It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

countrycraft HB User
Question visit with Physchiatrist- I THINK I blew it:(

oh gee I feel like such an idiot !
after filing for disability it was my first visit with the physch-
I told my slef I was NOT going to cry - WELL guess what ??
I bet I cried the almost the WHOLE hour I was in there- I felt so foolish and I kept apologizing--and someof the questions OMG like I am suppose to KNOW and remember
after all of the questions towards the end he said some numbers and wanted me to repeat them "BACKWARDS" well the first few of THREE were easy - then he got to 5- 7 numbers WELL forget it I couldn't remember them frontwards , let alone backwards ! and then he said counting back from 100 tell me then in 3's ! ! ! OH GOD I bet he thought I was completely STUPID ! I just couldn't do it well I got a few but that was it - I had to count on my fingers and talk out loud-just felt so stupid
he asked me who the wisconsin govenor was - well I had no idea so I just guessed - I was wrong of course ( I later asked my husband who was), I told the guy I don't pay attention to that stuff cause I don't understand it !
then I TOTALLY screwed up on today s date - he asked me what day it was - I said 9-11 he says what ?? I said 9-11 cause I didn't want to come here today you know september 11th ??? then he says what month is this I said november - I had the number s all screwed up , and my appt was at 9 - I'm weird I know - sorry

what I don't understand is HOW do they base as to wehter you are qualified for disability on just a ONE time visit ??
he also asked me how I felt about myself - I said I HATE myself and how can I like myself whenI am in PAIN 24-7 ???
I have been dealing with this all alone for about 4 years now with NO MEDS - only samples from the clinic that didn't do any good at all -

then he wanted to talk to my husband alone - that was for like 10 ,minutes- and the guy asked him about my moods and my pain - my husband told him the same as I told him- he can't take living with my moods - he left me once and is about ready to leave me again....

so now I am worried as to whether I blew it big time - or if my truthfulness paid off - any ideas ANYONE ???
will I get sent to a medical DR too ??
PLease I need some answers here
I worry ALOT - even about things that haven't even happend
THANKS ALL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #2
(male)

survivin HB User
Thumbs up Re: visit with Physchiatrist- I THINK I blew it:(

i went through this process a number of times. starting about 3 years ago. i was awarded disability benefits and social security as well as workers comp benefits and pending settlement. from my experience with these guys, it sounds like you havent messed up at all. those answers are not meant to guage your knowledge but rather see how well you are mentating. to see if you are able to hold concentration on something rather then how much book knowlege an individual has. i would say it helped your case greatly. although the symptoms themselves are not easy to live with. for your question. i would say it helped

Old 11-11-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

countrycraft HB User
Re: visit with Physchiatrist- I THINK I blew it:(

oMG does that mean I might have to WAIT for 3 years ??? OH NO
I will definatley have gone CRAZY big time in that length of time - it's already been 4-5-6 years I have been TRYIng and doing my best to deal with the pain , going through my change of life and now to be depressed and to think I may have wait more years ??? oH NO I won't be able to take it that much longer - and I have JUST signed up moreless - what else do I have to do before they decide ?? and WHY does it take them SO LONG to decide ??
THANKS so much for your quik reply I really appreciate it
Gran ( actually I'm a 45 year old gran that feels 95)

Old 11-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

I don't think you blew it..I think you did the best you could and displayed what is really going on. If you could 'pass' this with flying colors, you wouldn't need to visit with this doctor. These tests are typical when diagnosing functional abilities, of which you are lacking. That is precisely why you are applying for disability, right? He is a medical doctor, BTW. And better able to discuss and tests your ability to function from a mental point of view than an MD who looks only at your physical abilities. I too became very anxious and weepy during my exam. It is hard to accept our limitations, and when placed in a situation where we are confronted with it so clearly...it hits us really hard.

Take care of yourself.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
(male)

survivin HB User
Cool Re: visit with Physchiatrist- I THINK I blew it:(

no, the disability side of the house didnt take very long. i think it was about 3 weeks. although i hear that was pretty fast. the workers comp side is the one thats dragging. but i hear it is really different with each case

Last edited by survivin; 11-12-2004 at 01:49 PM.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi Survivin,
I also have been on w/c for 2 years,and I applyed for ss, and was denied, they said I get to much from w/c, well first of all its not much and it will not be forever. I am more worried about medical than anything else. I think I will just reapply again, I think when I see my dr. thursday I will know more about w/c, because they did and evaluation and said I could not work a 3 hour day, and traving would be very unsafe, so I think they will set up a settlement soon.
Hope you have a good day
cookie

Old 11-15-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hey cookie, whatever you decide to do here do not,i repeat do not start the whole process all over again or will will have to do EVERYTHING over agin, and it will take you possibly years to get to the point where you are already at with them.What stage did you leave this all at before?did you drop the whloe thing right after the first denial or did you go through the initial, then reconsideration then the judge?if you already passed through all the stages, I don't believe you have to actually reapply again.i would contact a disability lawyer and talk with them before you actually DO ANYTHING here,really.You definitely do not want to start this all over again if you really don't have to.God.the thought of going through all that again just makes me cringe here ya know?i am at the reconsideration stage and still waiting to here anything from them.i had my visit with the shrink on the 22nd of sept and thought that once that was done, it would be pretty much overwith and would be hearing a decision in just a matter of weeks but once again,I was wrong.God this waiting sucks!!Good luck to you.marcia

Old 11-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi Feelbad,
I just talked to ss office on the phone and they asked me questions and sent the denial in the mail, they did not ask why I was applying , only that I was on w/c and how much my husband makes. So I think I will settle with w/c and then reapply, I dont know what to do, if I should settle first and the reapply, as you can tell I dont know much about the system. Sure is different when they take my tax money when I am working, but the minute I am off work, due to illness, they dont want to pay me a dime. Some people get it and they never worked a day. Sorry for venting, but they drive me crazy.
Hope you have a good night
cookie

Old 11-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Please contact a good disability lawyer before you make any kind of final decision here as this will impact your future immensely.If i was this unsure of what to do next,i would be on the phone to a lawyer in a heart beat as i would not want to screw things up for myself.good luck.marcia

Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

Cookie,

Is there a chance that you are getting SSI and SSDI mixed up? I'm confused by your post because SSI basis their decision on income alone. SSDI does not. When you file for Social Security Disability Insurance and have received enough earnings points, it doesn't matter if you have another income or make a 6 figure income. SSI, on the other hand, is based on financial need and if your husband makes more than the max amount, you won't qualify. They even tell you that over the phone. SSDI doesn't usually tell you over the phone if you've been denied. It is usually sent to you via a letter. If you were given a denial of some sort over the phone while providing information, that was probably for SSI and maybe you haven't heard anything yet from SSDI. It usually takes about 3-6 months before you hear anything - good or bad.

Gran, as far as your eval goes, if you are applying for LTD through your work, all you need to do, in most cases, is send a written request to the insurance company for a copy of the report. They usually won't release that without a written request. I have no idea how SSDI handles requests for an evaluation. In fact, I've heard that it is pretty rare that they even send you to a dr. for further tests during an initial application.

Last edited by kaybee; 11-17-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Chronic pain?? If I had it I don't think I'd remember my own name. You didn't blow it, you acted naturally. Good luck.

Closed Thread