It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User
What do you do all day while on disability ?

I would like to know what some of the readers on here do all day while on disability or waiting for the out come for thier disability. I need some new ideas on what do do with my time while i wait for my disability to start . Thanks so much ! Have a wonerful day !
Karen

Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 AM   #2
(female)

nanna_T HB User
Re: What do you do all day while on disability ?

I am on disability and I spend most of the day on my computer. I guess that makes me a nerd, but I have several health issues and I learn a lot of helpful information from forums and internet sites. I also like playing internet games. I particularly like the forums where I come across other people with the same health issues as myself and make friends there, and take comfort that I am not the only one that is suffering pain or discomfort.
Apart from that I do what housework I can manage depending on what is ailing me on the day, spend time with my pets, visit neighbours, read books or magazines, spend time outdoors in nice weather, or watch a video.
Occasionally of course, I do the thing that all women like to do - go shopping!
Nothing very exciting in my usual day I know, but I love pottering around at home, and I never have enough hours in the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

right now i am in the process of going nuts. i have been home since early May and not working hasn't grwon on me yet. i am going into therapy for the depression since i believe i am in for the long haul. will probably retire at some point since my body is too broken to do my job anymore but it has all affected my mind.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

Do you belong to the YMCA? The pool can do wonders for the body and soul. Nice weightless movements. It's a good way to get some low impact exercise or mobility to loosen things up. Do you have children? Maybe you can volunteer at a school or library and read to students for a short amount of time.

To be disabled, you don't have to be nearly dead. If your dr. wants you to be as active as possible, it by no means implies that you can maintain anything comparable to an 8hr/day work schedule.

I have to admit that sometimes there are times that I get hopeful and think that because my husband will try his limits, surely there is something out there he can do. That is a terrible assumption on my part. When he feels fairly decent, he pushes himself but ends up paying for it that evening or else the next day. If he has a 'good' day (although he is never pain-free), I feel like he isn't suppose to feel that way if he's disabled. As a bystander, if I have those perceptions, I can't imagine what someone who can't work feels when they get a good day! Don't worry, I see the light now!

karen

Old 09-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Kaybee---i am with you. i will start aqautic therapy for my many work related injuries next week. that wil be nice and then go on to regular PT once i am ready or have surgeries that the dr.s are thrwoing around. in the midst of this i had a thryopid biposy wed and may need my thryoid removed. that'll come first. the depression has set in so i took myself to a coulnselor and will start that next week also. i have always worked, worked, worked so have very little outside interest or hobbies. BUT the other day i bought some fake flowers at a craft store and low and behold made 2 beautiful arrangements for my house. surprised the heck out of me. never knew i had any talent. also my grandaughter who is 4 is in pre-K. when i went to her open house her teacher asked me if i would be willing to come in once in a while and read to the kids. my whole family was htere and just laughed. my dream has always been to work with little kids. just love them so my family knew i would jump at this opportunity. when my daughter took my grandaughter to scholl the first day she kind of fille dher in or some of my problems. me and the teahcer will talk someday about how much i can help. so even though iam very depressed with not much interest somehwee in the back of my mind is a new life for me when i am well again. and i will be. not like i was before the work injuries but capable of doing something enjoyable even just a few hours a few days a week. there is life after disability.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
(female)

technomom HB User

I have been home since last April and have had 2 surgeries since then. I too am going stir crazy. I spend some time on the computer, but my pain limits that. I am tired of reading and doing puzzles and would appreciate any ideas also.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomom
I am tired of reading and doing puzzles and would appreciate any ideas also.
Travel during the *off season*. You would be amazed at the cheap prices.

I've been disabled since last July & so far I've been on 2 *off season* 7 night cruises.
Next year I am planning on going on the 11 day ones. *Off season* of course.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

rhales199 HB User

things my husband like to do are
listen to books on tape (he's legally blind), do stuuf on the computer, type or write poetry, watch tv, or go with me to run errands.
lately, he's had Dr. appt's about once a week, too, so that's taken up some of the time.
oncehe gets over this illness that is making him cough, and we can figure out things schedule wise, we might go join the YMCA. Heaven knows we both need some excercise.
Becky

