It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

djmcmullen HB User
Mental Exams

Hello -- I am on my first appeal for disablity. I have RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) and on Feb 9th had a mental exam for SSD. I just got a call a little bit ago from the doctors office where I had the first mental exam and I am to come back for MORE testing, about two hours worth! Any ideas what this might mean? Is this a positive sign? *crosses fingers*

Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
(female)

Samee HB User
Re: Mental Exams

It could mean that the examiner forgot to do a test the first time...

It could mean they need to gather more information before making a determination of diagnosis...

It's hard to say why they called you back...

I know my mental exam was 4 hours long....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

djmcmullen HB User

Hi Sam - Thanks for responding. 4 hours? how did you stand it? I broke after about a half hour of my first one and was a mess the rest of the day.

did the 4 hour exam help your case?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
(female)

Samee HB User

It was very tiring and draining...My husband was right in the hall and we left the door open...That was the only way I could do it without totally spazzing...

Yes, the examiner's was well known by the judge that heard my case...When the judge saw the examiner's report, it was what won my case....My original case was filed on my lumbar spine, but my mental depression and anxiety ended up winning my case...Go figure...

I was just truthful and tried my best to answer all the questions....

Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
(female)

djmcmullen HB User

Sam -- I am hoping that my examiners report weighs as heavily as yours did. My second mental exam took 2.5 hours and by the end I was ready to lose it. I did well on the knowledge portion (she said that I was the most intelligent person she has given the exam to - YIKES!) but I did horribly on any memory portion. She said that basically what that means is that I cannot do a job that requires me to remember things, like take a message and remember to give it to someone. I was a HR Manager in my former life, so I wonder what type of job I can do?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
(female)

txmomof3 HB User

I had a mental exam that lasted about an hour for SSD. I had a medical exam as well that lasted about the same amount of time. Ultimately, the mental exam was the tipping point of my case. I also have RSD, which is now a diagnosis that is on the "official" SSD list. When I got my SSD approved, it was not on the "official" SSD list. Now, they are starting to recognize that it is an extremely disabling condition, both mentally and physically.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
(female)

djmcmullen HB User

txmom -- I know that our situations are very similar but from what I read you had so much more documentation...I actually dont know what I have in my file! I hired a lawyer as soon as I got denied the first time!

Thanks for sharing about your mental exam, I'm hoping the exam will assist in the decision, though its frustrating because I feel like they did not take me seriously until depression came up in my file. I do wonder what type of job that they will feel that I am capable of doing? I am not able to drive anymore and public transportation here is limited to a senior bus that only drives in the county.

I havent been called for a physical exam yet, did the person who gave the exam know what RSD was?

I dont know what else I can do if they dont approve me this time. I'm seeking treatment for my RSD and am getting the catheter pump installed Thursday. I've also called a counselor per the recommendation of the people who did the mental exam and will start after I get out of the hospital. I'm getting frustrated.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
(female)

txmomof3 HB User

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. RSD sucks enough on its own!! The reason I had so much paperwork was due to several issues...but I made sure that EVERY healthcare professional I saw sent in my files. Also, any records, lab reports, xrays, pharmacy sheets (the drug info and receipt they give you with each fill) that I had in my possession, I copied and sent in. Some of it was duplicated by what the doctors sent in...but I figured the extra wouldn't hurt.

Honestly, I was astounded when my case got approved. At that time, RSD was not on their "list" and I was very afraid that I was going to get denied based on that alone. Also, I am young (30...got approved when I was 28) and have a master's degree...I could only imagine the possible jobs they could come up with that they thought I could do. I called my case worker at SSD routinely (about once every 2-3 weeks) to remind her that I was an actual person, not just a file. Anytime I had more documentation, I sent it in. If I has to go to the ER or get a test done, I went to the hospital a couple of days later and got my records and sent a copy to the SSD office.

I hope all goes well with getting your pump installed. Is this a trial or a permanent pump? Hopefully that will make a huge difference for you. Make sure that when you get out of the hospital that you have those records sent to SSD.

Closed Thread