It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

Kirii HB User
Disability and then getting married question.

Well I just got approved September and I already recieved backpay for at least my SSI, waiting on disability. But I actually have two questions.

I'm 25 years old and they have my SSI and Disability under my mom's name since i have Bi-Polar and Anxiety issues. What can I do to change this and if I do will it affect my Disability decision.

And my mother said if I get married it'll affect my disability. I'm not planning on marriage, but my boyfriend wants to bad. I keep telling him it could affect it and he swears it wont. Need Advice here!

Old 10-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #2

SKYLYNN HB User
Re: Disability and then getting married question.

..hi kirii...
welcome to the boards.i was told when i called for ssi benefits that if i was married or going to get married that my spouse's income will affect your ssi.they go be the income.i was told it has to be under 2000.00 dollars amonth.but if it is still under that amount a month they will adjust your benifits.so the answer to your question is yes by being married on ssi your amount will be affected.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

I'm a bit confused! For which SSA program did you get approval? And when you say it is in your mom's name, do you mean she is your representative payee - the money comes in her name. Or did you mean you qualify as a dependent on HER SSDI?

You might want to google SSI income limits. The gov page on SSI probably has the info you need. If you are getting SSDI in your name, that's another thing and there is a site for that also.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

Kirii HB User

I'm still new to the disability and SSI things Got approved first time around so all happy.

My mom is the payee until I get the doctor to say that i'm competent enough to pay my own bills and such. It's all for me, but just goes to a bank account set up for me but under her name. They said i'm not allowed any checks or debit card it all goes to her. I think it's silly and the guy who was doing my paperwork thought so to, but they said it's the rules. I think i'm a little bit to old for this and i've lived away from my parents for 3 years. The only reason I'm living with them now is that I have a 9 month old that needs a stable enviroment. Her father was abusive to me and his other son. I didn't want that life for my daughter. It feels like i'm being punished by the Government for living with parents. They said I needed receipts for everything that I bought!!!

Old 10-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Smile Re: Disability and then getting married question.

Hi Kirii

SSI and SSDI are two seperate disability insurances. As far as I'm aware, you cannot receive both, although both are usually applied for at the beginning of the determination process, just as a matter of efficiency.

SSI is awarded to those who have not worked in the workforce enough to have contributed (through paycheck deductions) to their Social Security. The SSDI is awarded to those who have worked and contributed toward their Social Security by paycheck tax deductions. The SSDI will usually be the larger amount awarded of the two.

That being said, and assuming that you have not worked for a sufficient amount of time to qualify for the SSDI, and it is later determined that you are competent to run your own financial affairs, you should be able to draw SSI under your own name eventually.

I draw SSDI and have a young son, who also receives an amount under my SSDI. Since he is my own child, and not a foster child, etc., I do not have to supply receipts or itemize how his money is spent, but I do have to fill out a yearly account of where this money goes, in general, aggregate totals. Any accounts I keep for him must be in his name, listing myself as the Payee.

Now, I cannot speak to how SSI requires accountability, but I'm assuming, since you are receiving money under your mother's name, that once you have been awarded SSI payments under your own name, that your child will also receive an amount under your name, just as you are now receiving monies via your mother's SSI.

You didn't mention whether your mother is also receiving SSI for herself as well, so that may come into play as far as how the benefits are computed and handled....but definitely check it out, because I only know how SSDI is handled, and I'm really just assuming here regarding the SSI.

Also I would suggest calling your rep. and inquiring to make sure that your daughter is receiving whatever she may be currently eligible for, as well as what she will be eligible for once your SSI is initiated in your name.

I hope some of this helps. Do go to the Social Security site and read there....it is very helpful and informative.

About the marriage question...with SSDI, when I married, it did NOT change the amount of my monthly award, but it did create a situation whereby a portion/percentage of my SSDI is taxed at the end of each year. This taxable amount is minimal and most of my yearly SSDI amounts are not taxed.

Best Wishes,

~Teri

Last edited by franjo; 10-21-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
(male)

Purplebill HB User

Actually, many claimants receive both SSDI and SSI, they are known as dual eligibles. this usually occurs when the SSDI benefit is lower then the state mandated SSI amount. The current Federal mandate for SSI is $564.00 per month (a few states supplement this amount with their own funding) so if that is your state's SSI amount, and your SSDI award is less than $564.00, then you may become eligible for SSI as well. The combined award of both SSDI and SSI would be $584.00 per month due to the $20.00 unearned income set aside. This is assuming that the claimant meets the non-medical requirements for SSI.

Children of SSI recipients are not entitled to receive any money from SSA, this only happens in the SSDI realm. In Kirii's case, she would need to look to state assistance through TANF for her daughter.

I am not sure I understand why she thinks she is being punished. Normally, she would have a payee only because some doctor stated in some medical record or report, that she was unable to effectively manage her own funds. So she is correct in her understanding that she needs to have her treating physician state that she can now manage her own funds. There is even a form from SSA for this purpose (SSA Form-787).

Skylynn was correct when she noted that SSI is very much affected (or even terminated) by spousal income as well as assets that a spouse may bring to the marriage.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Disability and then getting married question.

Quote:
Actually, many claimants receive both SSDI and SSI, they are known as dual eligibles.
Purplebill....

Thank you for setting me straight on this...I've often read posts where someone has indicated that they will be getting both, but I always thought they were confusing the dual application process and not the actual awards received. Somewhere down the line I've been told that you cannot receive both, but it was probably my attorney explaining my particular situation.

Again, thanks! I've learned several things from your reply.

Regards,

~Teri

Old 10-22-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
(female)

Kirii HB User

my rep said that the state maximum is 584. I'll be making 574. <----that's Disability. Right now i'm making 329 a month in SSI, next month it'll be raised by 200 because they terminated my state benefits of 142 a month based on my SSI backpay. They killed all my food stamps based on my backpay... I'm a little peeved, but nothing I can do about it. They took a application for my daughter to receive benefits under me but it goes under my mom's name. My mom doesn't receive any SSI or SSDI benefits. She's the one that keeps telling me if i get married I lose it all. They told me once I get my SSDI then my SSI will be lowered alot.

Not sure what insurance i'll have. I've been told so many things from both the state rep and Disability rep. Was told my Tenncare will be cut off, and i'll get Tenncare under SSI.. I swear he said that. I called the Social Security office and they said they don't deal with Tenncare insurance. I called my state rep and he said the Disability guy didn't have a clue then said i'd still may get Tenncare.

Then I get this stupid thing in the mail saying my state benefits *which were cut* will get cut if I don't cooperate with Child support which I have since day 1. It's ok for me to lose things because of child support, but the man who has 3 kids and doesn't pay for any of them doesn't get punished. Had to vent :P

Old 10-22-2004, 07:47 PM   #9

SKYLYNN HB User

kirii....are you on concurrent benefits.thats when you get both ssd and ssi.from what i was told by ssa is that concurrent benefits are when lets say that you went out and tried to work.and you had a relapse with your depression.as long as you dont make over their guide lines you would be ok.or say you went out and worked 9 months or more ssa told me that you would be cut off.to them you are not disable.but if you had a relapse after the 9 months of working and you were cut off then you would be able to fill out another file and your benifits would be back without the wait and doctors exams.i am no expert i am just repeating what was said to me.but i was also told when you first apply for ssi and ssd sometimes the backpay is ssi and then when your ssd payments start the ssi is dropped.and you are only on ssd.which medicare kicks in after the 2 yr onset.ssa is very confusing to me i am still learning to prepare myself for this long road of waiting.well take care and good luck.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:54 AM   #10
(female)

Kirii HB User

not sure about that, I was never told anything about going to work though I have read about what you're talking about. I know my SSDI is going into backpay right now which it's only been a month since i've been approved so I know it may take a while. But I was told i'd get Tenncare next month. I just wish I knew something for sure. It seems like nobody there has any clue. Though I can't understand why they'd cut me off from Insurance when they know there's something wrong with me.

What peeves me off is i've been trying to get breast "reduction" surgery approved for a while now through my insurance. My mom's friend got hers approved and it just irritates me that I may lose my insurance and have to deal with this constant back pain and rashes.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:31 AM   #11

SKYLYNN HB User

kirii..i wish the best for you with surgery if you get approved.the reason why i thought it may be concurrent benifits was that my nephew has bipolor and and schizophrenia.she applied for him last year after a year had passed of this illness.he is 22 yrs old.he did work for a few yrs.before it hit him and he was put in a mental hospital.she applied for both ssi and ssd for him.the funny thing is we thought he would not get ssd because of his age and not enough work credits.but to our surprize..he got approved this may and his retro was from ssi and his regular monthly check is ssd.my sister called ssa about medicade for him and she was told that he will not be getting medicade cuz the ssd was higher then the ssi and the ssi would only be his retro.he would get medicare next yr.i still don't understand how this works.but she was told since his ssd amount was higher then ssi the ssd would be the payout.my nephew has a payee too.the doctors said he is not able to pay or handle his bills or money.but that is in new york i dont know about other state policies.the way i was told is if your primary is ssd then you should be getting medicare.if your ssi is secondary then you could also get medicade but it would be secondary to medicare.its very confusing..

Old 10-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #12
(female)

Kirii HB User

yes that is confusing :P

Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hey pal,
I know you seem really angry in your posts, However, you are way off base. Please get yourself educated about how Social Security runs and their rules. It will surprise you. Knowledge is power, my friend.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
nicki447 (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

SSDI is not affected by income of spouse or other household members. The person receiving SSDI paid into SSDI for years via payroll deductions. He/she earned enough SS credits to be eligible for SSDI and applied within required time line after stopping work. It's more like typical disability "insurance". If someone stops working and 10 years later becomes disabled their SSDI credits will have expired and they will not be eligible. This again is similar to insurance, if you aren't paying in recently and aren't working then you haven't had a financial loss by becoming unable to work...which you weren't doing anyway.

However SSI is more welfare based. Although the person may have worked a long time ago or recently at minimal wages, he/she does not have enough credits to get SSDI. So SSI is based on disability and financial need.

SSDI credits: http://ssa.gov/pubs/10072.html
SSI income limits: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11000.html

Closed Thread