It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
I'm in it for the long haul this time!!

In 2003, I applied for SSDI after months of spotty employment after a bad MS exacerbation. I was "lucky" enough that my mother, who had a stroke that summer, qualified for in-home care that I could provide ten minutes here, an hour there, etc. I'm sarcastic because the lawyer I contacted after my inital rejection said that if I had an income, I very probably had no chance (I know he was right, but I didn't know how long this process takes!!). So I didn't appeal. Well, I no longer live with my mother and therefore no longer provide care for her, I got "fired" for the one part time job I finally got in my new town (I say fired, but it was a matter of my hours being so drastically reduced that I was basically forced to quit). And I haven't worked since.

SO. I reapplied last year after another six months had passed... Social Security told me I had to give a new date of disability since I had not appealed before and the 60 days had passed. So I chose a date from the week my hours were so reduced. Was this the best thing to do? Or should I have fought to re-open the old case?

Closed Thread