It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

Auriebeth HB User
Question.. Help please...

Was wondering if you have to be out of work for a period of time prior to
applying for SSDI .. I work everyday in horrible pain.. come home can
barely do anything else .. I head up to bed before dark.. just to get enough
rest to make it to work the next day.. I have no choice but to work.. I cannot afford to stay home to wait out if there is a waiting period or amount of time that you should be out of work prior to applying.. I would loose my house.. and everything else.. something I just cannot do to my kids.. So I was wondering if you can apply and still work until you are approved.
Thanks for any feedback..
AB

Old 07-28-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Question.. Help please...

Technically you can not be working and apply for SSDI, any involvement in work can be considered "gainful employment" and actually hinder the approval process. There isn't really a waiting period in so much that there is a period of time, 5 months, in which you will not get any payments at all.

Depending on your disability and even where you live can often determine the length time it takes to actually get approved. The more medical documentation the better off your chances are of winning if you have a condition that does in fact warrent SSDI. The only time that approval really is instant is if you are legally blind, other medical conditions must fall under the regular process.

It took me 11 months for approval and my husband 3 months but it is not uncommon for some individuals to wait years before ever being approved.

Most likely the best thing to do in your situation is to see if you qualify for Short Term Disability where you work. Often this is the first step that one must take prior to applying for SSI or SSDI. At least then you'll have some income coming in and it is often much more than what you would actually recieve on SSDI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
(male)

Purplebill HB User

Actually you can be working and apply for SSDI as long as you make less than $860.00 per month (Substantial Gainful Activity).

Old 07-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
(female)

Rosieposie1 HB User

Permanent Disability is very difficult! In my case, I hadn't worked for about a year when I applied for it. When I did apply, the counselor told me that I had 4 or 5 disabling conditions. He also said that the only way I won't get it is if I give up. That was three years ago. Last week was the third part of my hearing...my case is very complicated.

It's very hard to predict what they will do. There are some illnesses or injuries that will be approved immediately. There are people who have less than what I have and six months later they have a check. I haven't received a dime in more than three years. It's really a toss of the coin.

Whatever your decision, make sure you think long and hard. Rosa

Old 07-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

It can take a very long time to get through applying, denials, appeals and hearings. For me it took over 3 years to finally be approved because of my back problems. I had to stop working long before the final hearing, so I can't tell you how working effects your case. But if I can answer any other questions, just let me know

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I hope your situation starts to improve soon.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

is this before taxes? or after? sorry if its a stupid question. but im in the same boat...struggle everyday becuz i have to work ..but thats all my life is consumed by work...it controls my life...i have no quality of life.
and with short term disability i read you get paid, is that all companies? or just some, or from somewhere else. we only get 6 weeks paid sick time at 60%. so if i was off longer would i get anything from anyone else? i was on it at one time but i was in a different postion at work and my policies were better.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Question.. Help please..

I had gone into the SS office last year while I was still working. I had just wanted to know if I could qualify with all my medical problems. They are not the friendliest people around. Just waiting online and seeing their faces scared me. I'm not kidding. I spoke to one woman and she was actually very nice. She said to me that I should not apply while working at all. She said they would not even review my application if I was working. So I didn't do anything. It wasn't until after my back surgery when I realized I could not go back to work that I applied. I was on temp disability for 6 months. When that ended I had to make a decision. I did read you need to be disabled 6 months before applying. You also have to be expected to have the problem and be unable to work 12 months or more. I'm not an expert on it. Just thought that is what I saw.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
(female)

tweiler HB User

I was just approved Wed on my disability. With the exception of extreme minor work under $200 month in the past year, I have not worked since 4/2003. I have fibromyalgia but I think what won my case was I have acute major recurrent depression which began when I was a preteen so I have been dealing with the depression for almost 30 years now.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

so during the time you were off sick you worked?
man thats a long time to wait...did you have a lawyer?

Closed Thread