It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

lorib64 HB User
Just got approved for SSDI, have questions

A woman from social security called to ask me some questions about a form I submitted. It was my final notice from State Disability and she wanted to make sure I hadn't received payments after that. I answered her questions and she told me I was approved for SSDI and it would take a few weeks to process.

They changed my date of onset from 7/2003 to 6/2005. That's when they turned me down the last time I applied (this was my third time applying and they changed their mind at re-consideration). I decided not to challenge the date of onset even though I haven't been able to work since 2003.

I have questions. I posted elsewhere and they said social security sends a pamphlet when they award SSDI. Will it answer my questions

Do I have to document how I spend the money?

I tried reading the social security site about taxes, but I found it confusing. I'm hoping my husband will understand it. Does turbo tax (an income tax program) calculate it?

I'll be approved for medicare in the future. Is it good insurance? I'm covered by my husband's insurance. Would it be secondary?

ETA: I posted my question elsewhere and got asked why don't I get a job or that I should just cut-back on expenses so I don't need SSDI. I didn't know what to say. If I could work I wouldn't have qualified.

I guess it's a controversial subject.

Last edited by lorib64; 03-13-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Just got approved for SSDI, have questions

Don't listen to what people say. No one understands until they are in pain. Then all of a sudden they realize. I think you have to tell them to make sure they take taxes out of your check. If not you get screwed at tax time. Good luck on getting approved. I just applied and are waiting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

You will not be required to document how you spend your SSDI money unless you are receiving benefits for your children.

Paying taxes on SSDI isn't too difficult. You'll have the option of having the taxes taken out of your monthly benefit or you can look at how much you'll be taxed when you file your annual taxes. The IRS provides a worksheet in the publication they send with your 1040 forms that helps you figure out what portion of your benefit is taxed. That can be anywhere up to 85%, depending on how you file. It's possible that your state does not tax permanent disability income at all so that factor may have a significant impact on your decision to take out monthly taxes or not.

I carry my husband on my insurance so my benefit coordinator suggested that we opt for the Med A benefit since it doesn't cost anything. That makes my insurance primary and Med A secondary. I expect it to help a lot with inpatient hospital care since he has two major surgeries to go.

It sounds like you'll have to make that decision before December 07 which is when you should be eligible. Your husband may want to call his benefits dept and ask what they recommend.

Sorry you received such an ignorant response from someone suggesting that you go back to work. Yes, there are plenty of people ripping the system off and causing hardship for those who really can't work but nobody has the right to judge. Heck, if my husband could work, I wouldn't be taking on three jobs to avoid bankruptcy. It's no picnic fighting with creditors and it would be so much easier if he could work!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

The reason they didn't go by to 2003, was because you said you filed three separate times. So they go by to the time you filed the third time.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

Rayefaye, I respectfully have to disagree. For some reason, there was not enough convincing evidence back in 2003 to gain a favorable award. It is ability based, not based on when the application was filed.

Case in point, my husband filed for the third time in '05, claiming his disability back to '02. They didn't think he was really incapable of working until he had a severe back problem occur in May '04 and that was the date they said he became disabled. Because the ALJ refuted the original date of disability, it resulted in a 'partially favorable on the record decision'. The 'partially favorable' part meant that the ALJ didn't agree with the date of disabilty and adjusted it.

Last edited by kaybee; 03-15-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
(female)

lorib64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
Rayefaye, I respectfully have to disagree. For some reason, there was not enough convincing evidence back in 2003 to gain a favorable award. It is ability based, not based on when the application was filed.
Yes, for some reason they didn't think I had strong enough medical evidence. They could have gone all the way back if the evidence was compelling

I had 3 hospitalizations before that onset date for being psychotic and the first psychotic break led to my diagnosis. They never listed the psychiatrist I had at the time as a source they used, but I called his office and they said they sent it.

They went back to the date they turned me down last time I applied. I don't think they disagreed with that decision.

Last edited by lorib64; 03-15-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

You know, now that you mention it, I remember how they 'selectively' left out pertinent medical information such as MRI's, surgical reports indicating that dh's condition was worse than anticipated and even chose not to listen to the dr. the SSA sent him to as well as his neuro surgeon. For the life of me, I don't know how they can get away with stuff like that and not be brought to task!

Final approval was based on those reports they failed to mention in their denial and there was no question they had the same reports in their possession as the ALJ did when he overruled. Go figure. I just wish someone could make them accountable for blatant disregard of necessary info!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User

Every form of insurance is primary to social security. Medicare and medicaid are always secondary. And Yes, SSDI payments to you are income and taxable. They do not pay you enough to pay to have to pay taxes though. You might want to take a close look at your husband's private medical insurance, often these insurances do not cover certain diseases, such as mental illness, to name one. And be forewarned that all employer health benefits are probably going to disappear. Politicians are looking to reform the entire US health system, and it makes sense to eliminate the tax write offs that employers get for providing health coverages.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
(female)

lorib64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael178 View Post
Every form of insurance is primary to social security. Medicare and medicaid are always secondary. And Yes, SSDI payments to you are income and taxable. .
Thank you.

Closed Thread