It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User
Just filed for disability and have questions

I just filed for disability, and have questions. I am bipolar, and have two herniated disks in lower lumbar(which I was told I should have surgery, but it might not help, so I haven't) I have Graves which has caused me to have thyroid eye diesease(which has required me to have radiation on my eyes due to double vision) I was told it may work(80% chance it will, just finished it, but still have double vision) I also have been on steriods that has caused me to develope diabetes, and made me as fat as a cow(lordy I am way over weight now) Anyway, with all this it's a wonder I get out of bed. Anyway, I am wondering after you fill out the app and then send them the doctors release forms what happens from there? I don't know if I should hire an attorney or if I should wait. I read that there are certain disabilitys that SS lists and I can't seem to find that list anyone know where I might find this list?

Old 06-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
(female)

countrykid HB User
Re: Just filed for disability and have questions

You can find many answers to your questions on the Social Security website
[url]www.ssa.gov[/url]
The list on the conditions are there. Now your conditions may fall into a couple of catergories. They will probably go for the one that is the most depilating. Or may consider them all as a factor.
You are going to be sent some paper work to fill out. They will tell you when your appointment will be for the interview. That can be done over the phone or in your local SS office.
When you fill out these forms and they ask you how your condition affects your ability tell them how it is on one of your really bad days. Make sure you always answer their questions even in your interview on how you feel on the your oneof your worse days. If you can't function in full capacity on any day then that is how you should be letting them know you are on all days.
It really is frustrating that we have to make it look like we are completely unable to do anything anyday but that is how the system works. If they feel you can do anything they will try and deny you.
You will get another form for a person close to you to fill out regarding your condition. I would give that to the person that sees you in your worst of days husband, mother, daughter, etc.
I don't want to imply to lie but make sure that you show how the condition has changed your ability to work and function.
You may get denied 1st time. Alot of people are denied. That's when I would suggest you get an attorney that does only SSDI cases and nothing else.

Set up for direct deposit it makes it so much easier.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

FF_WIFE HB User
Talking Re: Just filed for disability and have questions

Hi there... Well first thing first... you should definately get a lawyer... I am talking from personal experience..In my case which I applied in 2003 was denied 2 times then it finally went to court and after 3 years I finally won! Now all cases are different so you might get it on the first time. and i did find some information for you about what conditions they look at here is the site but if you have problems finding it please let me know [url]http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/listing-impairments.htm[/url]
Keep me posted and good luck

Old 06-23-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
(female)

countrykid HB User

If you want to ease your mind about some guestions...you can go see an attorney....the first consult is free...but make sure you go to an attorney that only does SSDI cases, not some attorney that says yea I can do it....You can find a listing for one in your local telephone book...I good attorney will not charge you until you win....they have guidelines set by SS on how and what they charge.
Now I didn't use an attorney...I was one of the fortunate ones approved right away...but now with my husband his first try was a denial...now we have an attorney and he has not charged yet because we are still waiting for the hearing date. He discussed his fee and told us he can't charge us more than a certain amount...and that is only when my husband is approved...if he doesn't get approved ever (we keep our fingers crossed that doesn't happen)then no fee.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

My goodness I don't think that I could wait 3 years for this to go threw! I think I will check into an attorney, I can't even seem to remember anything, I couldn't imagine having to tell them how I feel, I can't remember how to spell my name half the time, how could I tell them I hurt like hell yesterday!LOL I mean I can't even seem to speak the way I should, having words all changed around I don't make since half the time. And reading that is a joke, I don't remember what I just saw four words ago half the time. I get it eventually, but dang it! I wish I didn't have to deal with half this, and now thinking I would have to explain how I feel to someone I don't know would make that worse. I think the attorney is the way to go, they know more about this than I do. I can't beleive we have to go this far to get what we paid in!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
(female)

countrykid HB User

I am sorry that hearing all this has upset you...Then yes I would go see that attorney.....he will be able to help you with your wording since you are having trouble...Now I don't want you to think I am being mean...but you want them to see you at your worse.....they need to know how bad it is for you on a daily basis....I know what you mean about getting things all jubbled up.....meds and living in pain every waking (and sleeping) moment can do that to you.
When I was in excellent health nothing ever seemed to bother me...I was the strong one....but for the last 18 years (first injury) it seems to get worse year by year...and each year something else seems to go wrong with my health. I say "why now...why me"....I think one of the scariest things that ever happened was when I was walking to my car after work(when I was able to work) and I just stopped dead in my tracks...I couldn't move my legs and feet...I was horrified...what was I going to do....the excruciating pain in my legs and back...at first I didn't even let anyone know I couldn't move...I thought ..oh it will pass...finally I guess someone called security....that's when I said enough...I give up I can't fight this anymore...
Sorry to ramble but I wanted you to know you can make it through this process.

Closed Thread