It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

winnie11400 HB User
Question how does it work when a child an a parent both are receiving ssi

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW IT WORKS WHEN A CHILD AN A PARENT BOTH RECEIVE SSI. (I WAS APPROVED ALSO FOR SSI) HOW DOES THE INCOME LEVELS WORK FOR SSI. I AM A MOTHER OF 2 CHILDREN MY HUSBAND IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN WORK. MY SON HAS BEEN RECEIVING SSI FOR 6 YEARS NOW. HE IS ADHD, HAS DEPRESSION AN PANIC DISORDER. MY HUSBAND DOES NOT MAKE THAT MUCH AMONTH HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE PAYING THEIR BILLS. HOUSE, CAR INSURANCE, OIL, CABLE, PHONE, WATER, SEWER, TRASH, CARPAYMENT, FOOD. CLOTHES, GAS, CAR EXPENSIVES,THINGS IN THE HOUSE TO BE FIXED, HOSPITAL BILLS I HAVE OVER 4,000 WORTH OF MEDICAL BILLS AN NEED MORE SURGERY BUT SCARED TO GO BACK TO THE DOCTORS BECAUSE OF MORE MEDICAL BILLS. WE ABOUT TO LOSE OUR HOME. WE APPLIED FOR ENERGY ASSISTACE BUT WAS 8.00 DOLLARS OVER. WE PAY FOR LUNCHES THAT IS 60.00 DOLLARS AMONTH. AN NEXT YEAR WE WILL BE PAYING FOR 2 SCHOOL LUNCHES WHICH WILL DOUBLE. THEY GO BY THE GROSS AMOUNT AMONTH I HAVE TO SEND MY HUSBANDS PAYSTUBS IN AN IF HE GETS 3 CHECKS THAT MONTH WHICH ARE MAY AN OCT AN THEY KNOW THIS FROM YEAR TO YEAR THEY WAIT AN TAKE IT OUT 2 MONTHS LATER WHICH THE PAYCHECKS ARE LESS. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THERE IS AN OVER PAYMENT AN THEY TAKE OUT 10% TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK. WE HAD TO BUY A WATER HEATER DUE TO A FLOOD IN OUR BASEMENT. SOCIAL SECURITY DOESN'T GO ON WHAT BILLS YOU HAVE AMONTH OR IF SOMETHING HAPPENS AN NEEDS TO BE FIXED SO HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE IF THEY ARE DISABLILED AN HAVE CHILDREN TO BE RAISED. I DON'T KNOW HOW WE ARE GOING TO AFFORD OIL FOR THE WINTER TO HEAT OUR HOUSE. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON SSI WORKS WITH A CHILD AN A PARENT BOTH RECEIVING SSI. THANK YOU FOR ANYONES ADVICE. I REALLY NEED HELP.

:CONFUSED:

[This message has been edited by winnie11400 (edited 10-05-2003).]

Last edited by winnie11400; 11-10-2003 at 04:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2003, 04:23 AM   #2

2manypills HB User
sorry about your problems,but i think ssi pays a flat rate.the same for everyone,apx.$575????but ssd pays according to your earnings from previous jobs.good luck

Old 10-18-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

winnie11400 HB User
Unhappy

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION. BUT I GOT A LETTER ON OCT 3RD AN IT SAID I WAS APPROVED BUT CAN NOT RECEIVE THE BENEFITS. I CALLED TO FIND OUT WHY AND WHAT THE INCOME LEVEL WAS AND THE MAN ON THE PHONE SAID IT WAS $1,900.00 IT WAS BECAUSE OF MY HUSBANDS INCOME AND NOT BECAUSE OF MY SON'S. SO I THOUGHT I WOULD CALL AND APPEAL ABOUT A LITTLE LESS THEN AWEEK LETTER I CALLED THE WOMEN ON THE PHONE SAID THE INCOME LEVEL WAS $1,100.00 DUE TO MY HUSBANDS INCOME AN WHEN I TOLD HER MY SON RECEIVES IT SHE SAID IT TAKES THE INCOME LEVEL DOWN TO $900.00. SO I READ A POST ON HERE THAT SAID TO CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN SO I WROTE HIM A LETTER TO EXPAIN TO HIM WHAT MY MEDICAL PROBLEMS WERE AN HOW MANY MEDICATIONS I NEED AN I AM WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM HIM I HOPE HE CAN HELP ME. BECAUSE IF I DON'T GET SSI THEN I WILL NEVER GET BETTER MY HUSBANDS CO-PAYS FOR HIS INSURANCE IS $20.00 TO $30.00 PER MED AN I NEED AT LEAST 9 SO ITS EITHER I PAY MY BILLS OR MY MED'S SO I WILL HAVE TO SIT AN BE IN PAIN THE REST OF MY LIFE OR FIGHT THIS ISSUE WITH SSI. I NEED TO GET BETTER FOR MY CHILDREN I HAVE BEEN SICK FOR TWO LONG. I WILL BEABLE TO CONTROL MY MEDICAL PROBLEMS BUT I WILL HAVE PAIN THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Last edited by winnie11400; 11-10-2003 at 04:05 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to winnie11400:
2wannaBme (12-14-2010)
Old 11-17-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User
Medical bills are a real killer. I hope things straighten out soon.

