It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2001, 12:42 PM   #1

sweetwawa HB User
Exclamation a friend til the end?

i hope this is what i'll be to this man w/epilepsy.
well,i don't understand.
those of you out there with this disease,please help me.
my friend is 55 w/this condition and says he is not disabled enough to receive benefits for social security.
he says he's worked for 10 plus years as a handyman/carpenter.
duz this effect that possibility now then?this was when he was in his 30's-40's and after/b4 for periods....but i don't see why he is not eligible now if he is not capable.
is he just not telling me?
i've known him 2 yrs.
he says he wants to work.
but if the meds for his condition warrant otherwise,then?

------------------
save facehave
grace;find hope;
keep faith; end war..

Old 11-11-2001, 04:26 AM   #2

newkid in pain HB User
Angry

Hello, I can relate to what you have said I myself have spent 5yrs fighting with social security. I have TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). I have had several doctors tell me I will never be able to work again due to the pain. Also, I take several powerful drugs such as:

Mscontin 120mg daily (morophine)
Dilaudid 64mg daily (close to methadone)
Motrin 800mg 4 times daily
topamax 50mg daily
effexor 300mg daily
klonopin 1mg daily
flonaise 1spray daily

All these meds cause drowsiness and effect motor skills.
BUT, The government says I can work. That I do not qualify for benefits. Can you believe this. My doctor says eventually I will have to have a visiting nurse come to my house and administer these drugs through IV and social security still says go to work. So I am one that can relate. SORRY!!!! S.S. is a piece of ....! I have no faith in them.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2001, 06:16 AM   #3

Lisobis HB User
SSI sucks. I have been fighting them for 3 years. I have failed back surgery syndrome, arachnoiditis, carpal tunnel, tarsal tunnel, compressed ulnar nerve syndrome, peripheral neuropathy and Ehler's-Danlos Syndrome (my joints are so loose they dislocate all on their own--without injuries--and I have one joint that is now permanently sublexed, which is like halfway dislocating; I take 31 pills a day and am waiting for my electric wheelchair to arrive--and I am ni so much pain it is overwhelming--but social security says I can go to work, even though I can't do what I used to (dancer), not even menial waitressing, cocktail waitressing, and bartending jobs like I used to. I can't sit over an hour at a time, and I can't stand for more than ten minutes. What kind of job will all this make me eligible for? I have a BA in English Literature, and there's no way I am physically able to teach high school English! But, hey, even one of my physicians, who I rarely see, thinks I should go to work (as if I don't WANT TO?!?)--and his notations in my medical records are probably helping SSI make their decision.

I am a broken cog in the wheel, as it sounds like your friend is. My cousin is an epileptic, as is my neice, and their experiences with the disorder are as different as night and day. My cousin is okay to work, as the medications controil her seizures well, and she is even able to hold a driver's license. <MY neice is like a zombie, has been moved to special ed classes, and has such uncontrollable seizures while even on so much medication that she's doped to the gills that she spends twice as much tim ein the hospital for the sezures than she does at home.

I've no doubt that your friend would prefer to be out there in the work force, making a ducet or two, rather than stuck living as he does. Be patient with your friend, his is not an easy row to hoe. Just offer him the emotional support that only a friend can provide--give him your ear, rather than your advice. He'll appreciate it more than gold.

Old 11-11-2001, 06:30 AM   #4

sweetwawa HB User
thanks all.

i feel much more sympatico now.

god speed

------------------
save facehave
grace;find hope;
keep faith; end war..

Old 11-17-2001, 08:09 PM   #5

sweetwawa HB User
i am so glad you all had a chance to share on this.

thanks again.

Closed Thread