It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

HPinVA HB User
Metronidazole/Tetracycline/Pepto Bismol

My GI today prescribed me with Metronidazole - 125 mg - 4 times a day, Tetracyline, 125 mg. - 4 times a day and Pepto Bismol twice a day for H Pylori. This will be for 10 days.

I used PrevPac once for 7 days but it did not work which is why she switched to this regiment for me.

Has anyone had this combo and how did you do with it? Side effects sound horrible and 4 times a day is a bit much but I have to do it and plan to start on Wednesday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
(female)

HPinVA HB User
Re: Metronidazole/Tetracycline/Pepto Bismol

I realized this is basically "Pylera" but my doctor did not prescribe a PPI. I thought that was a very important part of the treatment.
I called back and they ordered 15 mg. in the mornings only.
Usually I believe it is 20 mg morning and night.
Can HP be cured without a PPI???
If I hadn't called I wouldn't have been taking one at all! I am kind of concerned about that since I already had one failed attempt.

And for anyone who is considering either medicine regime - even though Pylera is every 6 hours it is WAY better than PrevPac. Less side effects. I am on Day 3 now and the only problem has been lower back pain and groin pain which I am not sure if it is related or not, but not too bad anyway. That is way better than the nausea, bad taste, dry mouth and dizziness with PrevPac!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

ImpartialPath HB User

Oh the memories your post triggered! Yes, I had to go through treatment for H. pylori and it was awful. I took the regime you are asking about although I had to stay on it for 4 weeks. I wanted to quit many times but, as you say, you just have to do it and get through it. Towards the end I did not dare leave the house due to what happens when you get a sterile gut. Diarrhea! Then I got a C. difficile infection due to the sterile gut. I am thinking that maybe being on it for 10 days the first go round is wise. Then if it doesn't clear up, maybe you will take it for a longer period of time. My doctor also did not prescribe the ppi. I called to point this out but decided to drop the subject and declined the prescription after talking to his office. Maybe I should have taken it. Since your doctor basically did the same thing, perhaps there is a real reason they didn't do that. But I hope you do well and get the pesky HP out of there! Good luck and stay the course!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

HPinVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpartialPath View Post
Oh the memories your post triggered! Yes, I had to go through treatment for H. pylori and it was awful. I took the regime you are asking about although I had to stay on it for 4 weeks. I wanted to quit many times but, as you say, you just have to do it and get through it. Towards the end I did not dare leave the house due to what happens when you get a sterile gut. Diarrhea! Then I got a C. difficile infection due to the sterile gut. I am thinking that maybe being on it for 10 days the first go round is wise. Then if it doesn't clear up, maybe you will take it for a longer period of time. My doctor also did not prescribe the ppi. I called to point this out but decided to drop the subject and declined the prescription after talking to his office. Maybe I should have taken it. Since your doctor basically did the same thing, perhaps there is a real reason they didn't do that. But I hope you do well and get the pesky HP out of there! Good luck and stay the course!
Wow - 4 weeks! You are a trooper if you managed that! I assume that killed the bacteria!? CDiff is one of my other worries as I hear so many horrible stories of what happens after eradication. I hope you are back to full health now. Hopefully I can just finish the 10 days and be done with it and no other issues come up.

I am at least taking a low dose PPI in the mornings so hopefully that will help.

Fingers crossed! I will update here for anyone else going through this. I don't go for the follow up breath test until the end of August though. I feel like I will be able to tell if it worked before that or I hope I will.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

ImpartialPath HB User
Smile Re: Metronidazole/Tetracycline/Pepto Bismol

You make me smile! Thanks! The first thing I noticed about the CDiff was the "foul smelling stools". I had thought previously that as far as I was concerned ALL stools smelled foul! LOL! But NOTHING can smell as bad as CDiff. So that is the first clue in my opinion. Believe me...you will have no doubts when you cross the line into foul smelling. Then get help quickly. I tried denying that anything was wrong and figured that it had to cure itself sometime...my body was capable of that! I was so sure. But alas that didn't happen....even though I waited 5 months before mentioning it to my doctor. He couldn't believe I had waited that long! So....whatever you do, don't wait long if you even suspect you may have developed it. We know our bodies better than our physicians do, after all. I will be anxious to hear how this all turns out for you. I will be crossing my fingers and saying prayers! When things go wrong with the GI tract, life can certainly become rather miserable. Thank goodness for medicine and alert, involved patients like you, eh? Take care of yourself!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
(female)

HPinVA HB User

You would think foul smelling just goes along, but I will definitely alert my doctor if it is a beyond foul! I never knew about any of this before March of this year.

