It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

marys1358 HB User
health insurance

Hello,

What is everyone doing for health insurance?I have insurance right now but I have to drop it because I CAN"T afford it anymore down to my last $$$$$$$$.
I should receive my backpay any day but insurance is do Monday and only have 1/2 the money so they're going to drop me been with them since 1990 sucks.So I was wondering what is everyone else doing for insurance?Since I'm Dx's witha preexisting condition where do you turn?They say my husband makes to much for badger care so I'm screwed.His pay doesn't even cover all the bills.I don't know what to do.

Please I need advice.Sorry for venting.
Mary

Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
(female)

sleuthie HB User
Re: health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by marys1358 View Post
Hello,

What is everyone doing for health insurance?I have insurance right now but I have to drop it because I CAN"T afford it anymore down to my last $$$$$$$$.
I should receive my backpay any day but insurance is do Monday and only have 1/2 the money so they're going to drop me been with them since 1990 sucks.So I was wondering what is everyone else doing for insurance?Since I'm Dx's witha preexisting condition where do you turn?They say my husband makes to much for badger care so I'm screwed.His pay doesn't even cover all the bills.I don't know what to do.

Please I need advice.Sorry for venting.
Mary
I was kind of wondering the same thing Mary
Can you get on your husbands insurance? Check your state to see what they have to offer and you may be able to get assistance with your meds too. We have a free clinic here but you have to take all income there and be almost homeless to get assistance. Then you get to wait there ALL DAY to see someone. And then the care is just basic stuff you know.

Gosh, I hope you find some help Mary. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

mary--is there any way you can go to a lesser expensive plan? if ther eis no lapse in coverage for more than 60 days the pre-exisiting clause is usually waived. the other option is your husbands. is that a possiblility? i understand what you are going through as I was the benefit carrier and after bein ginjured and out of work for 10 months have to pay over $1000 a month to keep us both covered. it is a hardship to say the least. good luck.

ICC

Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

marys1358 HB User

Thanks for responding,

The thing is my husband can't get insurance through work because his boss has high risk and dropped the insurance so we have indivdiual insurance where I had to raise the deductible already if it goes any higher I might as well drop it because then I would have a 5,000.00 deductible which is just crazy.
But you know if you try for assistance well my husband makes to much money but yet you can't even pay all the bills a month.I feel bad because I was a waitress and made excellent money and now NOTHING, that hurts the pocket book.
How does Medicare work so much money a month and then you also have to pay extra for Medicare D?I would love some suggestion of what policy I should pick for Medical D if anyone is from Wisconsin.I believe Medicare D should start August 2007.But you know the S.S. office it could be 2008.

Thanks Mary

Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Medicare is my health insurance & I go through one of my State's approved insurance for Part D to pay for my prescriptions. The premium is only $24/month. However, since I turned 56 last year I pay no premium as now I am on their Gold Program through my state.
Disabled people & Seniors get the same benifits.

Each state has their own Part D Prescription Drug Plan.

Once you get your Medicare card you should receive a Medicare booklet called Medicare & You 2007. It will explain everything.
In the back of this booklet there will be a list (chart) of all the Medicare qualified Part D Prescription Drug Plans & Insurance Plans FOR YOUR STATE to choose from.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
(female)

marys1358 HB User

Thanks all,
So Mz what your saying is you don't need any other insurance with medicare.That would be so nice to save 400.00 for my part of the insurance alone.I thought medicare covered so much of a bill then your insurance covered the rest.That would be sweet if I could drop mine.And it will be nice when MedicareD kicks in for the medication save alittle more a month.It will be nice to get caught up some what.And hopefully less anxiety attacks and flares.

Thanks All Mary

Old 02-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
So Mz what your saying is you don't need any other insurance with medicare.
Mary, not in my state.
Personally, I do not. However, if there comes a time that I do, there are plenty of different supplemental insurance plans in my county & state I can turn to which the state pays for.
Again, each state is different.

You will need to check the different programs if any that you have in your state and/or county that supplements the Part D insurance plans.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I would check with the state. Our state has Family Care. It use to just be Kid Care but they expanded it. That is New Jersey. It goes by income. I know that to keep my insurance it would cost me almost $600.00 bi-weekly to keep health and prescription. That is more then my monthly disability received. My husband and I both work for the same place so we both have family coverage. So I was able to go under him. It's unbelieveable that we can work all our lives and get screwed with insurance when we become disabled.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
(female)

Samee HB User

I was in the same boat with the insurance thing...I was approved last Sept for my SSD, and I had already had the 24 month waiting period to get Medicare...I received my Medicare card in Oct 06...

We had insurance through my husbands employment which was costing us $754.00 per month for family coverage....So for the last few months of 06 I had dural coverage, Atnea through his employ and my Medicare A & B....I didn't get Part D yet because I had it through Atnea...

In December we were given notice from his employer that as of Jan 1, 07 our insurance premium was going to go up and it was a large jump....It was going to go from $754.00 to 1101.00 PER MONTH!!!!!!! I about fainted!!! So of course we had to do some changing around before the end of the year...

In my state, Texas I did some research to get a supplemental plan and to get an individual policy for my husband and son...For my husband and son I found Unicare, its a 75%/25% policy with a $2000.00 deductible for $278.00 per month and that includes dental.

For me I found an advantage plus plan to compliment my Medicare and I also had to add Part D. I went through a company called Wellcare PFFS. It's only available in certain states. It is an 80%/20% plan, plus things like mamograms, colon screening, and other things I don't have to pay for its a 0.00...There is no cost for this plan.
I get my Medicare Part D through Wellcare as well, it's called the signature plan and cost me an additional $19.40 per month...

I also found out by accident that all of those in Medicare had until December 31 of each year to enroll in supplemental or advantage plus plans or face penalties. I also learned that if you have to get Medicare Part D along with a supplmental or advantage plus plan you must go with the same insurance company...For example when I was choosing Wellcare for my Part D, I enrolled and then went on a search for the advantage plus plan...I was going to go with Humana for that and when I called they asked me about Part D...I informed them that I had already signed up w/Wellcare....They told me I had to go with the same insurance company for both the supplmental or advantage plus plans, its the way the law has it set up....So I called Wellcare back and picked my plan....

Just today I received all the welcome books from Wellcare...I am getting better coverage with this plan than I did with my insurance through my husbands employement insurance...I also receive free of charge to me a $20.00 a month non prescribtion benefit. I get to pick from a list of items such as Vitamins, Advil, toothpaste, toothbrush, cotton swabs, and general things like this for no charge...

I hope this helps in your search for insurance....Oh, and once you find a plan to go with your Medicare you have to remain with them for one year....You can begin to look for a new plan in the last months of the year if you want to change plans or if your plan informs you that they are opting out and you have to search for a new plan....

Closed Thread