Old 10-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
(female)

madfit HB User

I am on disability due to a stroke 4 years ago which left me paralyzed on the right side. After my occupational and physical therapy ran out due to health insurance, my doctor suggested I go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week to get stronger.
I have been doing that now for 2 1/2 years. It has improved my disability tremendously. I am walking with a cane and have regained most of my right hand and arm functioning. Still can't write with right hand, but keep practicing.
When I get home, I do some chores, go on the computer, watch TV, read, etc. My day if very full. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been on disability since Nov 05 and have had moments where I've gone crazy trying to find something to do....something to break the cycle of depression that I'm going through. I'm only 30 and there aren't many people I know who are on SSDI who are my age, and those who are my age don't really get the whole SSDI thing. I'm on it for mental issues and a lot of people around are just telling me to "buck up" and start working, after all, I've done it before so why can't I do it now? Frustrating. But so far I'm managing to keep busy at least part of the time and have found that the times I'm not busy (and watching Days of Our Lives doesn't count as busy!) depression starts to set in and I end up not doing anything except sitting on the couch all day, or at the computer. I really need to push myself to get outside and do stuff.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelady2852
I would like to know what some of the readers on here do all day while on disability or waiting for the out come for thier disability. I need some new ideas on what do do with my time while i wait for my disability to start . Thanks so much ! Have a wonerful day !
Karen
You do anything you want to do that you have money and physical ability to do.

You are still you, just not able to do as much as before.

I think it's best to try to run your life in spite of the disability,
rather than letting the disability run your life completely.

You must have done something before becoming disabled?
Whatever it was keep doing it as long as your disbility is not in the way.

Do you have a collage degree?
If not, why not apply for a Pell Grant, Help from Voc Rehab and go to classes!

Work toward a future! (Disabled does NOT = no future) You just have to figure out something that fits you.. find a goal for a future.. in spite of your disability.

For many of us the disability makes it take more time to do the physical things we used to do.

We also have to learn what pain causing things to avoid.

Haveing time to travel sounds great but Financial problems of course keep a lot of us from traveling or doing anything that costs money.
Some disabilities make travel rather an awkward task physically or mentally, even if you have the money,

The older you get the more constrictions your body / energy puts on what you can do.

I think of my variouse disabilites as part of my road and suddenly there is big bad mountain in my path.
I can't climb straight over it or plow straight through.
Instead I have to navigate small winding paths around and around.. 2 steps foreward one step back..sometimes it's like climbing the Rockie Mountains baresfoot... untill I am on the other side "in spite of" the disability.
Does that make sense?

It's true the non-disabled guy got over the mountain faster than I did.
So what? I can take personal pride that at least I gave it a darn good try.
AND I've never watched any daytime soaps (I watch movies in the daytime now when I'm home and the stupid house doesn't need cleaned. House work seems never ending.)

Last edited by snowmelts; 10-07-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #12

SPSII HB User

I take care of my 3 1/2 year old daughter. I feel like my disability was a blessing in disguise because I get to spend so much time with her.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #13
(female)

rhales199 HB User

reply to lizzy76 just a thought/ suggestion-What about voluteering somewhere? It doesn't even have to be anything much. Even just a couple hours a day two or three days a week. That would get you out of the house and you'd be helping people.
Some places that always need volunteers are: daycare centers/ schools, nursing homes or senoir centers, food serving at a homeless shelter or helping at a food bank, some thrift stores, or animal shelters. Those are just ideas.
Have a great day!!
Becky

Last edited by rhales199; 10-09-2006 at 11:27 PM.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
(female)

mary48 HB User
Smile Re: What do you do all day while on disability ?

I have SLE, Hughes Syndrome, and many other nedical problems. It was very difficult to face that I could not work anymore. On a good day, I can take care of my pets, get on the net, do personal care etc. I take advantage of the good days. On the bad days, I can't get out of bed. My brother moved in recently and he takes over when I am feeling bad. Cooks, takes care of the apt and my animals. Fatigue is a big problem.I never watched TV much, but now I do.I learned though if I do too much on the good days, I pay for it. It can get frustrating, I'm trying to find a hobby that doesn't require alot of exertion, and not alot of money. Living on SS without insurance or any medical help doesn't leave alot of entertainment $$$ available. Some days I just go crazy!Having pets is great, just love them. They get alot more attention now that I'm home. Get a guinea pig, they love to cuddle.

Closed Thread