Last edited by snowmelts; 11-17-2003 at 09:42 PM.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:22 AM   #5
(female)

winnie11400 HB User
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts
Medical bills are a real killer. I hope things straighten out soon.
I KNOW THEY ARE. WHEN THEY CALL AN ASK WILL THAT BE PAID BY A CREDIT CARD OR CHECK TODAY. AND I DON'T EVEN OWN A CREDIT CARD. I HAVE A CONGRESSMAN WORKING ON MY SSI AN HOPE I WILL HEAR SOON I REALLY AM IN PAIN AN IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE AND CAN'T AFFORD TO GO SEE MY DOCTOR FOR MEDICATION AND CAN'T AFFORD THE MEDICATION IF I WENT TO SEE THE DOCTOR. BUT THANK YOU FOR HOPING THINGS WORK OUT. I DO TOO WE CAN'T KEEP THIS UP TRYING TO MAKE THE BILL COLLECTORS UNDERSTAND THAT I WANT TO PAY BUT CAN'T AT THIS TIME.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
(female)

2wannaBme HB User
Re: how does it work when a child an a parent both are receiving ssi

Hello winnie11400 I have been reading your posts and I can relate to them really well. I too have mrsa and be in lots of pain. Also My daughter was approved for ssi and ss told me I can't touch her funds either. I applied for ss a year ago and was denied. I suffer from depression. I appealed ss decision and waiting to go to court on the matter. I was hoping that maybe you and I could maybe IM each other to share some info that maybe each other will find useful. What you think? Thanks Winnie11400

Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Gee I am so sorry for both of you. You both need a hug and some kind of comfort in the form of releif. I am wondering some states have community health care like where I am at I have healthcare base on my income is what I pay. so like dr's visit is 10.00 and I only pay on monthly charge I don't pay when I go to the DR's I pay just one monthly charge. I was worried about healthcare until my county had that but not every county has it my sister needed surgery and had to apply for medicare or medicaid I can't remmber which. Which ever she isn"t 65 yet . So can you maybe find out if you have some kind of county thing. I was also worried about insurance issues thinking I would get the shaft because I counldn't work anymore and my re-exting condititon but I cant honestly say I have gotten looked at more than I ever did even when I had insurance.When I had insurance I had to wait for approval for a ruputed disk and because I had to wait so long I have permant nerve damage from it. And when I needed to get a hisorextomy I had to wait so long for approval. But now They have me schulded for mri/mra head,neck, brain and thoric spine and it didn't have to wait (but I did wait a year to get into see the neurolist). but the whole time I was on a DR's care so my whole point is to see if you have a community support somewwhere? I am wondering about your house situtation can you apply for houseing because then you don't have to worry about repairs. Like maybe housing for the disabled. I'm just trying to help somehow Different commintiy in the state might have something. How about talking to a social worker ?PLease keep us posted this is a good place to go to talk if you need advice people are helpful. Happy Holidays I.ll be praying for you both

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
sick10 (12-15-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

unfortunatley there are so many in the same situation as you-while i was was waiting for my ssdi to be approved my husband got laid off and we have two children and it was hell=luckily my husband had ins that covered our credit card pmts due to job loss so that was a big help-but i needed medication and constant medical care and had no ins and it was rough-but we got thru it and you will too-as far as school lunches you should be getting them free-dont give them all your husbands income-pay stubbs-at least i wouldnt. also call your local churches as they can be a big help with lots of resourses esp things like food and clothing-keep the faith-you must believe even during these dark times, God is with you-beleive.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

SSI, for you, is based on household income. There are two qualifications (1) are you disabled per SS? (2) do you meet the limited income requirements.

If you have too much income for SSI you may be deemed disabled but ineligible for benefits.

If your children receive SSI for their own disabilities that is not considered household income (from what I understand) as that is for the benefit of the child.

Closed Thread