It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2000, 10:28 PM   #1

kyle4267 HB User
Post Work ideas for a disabled farmer?

Can anyone give me some info on work for the disabled or schooling? How much financial help is out there for people with disabilities for going to school. I have to be inside or where it's warm due to one of my health problems. It's called Raynauds. It effects all my extremities like hands, feet, ears ect. I also have chronic pancreatitis which keeps me in pain alot of days and I'm on alot of pain meds. I've been disabled for almost 3 years now and hope someday I'll be well again to try and get back on my feet again. I'm open for any suggestions. I use to farm and work agriculture. I operated machinery from a bull dozer to a small tractor. I don't have much of an education. I didn't finish high school. I made a pretty good living in agriculture, around 40.000 a year now down to a meer 12.000 a year and I'm divorced with 4 wonderful children who I love and care for very very much. They are what kept me alive thru all of this. 4 years ago I was normal as anyone then all of the sudden BAM! my health started to fail me. The doctors say it could have been the chemicals that I handled all those years but they can't put a finger on which ones. Lucky me huh. Those chemical companies make enough money atleast I could have got a good settlement and live somewhat comfortable. All I have is SS. But don't get me wrong I'm very thankful for that. I've worked very hard all my life. This is the honest truth, I've worked many a day at 18 hours a day. Now I'm reduced to a pile of rubble. I could'nt wip my way out of a wet paper bag now. I could use any advice right now. I am thankful I have food and a warm dry place to sleep. Please, Anyone feel free to reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2000, 11:13 AM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
Hey Kyle,
Fancy meeting you here. I was just cruising the boards (cheaper than cruising the bars) and saw your handle. Here is one web site I found by doing a search on "Iowa financial assistance". It would be a good starting place for you to get some info. There were many more web sites listed so you can check some of them out also if you want.
Take care. [url="http://www.simpson.edu/admissions/financial/financial.html"]http://www.simpson.edu/admissions/financial/financial.html[/url]

Old 12-19-2000, 02:58 PM   #3
(female)

blackbelt HB User
Check the library for financial assistance (like scholarships, etc.) Also, check out colleges in your area for support that they provide for students with disabilities. Maybe their will be indoor opportunities( like planning ideas, etc.) for a job at major farms. Remember,you don't know what is out there unless you try. I have a friend who started out as a cashier at a grocery store, and worked his way up to assistant manager. Remember to keep your options open.

Hope it helps.

Old 02-19-2001, 04:58 PM   #4

kathryn2 HB User
I don't have any financial advice for you. I can tell you that you are not alone. I had it all and my health was GONE just like that also. It's a major shock. Every night when I get into bed I thank God for a roof over my head and a clean bed to get into. Weather I have alot or a little I know I must not worry and learn to be content. Hard I know but you can do it. You never know what will happen good for you tomorrow. God bless. Kahtryn2

Old 04-22-2001, 11:11 PM   #5

Patty1111 HB User
OVR= ocupational vocational rehabilitation is a government funded organization who will evaluate you, your disability, and your skills. Then they will help you with schooling, and or training. All free of charge. Should be listed in the government pages of your phone book. If Not try asking at the ss office or maybe public assistance office.
Best wishes, Patty

Old 05-09-2001, 05:14 AM   #6
Inactive

Lory HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by kyleheckenberg:
Can anyone give me some info on work for the disabled or schooling? How much financial help is out there for people with disabilities for going to school. I have to be inside or where it's warm due to one of my health problems. It's called Raynauds. It effects all my extremities like hands, feet, ears ect. I also have chronic pancreatitis which keeps me in pain alot of days and I'm on alot of pain meds. I've been disabled for almost 3 years now and hope someday I'll be well again to try and get back on my feet again. I'm open for any suggestions. I use to farm and work agriculture. I operated machinery from a bull dozer to a small tractor. I don't have much of an education. I didn't finish high school. I made a pretty good living in agriculture, around 40.000 a year now down to a meer 12.000 a year and I'm divorced with 4 wonderful children who I love and care for very very much. They are what kept me alive thru all of this. 4 years ago I was normal as anyone then all of the sudden BAM! my health started to fail me. The doctors say it could have been the chemicals that I handled all those years but they can't put a finger on which ones. Lucky me huh. Those chemical companies make enough money atleast I could have got a good settlement and live somewhat comfortable. All I have is SS. But don't get me wrong I'm very thankful for that. I've worked very hard all my life. This is the honest truth, I've worked many a day at 18 hours a day. Now I'm reduced to a pile of rubble. I could'nt wip my way out of a wet paper bag now. I could use any advice right now. I am thankful I have food and a warm dry place to sleep. Please, Anyone feel free to reply.
I was just cruising the boards, and ran into this one. As a former aggie myself, though I didn't get a degree, I know that the Extension Service could probably find you some help. They are a much under-utilized government service. Also, consider introducing yourself to the local school, they may appreciate a speaker -- I speak before groups about Parkinson's and can't believe how often I'm called. Sometime I make $20/hour, and talk for an hour, sometimes I do it for free, if folks cna't pay. Even elementary shcool, where you'd be indoors,would probalby love to have you as a speaker. I find that if I feel useful, if my knowledge can get out t others, that I can go to bed at night feeling better aobut the world in general. Lory

Closed Thread