatigue and lightheadedness when I stand.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms, or have any advice on what I may want to look at? Iíve been to my primary care physician, a gastroenterologist, and my gynecologist. Please help!!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
(male)

com77 HB User
Re: Constant nausea

The ultrasound is not a particular good test. Since you've already had an endoscopy, get a colonscopy - problems in the lower intestine can cause symptoms in the upper digestive tract.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What was your score on the HIDA scan?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

alysa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by commtr View Post
The ultrasound is not a particular good test. Since you've already had an endoscopy, get a colonscopy - problems in the lower intestine can cause symptoms in the upper digestive tract.
Thanks so much for the reply. Have you ever heard of problems in the lower intestine only causing nausea?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

alysa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
What was your score on the HIDA scan?
I'm unsure what the particular score was, but the doctor who performed the test said everything looked 'normal" and that my gallbladder seemed to be working fine.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
(male)

com77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysa3 View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. Have you ever heard of problems in the lower intestine only causing nausea?
Yes, anything gastrointestinal seems to be a mixed bag. Did your blood tests include pancreas enzymes and liver function?

Unrelated question: Are you experiencing any vertigo?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
(female)

alysa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by commtr View Post
Yes, anything gastrointestinal seems to be a mixed bag. Did your blood tests include pancreas enzymes and liver function?

Unrelated question: Are you experiencing any vertigo?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
(female)

alysa3 HB User

My blood tests have looked at h pylori, thyroid, CBC (complete blood count), I believe an ANA test, and celiac. I went to the hospital twice and they ran blood tests, although i am unsure of what exactly is tested in the blood at hospitals. everything seemed to come back fine. I did experience some vertigo at times, but that was believed to be from the several meds i was taking that have known to cause severe dizziness

Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
(male)

com77 HB User

If meds cause vertigo, those meds can cause nausea.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I've been dealing with it for a year. I had similar tests they said I hsd stage 3 reflux. I take zofran for the nausea eat very bland food and chew ginger gum from drug stores.

I'm going for second opinion aug 14th. I have no life. Cathy

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Try Domperidone for Nausea, it does help also Aloe Vera Juice.
Are you taking Probiotics, if not I recommend them.
I had to leave PPIs of because they were causing more stomach problems.
Hope you find an answer,

Solofelix.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Since you are young and just learning the ins and outs of medical care I'm going to give you some advice. Never, ever accept "normal" as a test result. Always, always, ask for a copy of the report and insist that it have the lab's norms shown as well. Many doctors don't realize what normal really is on certain tests. I can't tell you how many people come here and say they had a normal HIDA scan when it turns out it was not normal and the doctor just assumed it was. Below 35% and about 75% are considered non functioning but most general docs don't know about the upper number. They think if it's 90% it's doing really well when, in fact, it is hyper active and needs to be removed.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
(female)

alysa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Try Domperidone for Nausea, it does help also Aloe Vera Juice.
Are you taking Probiotics, if not I recommend them.
I had to leave PPIs of because they were causing more stomach problems.
Hope you find an answer,

Solofelix.
thanks for replying, funny enough i just was told by a family friend to try domperidone. Metoclopramide made me feel extremely anxious and did not work. I recall my gastro doctor saying that aside from metoclopramide, there wasn't anything else to try in the U.S. Do you know if domperidone is safe or why some people seem to think it's not as safe as others?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I took it for a few weeks and had no problem with it, it helped a lot.
I took three tablets per day half an hour before I ate.
What suits one person may not another so it really is a case of trying these things.

Solofelix.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
(male)

com77 HB User

Just gonna make a suggestion: instead of adding to your medicinal arsenal, maybe try going the other way?

Reply Reply