It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

pecan3023 HB User
How is back pay for SSDI calculated?

How is the back pay calculated ? I know my monthly benefit amount but when they called and told me I was approved for SSDI, they asked many questions about what I was paid on short term disability and whether or not I was paid the first year through the state or a private short term disability through my company. My question is just a general curiosity about how back pay is determined.
Any insight is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: How is back pay for SSDI calculated?

My husband's was determined by his monthy benefit amount x the amount of months he was disabled before approved - the first 6 months. I believe this is a standard calculation. hubby had no income so I'm not sure if you do if that works into the mix. I don't believe it does as long as it is not earned income and lets say WC benefits, etc.

ICC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

If your recieved STD through a state agency you can not also collect SSDI at the same time without some type of adjustment. Usually the STD only makes up the difference of what they would pay over and above your SSDI payment. Your backpay will be adjusted to repay the state agency. Now if you recieved STD through a private or company plan that is not subject to any withholding or payback. I collected STD and SSDI for only a short period of time. My STD period was only 6 months and because I filed for SSDI right away there was only 1 month of overlapping, but because it was private I was okay. Now some companies benefit plans may have a longer period of STD time than my previous employer but as long as it is private and the company does not have in its benefit summary any conditons regarding SSDI you don't have to worry about repayment.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

It starts from the first day you applied, right? I was out of work a whole year before I applied...during that time I received Short term Disability until it ran out in Nov.

I applied for SSDI in Dec, so thats when the backpay would begin??

And the monthly benefit amt you speak of....where is this number calculated from?

Thanks. I am not very educated when it comes to this SS benefits, etc...

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

babs17---to my understanding SSD goes back to the date of disability and backpays all but the first 6 months. That's what they did with my Husband. He didn't apply until he was disabled for almost 2 years. Just won in December and rec'd his back pay back 3 years ago less 6 months. I hope this helps.

ICC

Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

countrykid HB User

BABS....SSDI uses the day you put on your claim as the date you were unable to work. Now if you used the day you initiallly went out on STD then that is the date they will use. Now if you put in a date as the day you applied they may change it to the day you went out on STD. They changed my husbands to reflect the day he was unable to work. We didn't know we could back date that far. As long as you have medical documentation to support that date they may allow it to be back dated.
On you monthly benefit amount that could differ depending on the date that they use a date of disabilty. You can check your annual SS report you get each year for an approximate amount.
Now if I am reading your post correctly you didn't use the date of your beginning of STD. I would ask to have your claim adjusted to reflect that date. Call your local SS office and ask to speak to the individual that is handling your claim. I know our office is very cooperative to answer your ????'s.

Closed Thread