It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
(male)

beegie HB User
Smile Doea anybody knows how long it takes to get a decision at the reconsideration stage

Hi,

I wanted ask anybody how long does it take to get a decision of SSDI/SSI on the reconsideration stages. and how can you improve your chances to get approved for SSI/SSDI benefits for reconsideration to hearing stages.

Thanks

Beegie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Doea naybody knows how long it takes to get a decision at the reconsideration stage

I know that you can get rather impatient while waiting to hear something on your case(been there done that)but didn't you already ask this particular question just recently??you need to try and focus on other things, really or you are going to drive yourself totally crazy,been there too.I know the wait is a killer,but you are going to just have to try and be patient.I am not slamming you, just concerned about your mental health here.is there something(hobby?) or a good book? that you can dive into during the day when you start to think too hard about all this?i soo know how you feel here really, but honestly, you are not doing yourself any favors by dwelling.There really is not much else you can do to try and speed things up,unfortunetly all of this just takes alot of time to get through.about the only thing you could do would be to just keep updating things if there are any changes in your condition and you have been treated.Send them any updated medical records or test results.

Other than that all you can do is try to be patient(easier said than done when the bills are piling up over your flippin head,i know)and try to focus your attention to other things when you feel yourself really thinking about this wayy too much.hopefully you will hear soon.I am keepin my fingers crossed for ya Beeg.marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
(female)

76Owls HB User
Re: Doea naybody knows how long it takes to get a decision at the reconsideration stage

Hey sweetie ~
You really should try to get a grip on things. Things can and will get better...if you have done all that is expected of you...and if you really have a legitimate case. Don't get upset cuz I just said that. I just don't think that anyone on here can promise you with 100% assurance that you will be approved for disability. Nobody can. So that is why you must come to that realization yourself.
But I do know that plenty of others have migraines. My daughter does. I know how extremely, horribly painful they are. They can lay her flat for a week. You have to show the US government that you have been to doctors regarding your migraines, and that you had to have many tests run for them, and many prescriptions.You have to have all the necessary medical documents to prove to the government that you are disabled by them, in order to get SSI.
Same with the back issues. Believe me, I know about the back issues. What are your specific problems with your back? So far, all I can tell is that your back hurts? Do you have the correct documents, pharmacy reports showing all your medication you have to take for your back ailments, as well as, plenty of tests, exams, x-rays, MRIs, bone scans, EMGs, and any other medical test results to show the United states government that you are really disabled cuz your back hurts?
Same with your skin problems. My precious grandson has severe eczema, so I also know how miserable that can make you feel. But then again, it's the government that you have to convince, not me. You must prove to them, by showing them documents from doctors, or giving the dates you saw the doctors, plus the names, addresses and phone numbers of the doctors you saw for your skin condition that keeps you from being able to work. You must prove this case to them with 100% accuracy, if you want to win.

If you have done this on each of the issues that you say keep you from being able to work, then you have done what is required of you. There is nothing else that you can do but W.A.I.T.
Waiting is the hard part. Be patient. Try to read a book, like some of the other people have suggested. What will it hurt?
And hopefully you can wait with patience. There isn't anything that anybody else can tell you, except good luck! It seems that any further questions you have should be directed to your lawyer.
Maybe you could use this time to make sure you have sent the Soc. Sec. people absolutely ALL of the documents that you have. Make sure you listed every single name of EVERY doctor you attended...even if that doctor only referred you on to another doctor. This could be the time to go back and "make sure you have crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's", so to speak. Then, just on the off chance that it is denied again, and you have to fight it some more...you will already be prepared. You will already have some new information to present to the Soc. Sec. office.
I'm glad that you were able to get financial aid though. And that you were able to get on food stamps too. At least that should bring some sense of relief to you. I know it is really hard right now for you, but you certainly aren't the only person going through this process. Just know that you are not alone. There are plenty of others in your same shoes...some might even have it worse. Maybe they weren't approved for food stamps or given free medical aid. Please be grateful for that. Apparently you have a house to live in and an internet to communicate on. Be grateful for the things you do have. It's much more "fun" to try to focus on the positive, rather than the negative...especially when the "negative" is something that you have absolutely no control over (the slowness of your appeal from the US government). Don't waste your time worrying over something you can't control. It will eat you alive! And that will only add to your list of medical ailments. I'm sorry it takes time...and I do hope and pray that things turn out well for you. God bless you!

