It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

BINKY50 HB User
Cervical Spondylosis - Making A Living?

Hello,

My closest friend has been diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis effecting from C1 to C7. The doctors don't give her much hope and she's been living with the pain.

She wonders if there are ANY types of jobs out there that she would be able to do with this disability. She doesn't think she will get permanent SSDI and not being to work or be productive has left her fighting depression.

Does any one out there have any ideas for her?

Thanks for your help. Bless you.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Re: Cervical Spondylosis - Making A Living?

I am on ssi disability, 2 back surgeries failed cervical fusion and nerve damage among other things. I too would love to find some way to work! But I can't sit, stand for any length of time. The depression is a big part of chronic pain. Loneliness takes over and isolation. If your friend can work at all more power to her. The worst thing is when your cut off from the old life, especially at a young age. I got hit with the whole gammit, no family, friends nearby, due to a move, now starting over and not able to do much, totally alone. Maybe she can do some work from home? mailers, tele stuff? part time somewhere? If you find some answers let me know? Right now I would just love to have a friend, just someone to talk to besides my dog.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

She may not qualify for ssdi but possibly ssd?She really should make an attempt at trying for ssd.marcia

Old 07-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

mink HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal
I am on ssi disability, 2 back surgeries failed cervical fusion and nerve damage among other things. I too would love to find some way to work! But I can't sit, stand for any length of time. The depression is a big part of chronic pain. Loneliness takes over and isolation. If your friend can work at all more power to her. The worst thing is when your cut off from the old life, especially at a young age. I got hit with the whole gammit, no family, friends nearby, due to a move, now starting over and not able to do much, totally alone. Maybe she can do some work from home? mailers, tele stuff? part time somewhere? If you find some answers let me know? Right now I would just love to have a friend, just someone to talk to besides my dog.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

mink HB User

Hi Cardinal, I know I made a mistake LOL didnt mean to hit the Quote button am a sorta newbie....not sure if my mistake will even show LOL---- sorry, but I wanted to let you know Im getting where you are already only thing is I do have family an friends close by but I dont let them know about my aches an pains an dont want to bother them with it all. And no I dont do the pity thing well, I keep everything to myself I do get support from these boards isnt it weird we can talk to strangers easier than family? I guess I am more mad at myself for not paying attention to my body when it was clearly telling something was seriously wrong but I was worried about the almighty dollar to pay bills, raise my kids an help with the finiancial strain my hubby an I were dealing with at the time we always had the you know .....2 ahead 4 behind thing going on. Cardinal where are you from? Im from Canada an am always interested in other places in the world. We never travelled anywhere except up North to our property with a 40 FT trailer on it. We dont go as often as we use to cause the drive really hurts my back. Do you have any hobbies that you do? I like to read crime books an mysteries. Both my kids have married an moved out, they were married a year apart of each other. Well have to get up an move around now so keep your chin up an be as pain free as possible. Marlene

Old 07-31-2005, 07:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Hi Marlene! thanks for sharing!! I've always been "head strong" and ambitious. Did it all, sports, travel etc. Sold 5 homes on my own in 15yrs. Now I am doing it again, lol. Yep, not fitting in here South. I am a northerner, going back near the little bit of family left, NE. House is on the market and think it maybe sold? 1st day, I am good at fixin up places and selling high, good eye for areas to buy and profit. Hey mabye I can be like Trump... Just not much strength left in me to pack and make this move, but I gotta do it. My hobbies have been hiring people to fix my place up to the way I like it, good ideas and now it increased the value about 60k in a yr. It's amazing the "little" things you can do that will increase value, so many people don't realize that! Anyway have my rheumy appt tomorrow, long drive but getting a hotel to break up the long day of driving. My arthritis stuff and vasculitis stuff is not good, circulation cuts off in my extremeties, mostly feet. Probably get more drugs to try? I just pray I am making the right decision? atleast I will have some family near by, my son, not much help from him...he likes to "take" more than give. But being here so away from anything it makes sense. This will be my last move. If you get a chance to travel do it! there are so many neat places to go and not expensive. I did the Dominican Rep alone a couple yrs back,even in pain, and had a great time. Did an all inclusive, no worries, food and all incl. It helps to get diversions from our pain, a change of scenery does wonders!! A friend came up here last Mem day wk end, I rented a pontoon boat on the nearby lake here. It was so much fun, I actually didn;t think about my pain for a few hours!!! There are things we can still do, relaxfull and fun. Good luck

Closed Thread