It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #1

SPSII HB User
trying to apply for prescription assistance

When they say "gross" income. Am I suppose to include the amount that I get for my daughter through SSDI? What about child support?

Old 08-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: trying to apply for prescription assistance

Unless otherwise specified, income is usually considered "salary/wages" earned, rental payments received from property that you own, interest payments from banks, stocks, bonds, dividends, etc. In otherwords *taxable* income.

If I were you I would not include the child support or the childs amount you get through SSDI. That amount would already be covered when you list your annual and/or monthly household assets or whatever it is the prescription coverage is asking to determine coverage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

When you apply for prescription assistance your household gross yearly income is the income you and your spouse-partner and dependants receive in one calendar year, before taxes and withholdings. It includes wages and salary income... self-employment income.. interest, dividends, Social Security or SSDI, Railroad Retirement income... Supplemental Security Income (SSI); public assistance or welfare payments; retirement, survivor, or disability pensions and all other income (that would include child support).

Last edited by countrykid; 08-26-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #4

SPSII HB User

I make a little over $1200 a month with SSDI and state retirement. Is this too much to even apply?

Old 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSII
Is this too much to even apply?
Depends on which prescription program you are applying for County, State or Federal. They all have different kinds criterias. Or are you using one from an insurance company?
The form you are trying to complete, does it have a "help" (customer service) phone # you can use?

My state (New Jersey) does not consider "child support" as income & neither does the Feds because it is not taxable income.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #6

SPSII HB User

I am filling out one from Forest Pharmaceuticals for my Lexapro.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSII
I am filling out one from Forest Pharmaceuticals for my Lexapro.
I recently had to renew my prescription for another drug manufacturer on their discount program.
Drug manufacturers do not consider child support or the SSDI amount you get for your child as income either.

What is important to them is that you are *in need* of their drug. The important thing is that you are on SSDI.

I am assuming you will need to have your doctor send them a prescription also? If this is the case, that is really all they basically need besides SSDI info.

I hope that helps.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #8

SPSII HB User

With my mortgage and everything I do need help. Not to mention I don't have a savings account. My Dr will sign off. Hopefully it will go through. Thank you so much!!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #9
(female)

countrykid HB User

Since you are recieving SSDI make sure when it is time to get Medicare you also apply for the prescription assistance.

I do not like to disagree with other posters but I do know of several Drug Manufacturers that DO take dependant SSDI and child support as an INCOME. BUT they also use a deduction based on you having a dependant.

There is alot of help out there depending on which state you reside. Some states have very strict guidelines....My mother in Colorado can't get any help because she has been determined not to be unable to help herself. She's blind and has only Survivors SS income. State assistance was denied. So she has to pay for a prescription plan through a insurance company.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Countrykid, has your mother tried applying directly to the drug manufacturer? Is that allowed in Colorado?

I know in NJ, if you are denied by the Feds & the State you can apply through your county and/or go through private or non profit agencies for senior/disabled people for your prescriptions.

In my county, the disabled are entitled to *free* transportation to all doctors appointments (doesn't matter if you have a car or not). Not sure if this is "state wide" or not because the buses are "township" buses. This is just an example.

When I was approved for SSDI my local SS office sent me booklet of all the programs for the disabled in the State & my "County".
Quote:
There is alot of help out there depending on which state you reside. Some states have very strict guidelines
This is so very true & also so sad. A lot of states also do not have the $$$$$ to support such programs & the ones that do, the resources go untapped.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
(female)

countrykid HB User

Mom got so frustrated with all the problems with her getting any help from her county in Colorado and the state after my step dad died that she just gave up. She needs the extra insurance she has for her drs and such which covers her meds. We are lucky she only has to take a couple of cheap pills...knock on wood....She only has to pay $2.00 for generic and $7.00 for brand name and if she mails away it's $4.00 and $14.00 for 90 days. Not too bad. The down fall is that her choice of drs is just horrible.

Colorado is about the worse state for the disabled....like I said before you have to be helpless to get any help. Wrong state to move and retire.

Oh and transportation you got to pay for their Access ride.

I've heard NJ is great for the disabled much like PA.

This board is good for getting out some of the info to those that are having trouble finding help.

Closed Thread