It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
(male)

NoNoNexium HB User
Switching from Nexium to Ranitidine?

Hi,

Been reading about many people who have gotten off Nexium and the various healthy items they make a regular part of their diet to avoid the nasty acid rebound, things like Aloe Vera juice, acidophillus, DGL, Papaya enzymes, etc.

But what if you're only switching from Nexium to Zantac? Would you just be sure to use Apple Cider Vinegar when the acid comes back? If you try to integrate the various healthy supplements above, don't they get destroyed by the Zantac/Ranitidine?

I have a doctor who says he's switched many people from Nexium to Ranitidine without tapering people off first from Nexium.....

Richard L.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

Budgiegirl HB UserBudgiegirl HB User
Re: Switching from Nexium to Ranitidine?

My mom was taking both nexium and ranitidine. She was then taken off nexium and put on tecta as nexium held off further damage but could not help her stomach to heal. If you are switching from nexium to ranitidine, it should not be that big a deal. Ranitidine has been very helpful in controlling the acid. The nexium not so much. You may actually notice an improvement quicker than you expect. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
(male)

synapticdance HB User
Re: Switching from Nexium to Ranitidine?

Hello,

My mother was taking a PPI called Omprezole, not long-term use, but still used it off and on for a time. But now she has been quite successful taking Zantac (brand name for Ranitidine) and I believe it is a regular 150 mg tab that you can get OTC.

Now, she never had to use acidity raising products like Apple Cider Vinegar as she found them too harsh, even when diluted, she is a white wine drinker, she avoids all spicy foods, and tries to consume yogurt somewhat regularly.

So in my mind, I think the switch is rather quick and painless. This is also coming from someone who suffers from LPR. I have never used a PPI for more than a week... as I just couldn't tolerate the side effects.

I am a fan of probiotics and lots of natural yogurt.

Hope that helps... even somewhat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoNexium View Post
Hi,

Been reading about many people who have gotten off Nexium and the various healthy items they make a regular part of their diet to avoid the nasty acid rebound, things like Aloe Vera juice, acidophillus, DGL, Papaya enzymes, etc.

But what if you're only switching from Nexium to Zantac? Would you just be sure to use Apple Cider Vinegar when the acid comes back? If you try to integrate the various healthy supplements above, don't they get destroyed by the Zantac/Ranitidine?

I have a doctor who says he's switched many people from Nexium to Ranitidine without tapering people off first from Nexium.....

Richard L.

Closed Thread