At the moment, the treatment IS now getting a bit harder. Between dose 17 and 18 (out of 40) my tongue turned totally black! I know it is harmless but kind of disturbing nonetheless. Also, bloating, heartburn and horrible metallic taste have begun. I can also usually eat anything and today some slightly spiced Chinese food did me in :-(

I am debating whether to take a probiotic now with the meds. My GI said it won't do anything during treatment and to start afterwards but my GP said it may help, but not within 2 hours of the antibiotics. Not sure who is right.

I will be done on Saturday so hopefully things don't get too much worse. I still don't know how you managed one month!! I am counting down my doses!

Thanks for your advice, prayers and shared experience. It really does help :-)

Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

ImpartialPath HB User

I am standing with you! At some point, the extremely soft stools will likely begin as your gut goes sterile from all of the antibiotics. Then diarrhea. But I learned something...poop from a sterile gut does not smell! Mushy stools that are odorless?? Yep. I felt like I had made a scientific discovery or something! Amazing.

I lost interest in eating...the metallic taste takes the joy out of it, right? But at least this stuff isn't forever! It goes away slowly once treatment stops. I started eating yogurt once my treatment was over to try to slowly reintroduce bacteria into my gut. Maybe I should have really pushed it so that the CDiff would not have had "wide open spaces" to grow like wildfire. I could have done without it. I think you have the correct idea to repopulate your gut as quickly as possible.

In my opinion, taking probiotics while on this regime sort of makes sense. Yet probiotics are very expensive (to me) and almost all of it will be killed off by the antibiotics even if you wait 2 hours between doses to take the probiotics. I don't know how you are spacing your 4 doses of antibiotics per day but I would imagine that it works out to be about 4 hours between. So your schedule is going to be more complex to keep it all spaced out! But then again, if you consistently are replenishing bacteria and some might make it through, then maybe there is a lesser chance of the evil CDiff getting a superior foothold? I can understand where each of your doctors are coming from.

You will make it! I remember celebrating with a weak hurrah when I reached the halfway point of my treatment. So celebrate and give yourself a hug when you get there! Maybe a new book you've been wanting to read to help get past this or a computer game to take your mind off of things? However...I do not recommend a bubble bath at this time! Yuck!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
(female)

HPinVA HB User

Probiotics can be expensive but my doc. recommended Lactinex - 1 packet twice daily after I am done with the meds. I haven't bought them yet but I will and it was only $14 which I don't think is bad considering the Tetracylicne was $65 (with insurance)! I did see some some others that were way more though. Well worth whatever it costs if I don't get CDiff though that is for sure.

Overall I really shouldn't complain since the HPylori never really gave me really severe problems and overall I am doing pretty well so keeping positive here for the most part!

I will be done on Saturday then we go to the beach for 4 days with the family on Tuesday. Even though "Beach Vacation" is a bit of an oxy-moron with 3 young kids :-)

Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
(female)

HPinVA HB User

So, on Day 6 of the meds I started getting more ringing in my ears. I generally have it to some degree anyway, worse at night though but it was starting in the day so I mentioned it in a message to my doctor. It did say Ear Ringing was a serious side effect but then they left me a message at 5:30 telling me to stop the meds!

I was beside myself with anxiety thinking if I stop the HPylori won't be eradicated but if I continue what could happen!?

The on call doc was no help at all deferring to my docs. recommendation to stop. Since it is a holiday I can't get in touch with anyone.

I have continued the meds anyway and went over to a "Minute Clinic" to have my ears checked and the one that is worse with ringing is full of wax and she couldn't even see in so I hope that is the reason for my increased ringing and not the meds.

Still worried though. I was late for several doses since I was undecided about what to do so I hope that didn't compromise the effectiveness. I have 7 doses left so by tomorrow I will be done if I manage all of them.

What would you do? Is ear ringing so serious at this point (after 6-8 days)? And the fact that it is not totally new to me just more intense. Could anxiety be making it worse too? I am pretty anxious too.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
(female)

HPinVA HB User

I just wanted to update for anyone also taking this combo or Pylera which is the same thing. I finished all the meds but was late on several doses since the ringing in my ears was so bad and was kind of worried. I still have it now but it comes and goes. But overall it was ok and much better for me than Prevpac.

After I did have a white tongue which is slowly fading, some burning in my throat but again not bad. I started probiotics right away and will follow up with the breath test at the end of August.

Closed Thread