It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
I just went to the SSA Website...

And I find that under "Disability Programs" the criteria for neurological conditions was revised in December 2004. I looked up my specirfic condition and I'm beginning to think I may just have a chance of being approved.

(cross my fingers, knock on wood)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

angel1 HB User
Re: I just went to the SSA Website...

Hi Lisa!
I wish you all the luck for a favorable decision. Just please be careful of your emotions, Just because your specific condition is listed and you feel you meet the criteria, does not necessarily mean an automatic approval, You will have to have Medical evidence that supports your condition,Mri, x-rays etc... It's not enough just to have "it" and your doctor "says" you have it the medical evidence needs to support it.
I have Severe Peripheral neuropathy bilaterally,Degenerative disk disease,carpal tunnel syndrome both hands,severe depression and anxiety, the list of medications that I am taking is very long so I wont go into that, lumbar and cervical spondyolosis,(and those are just the major ones) I have had 5 surgeries in a 14 month span, I have not been able to walk without SEVERE pain in almost 2 years, actually played with the ideas of suicide, had tons of medical evidence to support my claim,and extremely supportive testimony from ALL of my doctors and I was denied twice ((with all the evidence)) I had my ALJ Hearing after 31 months of fighting with SS and finally got a fully favorable OTR (on the record) decision on 8/26/05, my initial application was filed on 01/09/03. I am waiting now on my letter of approval and my benefits to start kicking in!!! I in no way wish to "bring you down" but I just needed to tell you that you may be in for a long haul. I sincerely wish you the very best! I don't know anything about you so I am not sure of where you are with your journey down SS road.
Hugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I realize that only 40% of applicants get approved-- even those with really obvious disabilities. I really don't understand how "they" decide who is "disabled" and who is not. I was just encouraged to see that the criteria has changed so, hopefully, they look more closely at neuro cases...

Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

Lisa, you can even have more than one listing on the SSA site but still be denied. The thing to keep in mind is that although you may have 1 or even 10 of those conditions that SSA views as disabling, you still have to prove that you cannot work because of that disability. That is the hardest part. Age automatically works against you if you're considered young (18-44). I've even read in several other forums that the real 'magic' age is over 50.

There is always that chance that you will be approved on the first app, but most veterans of the system can tell you about the battles they've had. We're in your corner, however. The system is inconsistent, to say the least. I really have my own opinions about how corrupt they are and am wondering if there is any way I might be able to file a complaint on my husband's behalf so that they can either file it, or open their eyes...Of course I think I'd be added to the millions of other complaints I'm sure the silly system is subjected to.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
(male)

Purplebill HB User

Actually it is incorrect to say that "although you may have 1 or even 10 of those conditions that SSA views as disabling, you still have to prove that you cannot work because of that disability". If you meet or equal the Listing of Impairment then the 5 step sequential analysis stops at step 3 and an award of benefits is made without consideration as to ability to work.

The ability to work only comes into consideration in the claimant does not meet or equal a Listing. Only then does SSA look at vocational considerations such as age, education, exertional ability, past relevant work, transferability of skills, etc. and a determination is made at step 5 of the analysis as to whether the claimant is able to work or not.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

Then the whole system is incorrect. There are more than a few people on this site that have multiple listings as listed by SSA and still have to go above stage 3. So, it really looks good on paper on the site but let's be realistic. That is not the way it happens.

You can talk technicalities all you want but first hand experience is what is more realistic. Must be that SSA has their own explanation for the individual listings and when someone shows that they have an appropriate dx as listed by SSA, it must mean something totally different, huh?

I apologize for sounding a bit bitter but every forum you look at says something different about this same question. I think people here are looking more for realistic possibilities-not the pretty picture SSA paints on paper.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
(male)

Purplebill HB User

It is unfortunate that many folks do not understand the "system" and how it works. It is not enough to have a diagnosis that is a Listed Impairment. Each Listing has certain qualifications that must be met in order to "meet" or "equal" that Listing. And I am not talking "technicalities". I am talking about the law and how it is applied in respect to SSDI/SSI cases.

This is another very valid reason why most folks will benefit greatly by obtaining the services of a competent attorney who specializes in SSA disabiltiy law. It can become quite complicated at times but the Listings themselves are not unintelligible. Unfortunately there are a lot of misconceptions about Social Security law floating around the internet. Which is why you should not take my word for it, get your own attorney and verify the information that you have found.

As to first hand experience, I have represented hundreds upon hundreds of claimants over the last 25+ years and the vast majority are quite happy with their outcomes. I am certainly not an apologist for SSA however not understanding the process does not mean that the system is incorrect, corrupt or (insert other pejorative verbiage here).

Closed Thread