It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

laineyk HB User
H-pylori to SIBO???anyone???

I have had the worst year of my life,,,and it just continues to get worse.

I was diagnosed with HP through endoscopy and biopsy. took Prevpac for 14 days and retetsted 4 weeks later to find it was eradicated.

still had severe symptoms, so had the Hydrogen breath test last Monday and I have SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth)

My insurance is refusing to pay for the antibiotic Xiflaxan (guess it costs between 2-3,000 dollars)

so now what do I do? would love to meet someone else who has this and has gotten rid of it. I am wasting away, lost 45 lbs so far. And feel like crap every single day..

sorry to rant and whine but I barely can function with all this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
(male)

com77 HB User
Re: H-pylori to SIBO???anyone???

Based on your weight loss, I suggest you'd better do some other tests. Drastic weight loss can be caused by cancer or by something (disease, blockage) preventing the small intestine from absorbing nutrients.

i suggest you do the following:
- colonoscopy to see if you have inflammation, tumors or diverculitis
- capsule endoscopy to look into the small intestine
- blood tests: CBC (anemia), pancreatic enzyme function, liver function
- do a series of fecal occult blood tests. Not just one - you need to examine the stool from several bowel movements over a period of a few days

To answer your question, you can try enteric coated peppermint gel capsules. Peppermint has both a relaxing effect on the small intestine and an antibiotic effect (kills bacteria.) This could help your SIBO.

Good luck to you, and please post back results from your tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

laineyk HB User

thank you. I have had a colonoscopy, and several other tests, I was given Biaxin to take 2xs a day for 14 days.

going in for gastric emptying test next week. also the last CR scan shows that I have Hydronephrosis too!!!! have to go in for a special nuclear scan for that too

I am fully aware of wt loss being the 1st sign of Cancer, but we haven't found any yet.

I read about the peppermint, next time I'm out I will purchase some

Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
(male)

com77 HB User

peppermint, and aloe vera juice. make sure the peppermint is enteric-coated so it activates inside the small intestine. the aloe vera juice you can mix with apple juice (or any fruit juice).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post external links here, but if you google "t nation you are what you absorb" you'll find a link to a page where a body builder talks about ways to maintain digestive health. It's a good page. You might look through it and see if you can apply some of it to your situation.

talk to your GI doc about a "capsule endoscopy". it's the only test that looks inside the entire length of the small intestine.

Last edited by com77; 06-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

vdizzle HB User

Hi there laineyk! I too have had H. Pylori, however I have not had SIBO. While I may not be able to help you with that, I can tell you that when I had H. Pylori, I too lost about 40lbs in a 3 month period. It was a very scary experience. My H. Pylori did not go away with the first treatment. I had to do 3 different rounds of treatment which lasted about 3 months. Mine was also diagnosed with a biopsy from endoscopy. At that time, they also found that I have a hiatal hernia too.

I think com77 is right about the aloe vera juice and the peppermint. I have seen good results with the aloe vera juice, just a small amount once or twice a day.

I wish you well and hope you can get to the bottom of this quickly!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
(male)

com77 HB User

One more thing. Regular cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise has a direct impact on digestion. The proper way to receive this benefit is as follows:

- minimum of five days a week. ideally every day

- identify your target heart rate range based on age, eg. a 45-year old would be 130-150bpm (google something like "aerobic target heart rate")

- achieve this rate and maintain it for at least 20-30 minutes continuously.

Typical ways to achieve is through running, jogging, stairmaster or treadmill (faster with no incline, slower with incline), but any type of aerobic exercise that utilizes the large muscles will work.

(Many people mistakenly believe that walking on a level surface is sufficient, but it is not. Also many people think two or three days a week is good, but you actually get very little benefit from that. You need at least five days a week, and to get the heart rate up and maintain it for 20 or 30 minutes. Even brisk walking won't do that, so you need to either run, or do incline or stairs.)

The incline or stairs are lower-impact than running. Although I am a good runner, I personally prefer the treadmill, stairmaster, or actual hiking on steep terrain.

If for some reason, you are unable or unwilling to exercise your legs, you can have the same cardio workout with an arm bicycle or rowing machine. Any repetive exercise using large muscles produces an aerobic workout.

Last edited by com77; 06-21-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

laineyk HB User

vdizzle and comp77, thanks for the input. I "powerwalk" everyday 45 minutes.
I just read up on the s/e of this antibiotics they prescribed and I am NOT taking it. Going to health store tomorrow for the peppermint and aloe vera juice

Vdizzle, wasn't HP the worse nightmare? thought I was dieing

Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
(female)

laineyk HB User

com77, I have been given sulfamethoazole-TMP DS. do you know if its ok to take the peppermint along with the antibiotic

Old 05-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
(female)

apples1234 HB User

maybe you should buy some gse (grapfefruit seed extract) make sure it's the extract of the pulp of the grapefruit seed and once again look for some alternatives on the internet for treatment of SIBO. I would if I was you try to raise the money for the antibiotic because if your doctor prescribed that it might work to get rid of the sibo/symptoms, maybe even take out a loan from the bank if you can afford to pay it back. just get creative and don't give up. do what's safe and healthy for you. health is important. tc

Closed Thread