It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User
Filed May 8th, what is my status?

I have been on their website. I used it to file. I know I can go to a place that tells me the status of my case. Except is never right. It seems to be months off and I just filed. "We need proof of birth" and I send it US Mail, Return Receipt Requested. They got it, but I get no answers to questions.

The director just put out a new...uh...directive (?) saying their goal is to process a claim in 21 days. Pause....for the laughter to die down. That would be real nice. I signed 7 of the forms for my records. That was a month ago.

I don't want to irritate them, just find out what is really happening and see if they have any idea when they will be rejecting it. I need to hire a lawyer and see if he can do any better.

Any opinions or back door ideas for finding out?? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
(male)

TINCAN HB User
Re: Filed May 8th, what is my status?

Hello dllfo,
Are you talking about SSDI? If so what are you claiming? It took me 1 year from the time I claimed to get SSDI. I was turned down twice and then I had to get an attorney to get it. If you do not have a life threatening situation you are almost assured you will be turned down twice. Then get a lawyer! I am sorry I don't have more reassuring news. TINCAN
LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
DISCTECTOMY L5-S1
FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
FBSS
BONE SPURS
MEGA SCAR TISSUE
DDD UP TO THORASIC AREA AND CERVICAL AREA
DISK BULGES @ C3-4, C4-5, C5-6, C6-7, T3-4,T4-5
STENOSIS
SPONDYLIOSIS
DISK BULGE L4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User

Tincan...I am not in a life threatening position and it is SSDI, sorry about that.
I heard what you said about SSDI, so I sent my package to a local attorney. He read it and sent it back, saying I was a "slam dunk" and I should file. He told me to save my money and that the SSDI had recently become more friendly. In parting he said if I didn't win on the first try to call him. That was in April 2006.

I am permanently disabled, per the doctors. I am on morphine for my lower back and hip. The doctors tell me I am beyond current science. I have not worked at all since 2003 and only about 1/4 time in 2002 and 2003. I will never work again due to meds and inability to focus my mind. I might make a good door stop. I also itch REAL bad. My shins look like hamburger meat. I am on two meds for that, but they don't stop the itch. My PM&R doctor said the itch was a minor side effect. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...minor to HIM!!!!!

I have high blood pressure and have had chest pains 4 out of the last 7 days. By chest pains I mean I used Nitrolingual to ...uh...stop the pains. I also lay down and rest until it quits hurting. I have had too many ambulance rides to take a chance. I am on blodd pressure meds, like the rest of you.

I have severe asthma. I sit in the house on many days, I am allergic to a lot of items...common things like evergreen trees and so on.

I also have carpel tunnel, BPH and GERD. And my mouth sticks together. I know that sounds weird, but all my asthma meds seem to make my mouth dry out and I can't talk without water in front of me 24/7. I sound like I am drunk. My wife doesn't want me to answer our phone, she is afraid people will think I am inebriated all the time. I wish. (Actually, I don't drink and never have...don't smoke either) My real problem with Dry Mouth is that Nitro pills will sit under your tongue and do you (me) no good. My last ambulance ride was one with 3 nitro pills under my tongue. Dry mouth. I have lots of witness's to my physical limitations if they need witness's.

Does that help explain my question? Sorry I forgot the other info, I was having a morphine moment...oh yeah, I have sleep apnea. Oh yes, you asked if I was dying?? No, I would have to get to feeling better to die

I borrowed a Pulse Oximeter to check my blood oxygen level...it stays in the mid 80s most of the time. who knows why? Maybe that is why I fall asleep all the time.....but I am not a cadaver yet.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

dllfo, I love your wit. Mind if I ask how old you are? From what I hear there is a minimum age requirement to become a door stop. Just don't make it a full time job or you'll be denied for sure.

Each time my husband filed, it took 3 months here in SC for the medical records to be collected, reviewed and a decision reached. Some states take much longer and I haven't read of anyone that received a decision any sooner than 3 months but I'm sure they are out there.

