It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

dlp3300 HB User
New here Few Quetions,Legally Blind?

Well I never thought that I would be posting here, but I went for as long as I could.This whole ssd thing has me confused.Quick Rundown: I have has 2 failed back surgerys(Doulble fusion).3rd one not a option,I am about to have a spinal cord stimulator put in.I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder,panic attacks and bipolar II,My vision is 20/1000 my eye dr says I am Legally blind (without correction).Failed back surgery syndrome,permanant nerve damage.Also chronic pain and 2 torn shoulder rotator cuffs.Carpel tunnel in both hands.Whew!! My Drs. Have been trying to put me on ssd since 2003 and have barreled thru the pain at work,chocking back tears on a daily basis.I am no longer working as of june and have been putting off applying for ssd because of the bs I have seen my friend go thru.Everyone has been telling me to apply and It is time.Honestly it seeems overwhelming about the amount of info they want!!!It is hard to resign myself that at 36 this is how things have turned out.It was really hard to go this site and post here,but I really need some advice from the pros here that have been through all this.Does my work history make a difference? I was with the same company for 5 years(thank god for my pension) and made 50,000.00 a year.Same occupation since I was 17yrs old.Does that determine how much I recieve ? How bad do you have to be before you get approved.I don't see my conditon improving ,I am maxed out and end the end of my rope.Someone please advise.Thanks and god bless all.

Last edited by dlp3300; 10-04-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: New here Few Quetions,Legally Blind?

[removed]
Quote:
Does my work history make a difference?
Absolutely! They already know your work history & you should too. Every year around your birthday, you should have gotten a booklet from Social Security Admin telling you the exact amout of what you will get when you retire, become disabled, etc.
This same booklet list the dates of every job you have ever had in your lifetime.

If you never received the above booklet, you can request this booklet for *free* from the SSD website.

Last edited by HBMod07; 10-05-2006 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Members come for advice, not to be told to go elsewhere for answers.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Re: New here Few Quetions,Legally Blind?

Hello!! First of all, my hubby, who is 32, is legally blind and has a physical disability, also.
You should definately reapply, especially since you now have a visual impairment. I've heard that most people who have viusal impairments get accepted pretty easily.

Something else I would suggest is that you get with your states' commision for the blind (or what ever it is called there). They can help you with any blindness training or other issues that you may have. I think they would need to have proof of your visual impairment or a referral from your eye dr first though.
Another thing you might do is get involved with the National Federation of the Blind of Florida. on the net, [removed] I am pretty sure there are some NFB members your age there, and some of them have probably had experiences similar to your own. Even if you don't join, they could at least give you resources of places to go for help or whatever.
I know disability is hard to accept, especially for a young adult, but please know that you are not alone in this, and please take care of yourself!!
Becky

Last edited by HBMod07; 10-05-2006 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Per posting Rules, do not direct members to search engines

Closed Thread