It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

coffeecup22 HB User
Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Hi,
I am new to the boards.
My doctor stated he would give me a letter for SSD.
He told me that he needs a format in order for SSD
to accept it. In other words I need a sample letter to
follow that, hopefully, is thorough, fully explaining why I cannot
do the same work I have been doing, due to Fibromyalgia,
Osteoarthritis, Depression, Brain Fog, Carpal Tunnel, Chronic
Pain, ect.
Is there a site that would give me a sample letter to follow?
I am a 60 year old nurse in critical care and cannot even follow
orders or administer medications due to lack of concentration
and lack of critical thinking, not to mention the pain.
Thank you.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

I didn't know there was a set letter for the doctors to fill out. Not to be ignorant or anything like that, but shouldn't your doctor already know this information? You might try looking on the Social Security website I think it's www.ssa.gov

The Following User Says Thank You to bbybyrd For This Useful Post:
Hurtin4Certain (02-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

tiresome HB User

Hello, I believe what you are looking for is a RFC form. It stands for "Residual Functional Capacity Form" I believe you can requst this on the www.ssa.gov site as they have several forms that you can request.
This will make sure that your doctor puts all the necessary information in the letter and give him/her a summary of what is needed. Good luck to you!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tiresome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #4

Kaylbe HB User

There are no form letters available that I know of which would fit the criteria you have outlined. SS does not require any special format (as your doctor implied.) I'm sure your doctor must be familiar enough with SS and/or private disability carriers to know how to outline the required history/disease progression.

One hint: SS is not so much concerned with what is wrong with you as they are with what you can still do despite your condition(s). Therefore your doctor will want to be sure to include as much information as possible regarding your residual functioning capacity; how much can you lift, push, pull, carry, how long can you stand, walk, sit, etc. These type of details, in addition to your diagnosis, are what is needed in order to approve your claim.

One thing you can do to help: check the SS Listing of Impairments (Blue Book) and provide your physician with the pages that deal with your particular condition(s). This will let the doctor know what information will need to be submitted in order for you to qualify under a listed impairment. If you meet the criteria for a listed impairment, it's a bit easier to be awarded benefits. If you don't, all is not lost. Your disability must still be evaluated and a determination made. If you have more than one impairment, yet none are severe in their own right, they must consider how all of the conditions affect you in combination.

Hope this helps. I know it must be devastating to realize and acknowledge that you can no longer meet the demands of your job. Don't lose hope and stay tuned here for lots of helpful information. Since you are an RN, I'm sure your experience and knowledge would come in useful here.

--Kaylbe

The Following User Says Thank You to Kaylbe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
(female)

tiresome HB User

Hello again. I looked an the SSA site and could not find the RFC form. But I do know that it does exist as I read it on a site. Perhaps this will help your doctor. I found it on another site and it gives a summary of what your doctor needs to include in the letter:

What a "medical functional capacity assessment" describes. This assessment describes an individual medical ability to do work-related activities such as sitting, standing, moving about, lifting, carrying, handling objects, hearing, speaking a mental impairment, the medical assessment will include your ability to reason or make occupational, personal or social adjustments. The medical evidence must be complete enough to allow the Social Security Administration to determine the nature and limiting affects of impairments for any period in question, the probable duration of individual impairments and an individual residual functional capacity to do work-related physical or mental activities. Information from other sources may help an individual to understand how an impairment affects ability to work. Some other sources that may help are: public and private social welfare agencies, observations by non-medical sources and other practitioners such as chiropractors, audiologists, etc. If a family medical doctor writes a letter that an individual is totally and permanently disabled, it will not help one receive benefits that is for Social Security to conclude. The report must contain all of the items covered under what a medical report should include (i.e, history, clinical findings, laboratory findings, diagnosis, treatment, medical assessment). It must be complete. Social Security will use the doctor's reports as evidence to make their determination, but not for its conclusion.

I hope this helps you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tiresome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
(male)

Rob61 HB User

Hello
Just my 2 cents worth.

The form your talking about is a "physical capacity evaluations report"
this form states dexterity range of motion and a disability determination (my form was supplied by my neuro surgen.

The thing with SSDI is Documentation the more you have stating your disability the better, depending on how many Dr's you have gone to my recomendation is to get Copies of ALL reports X-rays. with the documentation it has to state your condition and disability.

Hope this helped

Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob61 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #7
(female)

coffeecup22 HB User

Hi,
Thank you all for the helpful information! I will check out all the areas and follow your advice. I don't know why my doctor needed this since he should have known about it. I believe he may have meant for me to list what would be helpful to put in the letter, in order to help me obtain SSD.
This fibro fog, and the pain medication clouds my comprehension and I may have misunderstood him.
I will check out the ssa site and see where I would fit in with their criteria.
Thanks for the support!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
(male)

Drhanso HB User

Hey, great question. It's simple. Ssdi has a form with a 9-12 questionaire for your treating doc. She can answer the questions, sign and date including her d.e.a. Number. In addition to being easier to fill out then a narrative, this questionnaire asks all of those mandatory questions. In addition, ssdi sends the form to the doc directly. By doing this they know they have all the appropriate contact, info.

If you for some ungodly reason can't get them to send their own questionnaire. A normal physical narrative regarding your condition will do. Keep in min though it isn't you or your doctor, even that makes the decision whether you receive disability. No matter the condition will have to be verified by ssdi doctor or doctors.

A while back(4-5) years ago I saw an episode of the most popular and long running news magazine on t.v.. In it they showed the "deciders" room and on the wall was the phrase "deny,deny,...and hope they die.". It is a long process, or can be. So hang in there and drop me a line if you need any advise.

Closed Thread