It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

HPinVA HB User
Upper GI/Barium after H Pylori / Celiac?

Just wondering if anyone had this after they were treated for H Pylori (or even before)? I have never had one or an endoscopy but took 2 rounds of antibiotics to try to eradicate the H Pylori. I am not sure if it is cured yet or not.

I am scheduled to have the Upper GI Series next Wednesday and since I am a worrier and have a phobia of meds./swallowing stuff like barium I am debating cancelling. Plus, I have read conflicting reports or how useful it is. Some say it is useless others say it can show ulcers or stomach damage/cancer.

Has anyone had one that actually was useful? And how bad is the barium and after effects?

In addition, I have had 2 positive gluten, blood results. My last one was negative but I still suspect I may have Celiac since gluten does not agree with me and my allergist also tested for it and I reacted to gluten plus a lot of other foods. I don't think the barium/Upper GI can show this though as far as I know.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

laineyk HB User
Re: Upper GI/Barium after H Pylori / Celiac?

I did have H-pylori after having an endoscopy with biopsy, true blue way of finding Cancer, ulcers, etc

after treatment I had stool test 4 weeks after to find that HP had been eradicated

still was in miserable pain and belching so had a Hydrogen breath test and found out I have SIBO now

good luck in your quest for answers, but I believe the endoscopy is the best way to go

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

HPinVA HB User
Re: Upper GI/Barium after H Pylori / Celiac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laineyk View Post
I did have H-pylori after having an endoscopy with biopsy, true blue way of finding Cancer, ulcers, etc

after treatment I had stool test 4 weeks after to find that HP had been eradicated

still was in miserable pain and belching so had a Hydrogen breath test and found out I have SIBO now

good luck in your quest for answers, but I believe the endoscopy is the best way to go
Thanks Lainey. I know it is the "gold standard" but I am so terrified of the endoscope I am holding off since my symptoms are not that bad. Between my phobia of meds (anesthia) and swallowing/choking fear the endoscope is a nightmare for me :-( That is why my doc said to start off with the barium xray and if there are any abnormalities from that then we can go to the endoscope. I am just not sure it that is worthwhile. If my symptoms get worse then jit may be better to just face my fear and do the endo. only.
I guess I will see. I won't know if the H Pylori is eradicated until the end of Aug. I hope you start to get better. It has been a long process for you!

Reply Reply