It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User
Question Intracranial Hypertension & Disability

My sister has IH/Pseudotumor Cerebri (and other medical problems) and is thinking about applying for disability. I was wondering if anyone with this diagnosis has applied and were you denied or awarded?

Her other problems are:
Emtpy Sella
Papilloedema/Optic Neuritis
PCOS
Acute Sinusitis with 3 cysts in 3 different sinus cavities
Squashed Pituitary Gland

Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User
Re: Intracranial Hypertension & Disability

I am not familiar with this particular disease. The disease itself is not a guarantee of being awarded SSDI; the decision is based on how it effects the person's ability to be gainfully employed. The SSA website has some info that might help, but it would be more decisive for her if she simply applied for SSDI. If you have read the threads on this board you see so many different diseases and symptoms, it would be difficult to comment on your sister's specifics!

A squashed pituitary sounds awful.

So many words to say simply that how she is able to function will be the key, not the specific disease, unless it is end-stage renal failure - the only one I know that gets a favorable rather quickly.

Is she working now? There is a waiting period of 5 months
(not working) before you can apply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

She's working now but barely making it through the day. She has 10 different doctors that she has to see on a regular basis and is thinking about getting on short/long-term disability through her job and then filing for ssdi. She's been sick since 2002 and tried to continue to work but it's getting to the point now where she can barely function.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

If I had a vote, I would vote for the job disability first! Usually much less problem than SSDI. You never know, she might get well if she can rest and take care of herself. If not, at least she will know in 6 months and can then apply for SSDI. Best of luck to her, you are sweet to help her out.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:31 PM   #5

Kaylbe HB User

It is generally always much easier to go on private disability through an employer than to try and get SSDI benefits. The reason? The criteria to qualify is different. Most private short term disability will be paid with a completed form from a treating physician who says you cannot work. Most policies require only that the recipient be unable to perform the duties of their current position. Social security disability requires that you be unable to perform any work that exists in the national economy in reasonable numbers. This is a big difference.

If a person is out on private disability insurance for any amount of time, a long term policy may take over at some point (often at 6 months.) It is then that the insurance company may start asking questions or may require you to obtain an independent medical examination. Things begin to get a bit more difficult. Many private long term disability plans require that the beneficiary apply for SSDI benefits. If awarded, the private disability amount is offset by any government benefits you receive.

Even knowing a diagnosis, it's really impossible to guess if a person will be awarded SSDI benefits. SS is not so much worried about what is wrong with you and what you can no longer do. They are more concerned with what you are still able to do despite your disabling condition(s). The process is long and difficult, sometimes taking 2-3 years.

Having "been there, done that", I would suggest applying for SSDI benefits and going out on short term disability if your sister is to the point where she is unable to work. She would therefore be receiving her private insurance benefits while she pursues SSDI. If she's able to return to full time work at some point, SSDI will simply deny her claim.

--Kaylbe

Old 12-05-2004, 03:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

Thank you very much for the information. I do believe she is going to be getting on short term disability through her job. I'll keep you all posted.

Closed Thread