Last edited by 76Owls; 08-16-2005 at 12:06 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
(male)

beegie HB User

Hi, thanks for reply.

I am consistening being pressure by family members to get a job knowing i have alot health problems. they don't understand it takes a long process and to be patient and fight with help with attorney and they don't listening.

i consisted been ask by mother by disability. what should tell her i have already told her that i have done everything posssible as I can so stop asking me about it everday. It making things worse.

Beegie

Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #5
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

Hi Beegie,
I am sorry that your family is not being supportive. I know how important that is (to feel like family members understand all that you are going through and are sympathetic to your plight). Just hang in there! You do not have to "prove" anything to your family. I hope you will be able to get peace of mind sooner rather than later. Please try to keep your anxiety at a minimum. I know that is hard, but take deep breaths if need be, and maybe take a walk if you are able! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way! Good luck!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
(female)

BSBGeezerFan HB User
Re: Doea naybody knows how long it takes to get a decision at the reconsideration st

Hi, I don't know beacause we are at an earlier stage in the process. We are going for SSI. My son who is now 21 has had the same intractable migraine since the age of 14. It took him until this year to complete high school (online) because of the inability to concentrate from the constant pain. He also has parasthesia and the only thing that seems to help that is cold, moving air. I didn't want to have him apply for anything because it seemed to be admitting defeat but as he said, "Mom, you're nuts, money is money."

We have registered with Vocational Rehabilitation because I figured the more people you can get ahead of time to recognize your disability, the better and we have a medical history as long as your arm as he has been under constant treatment from just about every neurologist in the area and finally UNC Chapel Hill and now Duke University Pain Clinic.

We got our initial turn down for SSDI (he's never been able to work, shoot, leaving the house is a logistical nightmare because wherever he goes needs to be heavily air conditioned) and they told us it would be several months before we get a ruling from SSI. They said if we get an okay, he would almost automatically get Medicaid from North Carolina (which is really what we need as his stepmother's insurance terminates when he is 22, I'm almost sure).

Old 06-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
(female)

happygirl440 HB User
Re: Doea anybody knows how long it takes to get a decision at the reconsideration st

Hi,
My appeal at that stage took five and a half months.
Good Luck!
Cindy

Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
(female)

robink1954 HB User
Re: Doea anybody knows how long it takes to get a decision at the reconsideration st

Hi Beegie,

I so feel your pain as far as family goes. "Getting a grip" is much easier said than done, isn't it?
I'm not going to dwell on my issues here, but just enough to let you know that you are not alone...ok???

My husband divorced me because of my physical/mental problems. I have a brother and sister who don't give a damn, they just think I'm lazy and worthless. I have a son who doesn't even keep in touch with me.

I have my daughter and son in law who have been supportive "most" of the time. I was staying with them and my son in law decided I could work and got sick of me being there, I guess. Anyway I was thrown out...yup out on the street. Most horrifying thing that has ever happened to me!! It happened in a town where I knew no one and did not know the town. I drove around for 6 hours with my two dogs in the car. I called my 88 year old father for help in another town and that is where I am now as I wait.
My kids and I worked it out and they were sorry. I'm glad for that, but the experience was terrifying.

Anyway, I know what it's like to not be believed!! Some days are impossible to get through.
I take it hour by hour a lot of the time. I try to get lost in a movie and that helps me. Find what helps you!! Find a way to give your mind a break. This disability process has the ability to destroy you.

I am waiting now for my decision in the mail. It's hell!!! I think of what I will do if I am denied again and it makes me sick both mentally and physically.

Please let me know how you are doing!!!
God Bless

Robin

Closed Thread