It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

jsksldjcnm HB User
Angry Has this happened to anyone else?

Last month I received a fully favorable decision from the ALJ. Now I am just waiting patiently for my award letter.

Yesterday I received a letter from social security telling me that my case is on hold because they need to see my original birth certificate! It states "Our records show you were born on January 8, 1949. However, we need proof of your age for folder documentation." Mind you, they had my birth certificate in their possesssion for several weeks when I first applied. In fact, I had to order another certified copy because we were traveling to Canada and the SSD had my only original.

Is this just another stall tactic? The letter also states (in bold lettering) that if they don't receive the birth certificate within 20 days my benefits will be suspended! What benefits? I haven't received any benefits!

Well, I am sending it to the a$$holes today and now I guess I'l have to get back in line and wait for their next screw-up. It might be time to put a call in to the local congressman or representative and see if they can help the SSA find my paperwork.

I would really like to know if anyone else had to go through this and how much of a delay they think it caused.

Thanks,

Mary

p.s. I wonder how many people have died waiting for money to buy food and medicines. This is one of the most shameful aspects of our country. Sick and dying people made to go YEARS without money they are entitled to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

I am with you Mary. This country that we love makes it impossible for injured people to live. My experience is with WC and a little with SSD. my husband did without anything for 3 years from WC and still after 18 months hasn't gotten a hearing for SSD. He won his WC case but is still entitled to back SSD. they claim they have never heard of him. I am now out on a WC injury that the IC denied. why i have no idea but i guess i'll go through what my husband went through. I get letters from WC telling me i have to sign all these papers while i'm collecting WC. well i haven't seen a dime from them so i have no idea what they're talking about. We are all liars and guilty until proven innocent with these topics. It is so sad what some go through. those that are truly injured and diabled go through hell for years with no money to pay bills or eat. it's a disgrace.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

jsksldjcnm HB User

Update to the above post:

I just called the number on the letter again and a human actually answered the phone. I asked why they needed my birth certificate again. She said when my claim was originally denied the local field office prepared a file to send on to re-consideration. They did not provide a copy of my birth certificate in that file, just noted my age and eligibility as a US citizen. Now they need to see the actual birth certificate again. She said it has not held up my SSDI claim and is only needed by the payment center to determine when my SSDI will end and retirement social security begin. She said my award letter has been written and moved on to the next stage where it will be for a few more days before being mailed. She told me that I am in the second payment cycle which means my check will come on the second Wednesday of the month. Since that day has already passed in July, I will not receive anything until the second Wednesday in August.

I am being granted retro going back one year from the date I first applied. She also confirmed for me that my retroactive $$ will be paid at the same time as my first monthy payment and will be in one lump sum. Someone posted recently that his retro was being divided over three equal payments so I was concerned about that.

So, if the information I just received is correct, I should be done with this three year nightmare in a little over three weeks, which is still a national disgrace!

Good luck to everyone!

Mary

Old 07-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Congratulations Mary-----I am really happy for you. I know what a relief it is to finally have things settled. It is a National disgrace.
Be well

Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

Glad things are working out and this isn't going to cause a delay for you!

Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I'm very glad it's working out for you.
But I'm not surprised someone asked to see a birth certificate again.
I believe we will start having people ask for a birth certificate over and over again, at every drop of a hat, now that the new "prove you are a citizen" laws are in effect.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

I guess that I am glad that the SS office here sent my birth certificate back right away, they sent a letter saying they needed it and enclosed a postage paid envelope for it, I was really worried I wouldn't get it back, as it took me over a month to get it from the state I was born in, and cost a danged fortune. But I was lucky the lady sent it back post hast, and I got it back two days after I sent it in, with a sticky note saying thank you! WoW!!!

Old 08-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Inactive

Torry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB User

I will tell you one story I know of a woman down the street from me.. The woman was denied on reconsideration filed. The daughter received the mail. She was so heartbroken and angry she called the department of decisions makers at SSD to give them a piece of her mind. She said: "You killed her, you idiots! All you took her through killed her!" You see.. Her Mother died the day before from the diease SSD said she could work. They (SSD) do not give a hoot about the disabled, the sufferring, or if you died. In fact ,if you die they are certain they do not have to pay and they have less paper work. Get the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsksldjcnm
Last month I received a fully favorable decision from the ALJ. Now I am just waiting patiently for my award letter.

Yesterday I received a letter from social security telling me that my case is on hold because they need to see my original birth certificate! It states "Our records show you were born on January 8, 1949. However, we need proof of your age for folder documentation." Mind you, they had my birth certificate in their possesssion for several weeks when I first applied. In fact, I had to order another certified copy because we were traveling to Canada and the SSD had my only original.

Is this just another stall tactic? The letter also states (in bold lettering) that if they don't receive the birth certificate within 20 days my benefits will be suspended! What benefits? I haven't received any benefits!

Well, I am sending it to the a$$holes today and now I guess I'l have to get back in line and wait for their next screw-up. It might be time to put a call in to the local congressman or representative and see if they can help the SSA find my paperwork.

I would really like to know if anyone else had to go through this and how much of a delay they think it caused.

Thanks,

Mary

p.s. I wonder how many people have died waiting for money to buy food and medicines. This is one of the most shameful aspects of our country. Sick and dying people made to go YEARS without money they are entitled to.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
(female)

jsksldjcnm HB User

Yes, I get the picture, loud and clear. Turns out the whole thing was one big LIE. It's now past the second Wednesday in August and not only have I not received my money but I never even got the award letter! Time to talk to my local congressional office.

Mary

Closed Thread