It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2002, 09:33 PM   #1

shooshoo HB User
Unhappy social security disability

hello! i just posted a long note under arthritis about my frustration and difficulties with trying to get approved for ssd-i am almost 53 years old(may 31st), if any of you have the time to read my post and give any feedback to help out-would greatly appreciate it! can't type for too long as my hands don't work so well. thanks for listening!!

Old 05-18-2002, 11:07 AM   #2

Korben HB User
Exclamation

Greetings!
Getting approved for SSDI can be an aggravating process. Most of the people that apply are rejected, the first time through. It's important not to lose hope!
Here are a couple of tips that might make a difference for you. This is what got me through:
1. Be thorough. List everything they ask for, and then some. Make sure that all of your doctors, all of your tests, and all of your medications are listed.
2. When you are interviewed, be as articulate as you can be, but remember to focus on your disability. Don't be whiny or waste time on complaining, but be specific in describing what you can't do anymore, and how you need assistance with the ADLs (activities of daily living, like brushing your teeth or hair, etc.). Don't talk about what you can do, despite your disability; it doesn't help your case.
3. Be specific in describing why you can't work. Focus on important parts of your job that you are incapable of doing, without help. Tell them why modifications and accomodations haven't worked. Why can't you do some other job that your employer might offer? Be sure you can answer these questions.
4. Follow up on your doctors. Many people get refused simply because their doctors didn't send their records quickly enough. Tell your doctor that you're applying for SSDI, and request their support. When SSDI tells you that they will be requesting data from the doctors, call the doc's office and let them know what's happening, and ask them when the material will be sent. Make sure it happens.
5. Get to know your person at Social Security. Find out who you're supposed to call for assistance and questions, and call them. Call them once every week or two, and follow up on the status of your application, and ask what you need to do to help get things in. Be gracious, not frantic. Never get grumpy: you want that person on your side! Please and thank you are important.
I hope this is helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread