It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4
coffeecup22 HB User
Need Help With Letter From Doctor

I am new to the boards.
My doctor stated he would give me a letter for SSD.
He told me that he needs a format in order for SSD
to accept it. In other words I need a sample letter to
follow that, hopefully, is thorough, fully explaining why I cannot
do the same work I have been doing, due to Fibromyalgia,
Osteoarthritis, Depression, Brain Fog, Carpal Tunnel, Chronic
Pain, ect.
Is there a site that would give me a sample letter to follow?
I am a 60 year old nurse in critical care and cannot even follow
orders or administer medications due to lack of concentration
and lack of critical thinking, not to mention the pain.
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 455
bbybyrd HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

I didn't know there was a set letter for the doctors to fill out. Not to be ignorant or anything like that, but shouldn't your doctor already know this information? You might try looking on the Social Security website I think it's

The Following User Says Thank You to bbybyrd For This Useful Post:
Hurtin4Certain (02-07-2012)
Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 167
tiresome HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Hello, I believe what you are looking for is a RFC form. It stands for "Residual Functional Capacity Form" I believe you can requst this on the site as they have several forms that you can request.
This will make sure that your doctor puts all the necessary information in the letter and give him/her a summary of what is needed. Good luck to you!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tiresome For This Useful Post:
Hurtin4Certain (02-07-2012)
Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 151
Kaylbe HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

There are no form letters available that I know of which would fit the criteria you have outlined. SS does not require any special format (as your doctor implied.) I'm sure your doctor must be familiar enough with SS and/or private disability carriers to know how to outline the required history/disease progression.

One hint: SS is not so much concerned with what is wrong with you as they are with what you can still do despite your condition(s). Therefore your doctor will want to be sure to include as much information as possible regarding your residual functioning capacity; how much can you lift, push, pull, carry, how long can you stand, walk, sit, etc. These type of details, in addition to your diagnosis, are what is needed in order to approve your claim.

One thing you can do to help: check the SS Listing of Impairments (Blue Book) and provide your physician with the pages that deal with your particular condition(s). This will let the doctor know what information will need to be submitted in order for you to qualify under a listed impairment. If you meet the criteria for a listed impairment, it's a bit easier to be awarded benefits. If you don't, all is not lost. Your disability must still be evaluated and a determination made. If you have more than one impairment, yet none are severe in their own right, they must consider how all of the conditions affect you in combination.

Hope this helps. I know it must be devastating to realize and acknowledge that you can no longer meet the demands of your job. Don't lose hope and stay tuned here for lots of helpful information. Since you are an RN, I'm sure your experience and knowledge would come in useful here.


The Following User Says Thank You to Kaylbe For This Useful Post:
Hurtin4Certain (02-07-2012)
Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 167
tiresome HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Hello again. I looked an the SSA site and could not find the RFC form. But I do know that it does exist as I read it on a site. Perhaps this will help your doctor. I found it on another site and it gives a summary of what your doctor needs to include in the letter:

What a "medical functional capacity assessment" describes. This assessment describes an individual medical ability to do work-related activities such as sitting, standing, moving about, lifting, carrying, handling objects, hearing, speaking a mental impairment, the medical assessment will include your ability to reason or make occupational, personal or social adjustments. The medical evidence must be complete enough to allow the Social Security Administration to determine the nature and limiting affects of impairments for any period in question, the probable duration of individual impairments and an individual residual functional capacity to do work-related physical or mental activities. Information from other sources may help an individual to understand how an impairment affects ability to work. Some other sources that may help are: public and private social welfare agencies, observations by non-medical sources and other practitioners such as chiropractors, audiologists, etc. If a family medical doctor writes a letter that an individual is totally and permanently disabled, it will not help one receive benefits that is for Social Security to conclude. The report must contain all of the items covered under what a medical report should include (i.e, history, clinical findings, laboratory findings, diagnosis, treatment, medical assessment). It must be complete. Social Security will use the doctor's reports as evidence to make their determination, but not for its conclusion.

I hope this helps you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tiresome For This Useful Post:
Hurtin4Certain (02-07-2012)
Old 03-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MO
Posts: 171
Rob61 HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Just my 2 cents worth.

The form your talking about is a "physical capacity evaluations report"
this form states dexterity range of motion and a disability determination (my form was supplied by my neuro surgen.

The thing with SSDI is Documentation the more you have stating your disability the better, depending on how many Dr's you have gone to my recomendation is to get Copies of ALL reports X-rays. with the documentation it has to state your condition and disability.

Hope this helped


The Following User Says Thank You to Rob61 For This Useful Post:
Hurtin4Certain (02-07-2012)
Old 03-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #7
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4
coffeecup22 HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Thank you all for the helpful information! I will check out all the areas and follow your advice. I don't know why my doctor needed this since he should have known about it. I believe he may have meant for me to list what would be helpful to put in the letter, in order to help me obtain SSD.
This fibro fog, and the pain medication clouds my comprehension and I may have misunderstood him.
I will check out the ssa site and see where I would fit in with their criteria.
Thanks for the support!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Paul mn.
Posts: 1
Drhanso HB User
Re: Need Help With Letter From Doctor

Hey, great question. It's simple. Ssdi has a form with a 9-12 questionaire for your treating doc. She can answer the questions, sign and date including her d.e.a. Number. In addition to being easier to fill out then a narrative, this questionnaire asks all of those mandatory questions. In addition, ssdi sends the form to the doc directly. By doing this they know they have all the appropriate contact, info.

If you for some ungodly reason can't get them to send their own questionnaire. A normal physical narrative regarding your condition will do. Keep in min though it isn't you or your doctor, even that makes the decision whether you receive disability. No matter the condition will have to be verified by ssdi doctor or doctors.

A while back(4-5) years ago I saw an episode of the most popular and long running news magazine on t.v.. In it they showed the "deciders" room and on the wall was the phrase "deny,deny,...and hope they die.". It is a long process, or can be. So hang in there and drop me a line if you need any advise.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
My doctor is cutting ties after 7 years of pain management. I need advice ASAP! spoonmanx Pain Management 25 05-01-2010 03:40 AM
Help/Advice neededASAP -Fentanyl detox, pain pat. abused meds will need meds in futre Confused089 Abuse Support 34 07-06-2008 05:33 PM
Need Advice on my father-refuses to see a doctor lisa10s Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 5 09-10-2006 06:26 PM
need advice babygurl1010 Addiction & Recovery 12 03-17-2006 04:39 PM
Forteo Users - Need Advice taape Osteoporosis 19 05-20-2005 07:42 PM
Need to file for SSD kab031550 Disabilities 5 06-24-2004 05:34 AM
Need 'How To's' for doctor shopping, please (& an update) Peeps Thyroid Disorders 10 03-22-2004 04:34 PM
Need someone to understand how I feel! Lisa T Epilepsy 12 04-14-2003 04:29 PM
Just need to vent a little GolferRob Back Problems 6 12-12-2002 05:15 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2016 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!