It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

rmarti1968 HB User
Angry Frustrated, disabled at 38 hip dysplasia

I was born with hip dysplasia and it worsened once I hit early thirties, I applied for disability, and was denied several times, even with years and years of medical evidence, I was told because I was educated and young 32 at the time, and had alot of job experience I could find a job anywhere! Ridiculous!! I can't even get out of bed half the time, what a fight, finally hired a lawyer went to a hearing that was over in 13 minutes!! What a system! Don't know what to do with myself, so used to working all these years, doing my own thing and now can hardly get out of the house. Anyone else this frustrated?

The following user gives a hug of support to rmarti1968:
jgrangran (05-07-2011)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User
Re: Frustrated, disabled at 38 hip dysplasia

{Anyone else this frustrated?}
I probably will be. I have just applied for SSD due to severe osteoarthritis of my hips, neck,and hands. I am sure I will be going all the way to ALT.
I am sorry you have had such a battle. After reading all the previous posts on this board I think that is the norm. I am sure others on here can give you advise. I am to new to this know much.
Newfie11

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

sleuthie HB User

I feel you rmarti1968 and I'm sorry to hear about your lifelong suffering and that you had to put up with the SSDI dance and redtape!

I too am 38 and have several different health issues that are forcing me to file for SSDI soon too.

Ironically one is for the depression that many of the physical ailments have caused. And now I feel worthless because I feel I'm too young to be disabled and it's quite depressing in itself.

I tried for SSDI about 2 years ago and was denied (I guess most of us are) and the main reason was that I was too young and that I could still learn something else and had some college under my belt. Even the caseworker that read it to me, read it twice and kind of sneered "you can do SOMETHING" she obviously didnt agree with that decision.

I was too frustrated and so I just took any old job and then went to work as a cust svc. rep for almost 2 1/2 yrs and ended up causing more injury to my lower back from sitting confined to a comp with a headset on all day. I can only stand or sit in any position for a certain amount of time before it locks up in a mucsle spasm. Also have severe spasms at night. Also got carpal tunnel, had surgery for both hands in May 2006 and now is back in both hands. I would like them to tell me that I can still do office work. I have been diagnosed with ADHD, major depression, severe sleep apnea and central apnea, chronic pain from arthritis etc from 2 lower back surgeries and I also developed a disc in my neck which causes severe right sided neck and head pain that is very debilitating. I won't have any more surgeries because they may help for a moment but after a while it all catches up with you and you end up in worse pain and the docs are like, sorry but there's nothing more we can do for ya.

My psychiatrist also thinks that I have bi polar disorder but having a hard time with that due to my severe lack of sleep. I have gotten a CPAP for my sleep apnea and I was elated that I would finally have some rest and then maybe everything would fall into place. I'm having all kinds of trouble and often wake with it on my forehead or lying next to me. lol

I really don't want SSDI either because for some stupid reason It makes me feel like a failure or that I'm not contributing and that I don't have anything to look forward to or have given up. You obviously know what I'm saying.

I'm tying to find things to keep my mind and body active and may look into volunteering when I get myself straightened out. Helping others always takes the focus off of yourself and makes you feel a lot better.

I don't know if I will be approved or not but I need to survive because I'm tired of working a few years and then having to quit and find "something" to do. It just isn't a real good life.

I came here tonight to post all my problems and feel sorry for myself and bounce off of someone and your post stood out because I was just telling my b-friend that I feel so frustrated to be in such bad shape at my age. He's 52 and probably wants to go running for the hills from me. lol

Well Im rattling now....I'm following up on this so write back and take care cause things are bound to get better. BYW, did you get your SSDI after your court date? Did you get backpay and medicare?

Cheryl

The following user gives a hug of support to sleuthie:
jgrangran (05-07-2011)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi everyone I know how frustrating it is. I'm 43, and suffer from RSD(a nerve disorder), cervical dystonia (severe muscle spasms in the neck) and arthritis. I lost all use of my left arm, in fact my left hand touches my left shoulder and it is permanently locked that way. I have lost most of the use of my right arm sometimes it hard just for me to make out a simple check. I can't stay on the computer too long because it hurts my neck, shoulders and arm. My husband helps do most of the house cleaning and washing clothes. I no longer cook because of shape my arms are in and I tend to drop everything, so we eat out. So I feel for you all and wish you luck on getting your SSDI because sometimes it's a long hard fought battle. GOOD LUCK

The following user gives a hug of support to rayefaye:
jgrangran (05-07-2011)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

rmarti1968 HB User

Hey Sleuthie!! Yes I finally got disability and retro pay for 3 years, and I hope you do too, I also have bi polar and depression, it is very difficult to deal with this all at once, but I had so much stress about not getting any money for the past 4 years you would think I would be glad to get it, but for me I feel the same as you helpless, useless, it is very difficult to deal with this extreme change, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, so thanks for your response!! I am new to the site, still not sure how it works lol..

Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
(female)

rmarti1968 HB User

Hip and back pain are the worst, do you need pain medication for this, I know I do, I have tried ib prophen nsaids, pt, nothing helps, I hope you get your social security, it takes time, but i suggest you get a lawyer, the system is very tough!! Even though I had 20 surgeries since birth, they didn't care it is just unbelieveable!!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

Samee HB User

Is frustrating even the word!!!!!!!! Man, I know how you feel big time..When I was 36 my lumbar spine freaked out while just walking down my driveway...Ended up with 2 herniated disc, one severe, also found out I have severe spinal stenosis...
I went from never even getting a headache or really any kind of pain to chronic pain, doctor visits every 3 months, physical therapy to maintain the spine in proper alignment because it keeps going off to the right...
Before this the only thing I had to deal with was panic attacks and aniexty and now that it seems like I had this back thing, my pd/a lessened and I can't go places now because of the back issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, I feel your pain...

Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

I feel for all of you, hope you all have excellent Social Security attorneys & wish every one of ya'll good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
(female)

chanscott HB User
Wink Re: Frustrated, disabled at 38 hip dysplasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti1968 View Post
I was born with hip dysplasia and it worsened once I hit early thirties, I applied for disability, and was denied several times, even with years and years of medical evidence, I was told because I was educated and young 32 at the time, and had alot of job experience I could find a job anywhere! Ridiculous!! I can't even get out of bed half the time, what a fight, finally hired a lawyer went to a hearing that was over in 13 minutes!! What a system! Don't know what to do with myself, so used to working all these years, doing my own thing and now can hardly get out of the house. Anyone else this frustrated?
I am 38 and just diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Can anyone tell me what I may be in for in regards to my next steps? I would appreciate it very much, I am very nervous. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree with Mz migraine. I feel for all of you . For all those that are approved count your blessings and for all those that are applying my prayers go out to you. and for all those that that cfontinue to get denied keep fighting. there is nonthing worse to live in pain and have to fight for disability. and barely get bye. My prayers go out to all of you. Ther has been people that unfortunley have died before they even got their disability. so please everyone pray for those that are fighting everyday for there benifits.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
(female)

LLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB User

oh yeah I think at some point we all feel frustrated or we wouldn't seek out help here.

I just posted this in another thread but I just don't understand the system at all...and attorneys are my next in line of not understanding. I just don't understand the system and how others like this person I know gets approved, yet others of us who really should be approved are denied.

I first filed at age 42 and have several things listed in their blue book; I have a grocery list of debilitating problems. I was told by others I was sure to get approved because of very frequent recurring fainting episodes and even more so because they did testing to prove when I faint my heart stops - even with a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted.

I had all the medical tests & doctors reports to back this up how debilitating my conditions are; plus, the fact I am never allowed to drive again - which I was told by the SSA guy that didn't matter because I could take a taxi to work. I got denied because I can think for myself and keep a checkbook.

What really gets me is I know someone who got on SSDI just last year, who trains and rides horses; yet I can barely sit up daily without a multitude of problems. I've had fainting problems and arrhythmia's since I was 9 and worked from age 15 to 42 when my heart stopped and I went into cardiac arrest 3 times which my dr now says she thinks caused some brain damage but I can't have an MRI due to my ICD so I'm not sure how we can prove that part.

I hope we all get our answers and get approved who need it. I feel so bad for everyone knowing this is what others go through...years of waiting and choosing between meds/food and healthcare. Sickens me to think this is what I've worked almost 30 years for.

I'm hoping my dr's letter, RFC form and answers she sent to SSA will help me get approved this time =)

The following user gives a hug of support to LLTd:
jgrangran (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

LLTd. I know there is no rhyme are reason Just hang in there and don't give up. Try to keep that fighting spirit. Things will turn around for you it is just a matter of when.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti1968 View Post
Ditto your frustration! It is the ultimate Catch-22. And if you don't have a lot of work experience, your motives for applying for disability are questioned. Like you, I have a work history - well it was because I was working even though it was a monumental struggle to make it to work each day.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunni123:
jgrangran (05-07-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I never planned to go out of work at age 42 (now I'm 44) but thankfully I had STD and LTD (Short and Long Term Disability) through my job that holds me over until SSDI approves me even if it takes years. Once I learned about STD and LTD I only took jobs that had generous plans and now I've urged my niece and nephew to do so as you never know when you'll be out of work for a short or extended period of time.

I applied for SSDI in Summer 2010, denied in Dec 2010 and my SS atty who filed the initial app also filed request for reconsideration in January 2011 and now my records have been sent for review. I'm hoping to get approved but certainly not expecting it. Once I get SSDI I must pay it back to LTD (SSDI is deducted from LTD).

Last edited by SpineAZ; 05-08-2011 at 09:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Social Security certainly makes things a lot more awful on people who already are suffering a great deal of pain. I loved my job as a teacher that I was for over 20 years, then backslided badly. I moved closer to my brother who lives in a small town thinking this was going to be easier . Well it was not , I had to first take my sutistic so to a psychatrist for his hypersctivity and ager issues. Then months later, I started to talk to him. He suggested that I ought speak to their thearpist too,but it ook several months for me to finally do so. By then I told I had severe clinical depression, anxiety, i thoiught that is pretty normal stuff people get. Si I did try working a part time job that was bebeath my experience and expertise, turned out they needed a housekeeper then anything else, so Felt I was lied to on the job application. I did finally get fired , but initally was upset, the n hpaay it was over.
oNly thing that I was not prepared for was my mental health taking a nose dive , extremely. i had other illness pile on my record, and also a could psych holds I got stuck in. PLus the borderline personality disorder tapped in , but had already had this one before, but being borderline is he** and did behave in extreme behaviors. A lot of surgeries took place to fix the mess I created. And when the extreme depression was at it's worse I became psychotic.
I did file for SSDI , the wait period put me on food stamps and cheap med ical insurance.
Of course I was denied the first time, but the reconsideration level, i had more evidence of both medical and physical. So was approved then.
I have to take a lot of medications day and night. And do not like going out at all, because I turned out not trusting people and they always seem to have a hidden agenda.
To all those having to wait on their claims or having to see a alj keep fighting . It can take years to win, but it is worth the fight. I just wish the process was not so draining .

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
jgrangran (05-08-2011), sunni123 (05-08-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Closed Thread