It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #1

girard HB User
Does own/registering Car effect your SSDI/review?

My dad is adamant about me taking this used car he found. He said perhaps someday I could just drive around in our small town. He says he will not be around forever and that makes sense sadly in a way. I was curious though, I have not driven since 1995 as I had had too many accidents and confused on traffice lights with my MS. Now that I register I vehicle again even if it just sits in storage, will that effect my SSDI or review for next year?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

BobiM HB User
Re: Does own/registering Car effect your SSDI/review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girard
Now that I register I vehicle again even if it just sits in storage, will that effect my SSDI or review for next year?
I know many people on SSDI and or SSI who own cars. I can't see how that would hurt your case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

Many people are disabled and own cars....some are designed specifically for the disabled persons condition. We have 3 cars, a truck and RV and my name is on all of them and I am on SSDI.
So the answer simply is it will not effect your SSDI...

Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

I wonder why it should? There is nothing in the SS booklet that says you cannot? "Disability" insurance is not like Welfare where there are "restrictions" on what you can "OWN".

I am on Social Security Disability Insurance(SSDI), own my own house (several homes actually), own 3 cars, the whole nine yards.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

BobiM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine
I wonder why it should? "Disability" insurance is not like Welfare where there are "restrictions" on what you can "OWN".

I.

In the state of PA you can even own one vehicle while on welfare.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobiM
In the state of PA you can even own one vehicle while on welfare.
In NJ also but, they are slick. They take posession of your "car title" while you are on Welfare under their "General Assistance" program which is for one year. After that period, they will return your car title.
General Assistance program is Welfare for people w/no children.
If you collect Supplemental Disability, NJ keeps your car & part of your Supplemental Disability $$$$ as part of their reimbursement for the monies they paid you for the one year of being on General Assistance.

A good attorney can get you your car & title back.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #7

girard HB User

Thanks for replies. I was concerned that would see I had title to car and license and say that is improvement to condition. I remember last review the lady was really wierd, mentioned something in file about an improvement to symptom which confused me as I have like 3 dozen and was getting ready go into surgery next day. Turn out improvement was that I gained 5lbs but doctor later said it was water weight stabilizing. They seem to latch on to wierdest things looking for any excuse drop you, so I thought ask.

Closed Thread