It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
(male)

lobster327 HB User
severe sleep apnea

Has anyone gotten ssd for severe sleep apnea?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
(male)

Location: eleven miles north of the MT/WY boarder off I-90 in Wyola Montana (where men are men and sheep live in constant fear.
jimpadget HB User
Re: severe sleep apnea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster327
Has anyone gotten ssd for severe sleep apnea?
I have severe sleep apnea (I stop breathing 20 to 30 seconds/minute all through the night). However, my sleep apnea was "cured" with a CPAP machine that forces your airway open. Before you can get one of these miracle machines, you have to have a test (usually in a hospital) and get a script from your Doc. As far as I know, the SSD doesn't grant Disability for a condition that is so easily taken care of, but then you never know. You just never know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
(female)

dkbladez HB User

I was just awarded disability. I have chronic obstructive sleep apnea that is due to a neuromusclular condition. My apnea was improved using the CPAP but my muscle condition will continue to get worse, so in that case my apnea is not cured and one day I will probably need a bipap and then maybe a trach.It's worth a try especially if it interferes with your daily living.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
(male)

jngavin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbladez View Post
I was just awarded disability. I have chronic obstructive sleep apnea that is due to a neuromusclular condition. My apnea was improved using the CPAP but my muscle condition will continue to get worse, so in that case my apnea is not cured and one day I will probably need a bipap and then maybe a trach.It's worth a try especially if it interferes with your daily living.
Hi, Not sure if you ended up having the Trach done. I had mine put in May 2008. I think I made the right deciosion. However I have had a few complications resulting from the horrible coughing the first 4-5 weeks.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Except in unusual cases, probably not, since it's treatable condition. Either surgery or CPAP can keep it completely under control. But I don't know you and your particular situation, so if you think you have a case, it can't hurt to apply.

Emily

Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Sleep apnea is tricky. Is it "severe enough" to require surgery or will a CPAP machine take care of the problem? If the machine will help...awesome! My husband has refused the machine...therefore I believe I deserve some sort of disability payments for putting up with his snoring/gagging/ceasing breathing noises all night.

It doesn't bother HIM but I would like some sleep.

sheesh, you selfish apnea people.

o.k., i'm going to the guestroom now....

Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
(female)

debi1957 HB User

yes You can get approved, i did, if it is severe enough and you have doccumentation of physical problems caused by it, its considered a disability. I do have other health problems, some related to the sleep apnea.

Closed Thread