Something that hurt my husband during his second denial was based on what the SSDI rep said. His condition worsened and I called SSA to submit more medical evidence but was told not to bother, they had all the info they needed, knew he was in pain, and it would only delay the process. I shouldn't have listened to her and sent it anyway.

Apparently each state is different, as are the doctors who send in the records. Some are good about sending in the reports and some drag their feet, for example. SSA may want to schedule an IME for you in order to get more medical evidence, creating yet another delay.

A question for Tincan: When will you get your first review? My husband's condition almost mirrors your's and he has some surgeries coming up but the ALJ recommended a review in 'about a year to 18 months'. That's right around the corner!

Good luck, dllfo. Hope you hear something good very soon!

Old 08-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

The only "slam dunk" winning condition is if you are blind. The time it takes for your claim to be processed and reviewed actually varies by state and it is not the same in each state. Some states are literally overburdened with applications while other state offices may be severely understaffed due to job cuts a few years ago.

When I had first applied it was some 4 or 5 months before I heard anything back and that was a denial. My husband on the other hand filed and got approved in under 3 months and he got really lucky because that doesn't happen often.

What you can do is call your local office and find out the current status. Sometimes they could be waiting for a doctor to send in forms or documents and it may not be on the SS end but the doctors end instead. It can't hurt to call an enquire at least. Witnesses often do not bear as much weight as medical evidence of qualifying condition(s).

Good Luck
Barb

Old 08-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
(male)

TINCAN HB User

Hello all
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. dllfo I noticed on one of your other posts that you are 61. I and this is JUST MY OPINION I think you are a slamdunk. I think this because of your physical state and a BIG ALSO is your age. Kaybee I was scheduled for a review about 3 yrs. after I was approved. It was just after I had my fusion of L5-S1 with hardware. The SS office sent me a questionare telling me about the review and they asked how my health had been the past 3 yrs. I sent it back to them and informed them about my recent fusion. I recieved a letter in the mail about a month later informing me that they (SS) did not need to review me now. I hope this answers your question. I hope you all have a blessed evening and a great weekend!!
TINCAN
LAMINACTOMY L5-S1
DISCTECTOMY L5-S1
FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
FBSS
BONE SPURS
MEGA SCAR TISSUE
DDD UP TO THORASIC AREA AND CERVICAL AREA
DISK BULGES @ C3-4, C4-5, C5-6, C6-7, T3-4,T4-5
STENOSIS
SPONDYLIOSIS
DISK BULGE L4

Old 08-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User

Kaybee, thank you for the kind words. I was born in Tulsa, OK and back there your IQ had to be lower than your shoe size to be a door stop. But in Calif. I am not sure there is any criteria...for anything. Oh yes, I just turned 61 on August 6th. Born August 6, 1945 at almost the very minute the USAF visited Hiroshima.

My local SSDI lady called about 6 weeks ago, asked for some information, but I was in the middle of a 50% increase in my morphine so I could barely talk. And my memory was taking a nap. I told her the wife put a name tag on me so I could remember who I was. I was not drunk, but on pain meds. I don't think she was favorably impressed.

I asked my PM&R doctor if the gov't had contacted them yet and he said no.

I have left a few messages for this local lady, no call backs yet, I am sure she is busy. The saving grace is they will go back to the day I filed.

Did you read the article by the head of SSDI? A 21 day answer. So it will always be no unless you have lost both legs, or are blind.

Tincan, what a list of things to go thru. With that list it sounds like you are the designated writer for the second floor of a VA hospital. My heart goes out to you for all those problems. I have had about 4 on your list. Thanks for the vote for slamdunk. I am hoping they take a look to see that I have NOT worked for the past 2.7 years. That should mean something. NO earned income since 2003. Never will be again. I thought about generating a little side income robbing graves or running for mayor...each takes about the same amount of moral fortitude out here...but I will wait for the SSDI people.

As for slamdunk, I am not that lucky. Never have been. I am in it for the long haul...I wish all of you luck.

Closed Thread